Mailing List Archive

2019-devel: mythpreviewgen still segfaulting on some h264-progressive recordings
Today's build for Fedora 30: c794391

I have several recordings from iptv, about a month old, that still have
no previews. They are h264 HD-ish and TTBOMK progressive-scan.

The frontend puts up brief error messages, "E Preview: 11085:"

Last night I ran a deinterlacer script on a 1-hour BBC Four HD
recording. It took about 5 hours, and plays well in the frontend and
also on Peter's leanfront; the raw recording had a video freeze on
that, a few minutes in.

But mythpreviewgen for the output segfaults immediately after opening
the H264 codec. It says the NVDEC functionality failed, although the
frontend is using it (after failing on the first run post-installation).
Previewgen segfaults when the frontend isn't running, too. And ffmpeg
decoding in the frontend is fine.

Otherwise, still looking good.

John P
Re: 2019-devel: mythpreviewgen still segfaulting on some h264-progressive recordings [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 at 14:05, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
> But mythpreviewgen for the output segfaults immediately after opening
> the H264 codec.

John

Any chance of a backtrace and logs? There's not a lot I can do without
them. A sample would be even better.

> It says the NVDEC functionality failed, although the
> frontend is using it (after failing on the first run post-installation).
> Previewgen segfaults when the frontend isn't running, too. And ffmpeg
> decoding in the frontend is fine.

The NVDEC functionality check should fail. It's a command line app so
there is no OpenGL window and hence no CUDA/NVDEC. It is possible to
create offscreen windows to use in this case but it's not something
I've looked at.

Regardless, mythpreviewgen shouldn't currently be using any hardware decoding.

Have you had a chance to test that video with master?

Thanks and regards
Mark
Re: 2019-devel: mythpreviewgen still segfaulting on some h264-progressive recordings [ In reply to ]
On 22/11/2019 08:14, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 at 14:05, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>> But mythpreviewgen for the output segfaults immediately after opening
>> the H264 codec.
>
> John
>
> Any chance of a backtrace and logs? There's not a lot I can do without
> them. A sample would be even better.

Mark: Thanks. I'm not too worried about the previews, but something is
peculiar. It seems that for *any* 1920x1080 h264 recording that I have
tried, if I rename the preview file no new one is created. New HD
recordings don't have preview images.

For 544x576 h264, previews come back when needed. Intermediate
resolutions still unpredictable.

If you don't have recordings that do this I can post a clip. I haven't
done a backtrace recently.

Regards,

John
Re: 2019-devel: mythpreviewgen still segfaulting on some h264-progressive recordings [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 at 09:51, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22/11/2019 08:14, Mark Kendall wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 at 14:05, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> But mythpreviewgen for the output segfaults immediately after opening
> >> the H264 codec.
> >
> > John
> >
> > Any chance of a backtrace and logs? There's not a lot I can do without
> > them. A sample would be even better.
> >
> Mark: Thanks. I'm not too worried about the previews, but something is
> peculiar. It seems that for *any* 1920x1080 h264 recording that I have
> tried, if I rename the preview file no new one is created. New HD
> recordings don't have preview images.
>
> For 544x576 h264, previews come back when needed. Intermediate
> resolutions still unpredictable.
>
> If you don't have recordings that do this I can post a clip. I haven't
> done a backtrace recently.

John

A clip would be useful.

I'm going to sound like a stuck record here as well - but some full
logs would help even more. I need to try and replicate the same
'conditions'.

I'd like to get the render branch merged in the next week or so -
otherwise it will start to get tricky testing before the next release.
As it stands, I'm reluctant to do so. I do not want to merge anything
that has unresolved instabilities - and mythpreviewgen crashing is a
blocker as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks again
Mark
Re: 2019-devel: mythpreviewgen still segfaulting on some h264-progressive recordings [ In reply to ]
On 22/11/2019 09:50, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 22/11/2019 08:14, Mark Kendall wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 at 14:05, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> But mythpreviewgen for the output segfaults immediately after opening
>>> the H264 codec.
>>
>> John
>>
>> Any chance of a backtrace and logs? There's not a lot I can do without
>> them. A sample would be even better.
>>
> Mark:  Thanks.  I'm not too worried about the previews, but something is
> peculiar.  It seems that for *any* 1920x1080 h264 recording that I have
> tried, if I rename the preview file no new one is created.  New HD
> recordings don't have preview images.
>
> For 544x576 h264, previews come back when needed.  Intermediate
> resolutions still unpredictable.
>
> If you don't have recordings that do this I can post a clip.  I haven't
> done a backtrace recently.

Hi Mark: Your latest post on this seems to have vanished from this box,
and the F30 box with the HD recordings is now running master, where some
new previews from HD have been created but with severe 'line-hold'
problems; and when I tried from a konsole I got an omx complaint and a
segfault. Here's a clip that I made earlier.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yQjyTQNgy9mwXpdl7jtZbX17P5R6tgCu

Re: 2019-devel: mythpreviewgen still segfaulting on some h264-progressive recordings [ In reply to ]
Thanks John,

Should be fixed in the render branch. Looks like it was a change in
the FFmpeg/libswscale implementation - I would expect the same issues
in master.

Regards
Mark