Mailing List Archive

Mythfrontend locks up on android
My android frontend on fire 4K occasionally (once or twice a week),
locks up and needs to be restarted. This does not happen during
playback, but often after ending playback when the dialog comes up
asking whether to delete or save the recording. It also happens randomly
at other times in the GUI.

Has anybody else seen this?

It used to be that I could just press "Home" on the remote and mythtv
would be killed. With the latest code I have to go into setup
applications and "force stop" before it can restart.

Possibly the hangs could be due to a bad wifi connection. Sometimes the
fire stick loses the wifi connection. Perhaps I should revert to an
ethernet connection, however the fire stick has a habit of forgetting it
has ethernet and needing a reboot to see the ethernet attachment again.

I am not sure how to debug this as it is not easily reproduced. When it
does happen I am not in a position to start a debugging session.

Peter
Re: Mythfrontend locks up on android [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 4:45 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> My android frontend on fire 4K occasionally (once or twice a week),
> locks up and needs to be restarted. This does not happen during
> playback, but often after ending playback when the dialog comes up
> asking whether to delete or save the recording. It also happens randomly
> at other times in the GUI.
>
> Has anybody else seen this?

Yes, on the Shield, but only with the apk I got from you. I have not had
time to try and build a new apk myself and I was going to do that before
reporting the issue.

It used to be that I could just press "Home" on the remote and mythtv
> would be killed. With the latest code I have to go into setup
> applications and "force stop" before it can restart.

Yes, for this specific problem, I am seeing the same.

> Possibly the hangs could be due to a bad wifi connection. Sometimes the
> fire stick loses the wifi connection. Perhaps I should revert to an
> ethernet connection, however the fire stick has a habit of forgetting it
> has ethernet and needing a reboot to see the ethernet attachment again.

My shield is hard-wired. I am not using Wifi with it.

> I am not sure how to debug this as it is not easily reproduced. When it
> does happen I am not in a position to start a debugging session.

I had it happen several times in a row, and then it has been well behaved
since then. However, I have not had time to use it much so I cannot report
on a good sampling.

John
Re: Mythfrontend locks up on android [ In reply to ]
On 16/05/2019 8:50 am, John P Poet wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 4:45 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com
> <mailto:pb.mythtv@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> My android frontend on fire 4K occasionally (once or twice a week),
> locks up and needs to be restarted. This does not happen during
> playback, but often after ending playback when the dialog comes up
> asking whether to delete or save the recording. It also happens
> randomly
> at other times in the GUI.
>
> Has anybody else seen this?
>

> Yes, on the Shield, but only with the apk I got from you.  I have not
> had time to try and build a new apk myself and I was going to do that
> before reporting the issue.

Mine has been pretty stable on the shield since enabling background
mode. This is what requires force stop. It also allows fast recovery
after sleep. I havent need force stop for quite a while now as recovery
is fast and this was the only reason I needed force stop in the past.

I do see an issue where playback pauses after it has been running
(though not playback continuously) for a long while (multiple days). A
shutdown of myth and then restart fixes this. I suspect this is due to a
leak somewhere. On linux mythfrontend in top uses 10.9 G of virtual mem
but I dont know where this is required.

I did try on my H96pro (S912 based) a few weeks back and was less than
successful. I suspect ram bus performance is an issue contributing to
this. I can make this apk available if required but should be equivalent
to peter's (apr 25).

> It used to be that I could just press "Home" on the remote and mythtv
> would be killed. With the latest code I have to go into setup
> applications and "force stop" before it can restart.
>

> Yes, for this specific problem, I am seeing the same.
>
> Possibly the hangs could be due to a bad wifi connection.
> Sometimes the
> fire stick loses the wifi connection. Perhaps I should revert to an
> ethernet connection, however the fire stick has a habit of
> forgetting it
> has ethernet and needing a reboot to see the ethernet attachment
> again.
>

> My shield is hard-wired.  I am not using Wifi with it.

I am also using wired network.

I havent tried the render branch yet.

Mark

Re: Mythfrontend locks up on android [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 09:37:19AM +1000, Mark Spieth wrote:

> On 16/05/2019 8:50 am, John P Poet wrote:
> > On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 4:45 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com
> > <mailto:pb.mythtv@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > My android frontend on fire 4K occasionally (once or twice a week),
> > locks up and needs to be restarted. This does not happen during
> > playback, but often after ending playback when the dialog comes up
> > asking whether to delete or save the recording. It also happens
> > randomly
> > at other times in the GUI.
> >
> > Has anybody else seen this?
> >

> > Yes, on the Shield, but only with the apk I got from you.? I have not
> > had time to try and build a new apk myself and I was going to do that
> > before reporting the issue.
> >
> Mine has been pretty stable on the shield since enabling background mode.
> This is what requires force stop. It also allows fast recovery after sleep.
> I havent need force stop for quite a while now as recovery is fast and this
> was the only reason I needed force stop in the past.

It's the same for me. Force stops are very rare nowadays for me.

> I do see an issue where playback pauses after it has been running (though
> not playback continuously) for a long while (multiple days). A shutdown of
> myth and then restart fixes this. I suspect this is due to a leak somewhere.
> On linux mythfrontend in top uses 10.9 G of virtual mem but I dont know
> where this is required.
>
> I did try on my H96pro (S912 based) a few weeks back and was less than
> successful. I suspect ram bus performance is an issue contributing to this.
> I can make this apk available if required but should be equivalent to
> peter's (apr 25).

I suspect MythTV is too heavyweight for systems like the FireTVs and
H96Pros. Those systems are probably better off having background
processing turned off. Is there anyway an installed app can toggle
that setting itself? If not, we might have to build separate apks
with and without background processing enabled.

> > It used to be that I could just press "Home" on the remote and mythtv
> > would be killed. With the latest code I have to go into setup
> > applications and "force stop" before it can restart.
> >

> > Yes, for this specific problem, I am seeing the same.
> >
> > Possibly the hangs could be due to a bad wifi connection.
> > Sometimes the
> > fire stick loses the wifi connection. Perhaps I should revert to an
> > ethernet connection, however the fire stick has a habit of
> > forgetting it
> > has ethernet and needing a reboot to see the ethernet attachment
> > again.
> >

> > My shield is hard-wired.? I am not using Wifi with it.
>
> I am also using wired network.

I'm all wired too.

> I havent tried the render branch yet.

I've dabbled with it a little on my Shields but not since the
background processing issues got resolved. I've been waiting for the
elusive, free time and for Mark K to merge those changes into the
render branch. Note that he might have already merged them. I've
just been too busy to check.

David

> Mark
>

> > I am not sure how to debug this as it is not easily reproduced.
> > When it
> > does happen I am not in a position to start a debugging session.
> >

> > I had it happen several times in a row, and then it has been well
> > behaved since then.? However, I have not had time to use it much so I
> > cannot report on a good sampling.
> > John

David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Mythfrontend locks up on android [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 9:38 AM Mark Spieth <mark@digivation.com.au> wrote:

> On 16/05/2019 8:50 am, John P Poet wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 4:45 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My android frontend on fire 4K occasionally (once or twice a week),
>> locks up and needs to be restarted. This does not happen during
>> playback, but often after ending playback when the dialog comes up
>> asking whether to delete or save the recording. It also happens randomly
>> at other times in the GUI.
>>
>> Has anybody else seen this?
>

> Yes, on the Shield, but only with the apk I got from you. I have not had time to try and build a new apk myself and I was going to do that before reporting the issue.
>
> Mine has been pretty stable on the shield since enabling background mode. This is what requires force stop. It also allows fast recovery after sleep. I havent need force stop for quite a while now as recovery is fast and this was the only reason I needed force stop in the past.
>
> I do see an issue where playback pauses after it has been running (though not playback continuously) for a long while (multiple days). A shutdown of myth and then restart fixes this. I suspect this is due to a leak somewhere. On linux mythfrontend in top uses 10.9 G of virtual mem but I dont know where this is required.
>
> I did try on my H96pro (S912 based) a few weeks back and was less than successful. I suspect ram bus performance is an issue contributing to this. I can make this apk available if required but should be equivalent to peter's (apr 25).
>>
>> It used to be that I could just press "Home" on the remote and mythtv
>> would be killed. With the latest code I have to go into setup
>> applications and "force stop" before it can restart.
>

> Yes, for this specific problem, I am seeing the same.
>

>> Possibly the hangs could be due to a bad wifi connection. Sometimes the
>> fire stick loses the wifi connection. Perhaps I should revert to an
>> ethernet connection, however the fire stick has a habit of forgetting it
>> has ethernet and needing a reboot to see the ethernet attachment again.
>

> My shield is hard-wired. I am not using Wifi with it.
>
> I am also using wired network.
>
> I havent tried the render branch yet.
>
> Mark
>

>> I am not sure how to debug this as it is not easily reproduced. When it
>> does happen I am not in a position to start a debugging session.
>

> I had it happen several times in a row, and then it has been well behaved since then. However, I have not had time to use it much so I cannot report on a good sampling.
>
> John

Not sure whether relevant to discussion but I experienced random
lockups when using the Shield frontend (both wired and wireless) using
pre-built apk's from Peter which did not occur on other frontends.
I eventually tracked it down to "optimisations" in the sql server on
the backend (Mysql). I have removed these optimisations and use a
more or less stock Ubuntu configuration. That was two months ago and
since then not a single lockup. Not sure whether the sql libraries or
default settings used in the Android builds behave differently to
Linux frontends?
Andrew
Re: Mythfrontend locks up on android [ In reply to ]
On 16/05/2019 11:49 am, myth tv wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 9:38 AM Mark Spieth <mark@digivation.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> On 16/05/2019 8:50 am, John P Poet wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 4:45 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My android frontend on fire 4K occasionally (once or twice a week),
>>> locks up and needs to be restarted. This does not happen during
>>> playback, but often after ending playback when the dialog comes up
>>> asking whether to delete or save the recording. It also happens randomly
>>> at other times in the GUI.
>>>
>>> Has anybody else seen this?
>>
>> Yes, on the Shield, but only with the apk I got from you. I have not had time to try and build a new apk myself and I was going to do that before reporting the issue.
>>
>> Mine has been pretty stable on the shield since enabling background mode. This is what requires force stop. It also allows fast recovery after sleep. I havent need force stop for quite a while now as recovery is fast and this was the only reason I needed force stop in the past.
>>
>> I do see an issue where playback pauses after it has been running (though not playback continuously) for a long while (multiple days). A shutdown of myth and then restart fixes this. I suspect this is due to a leak somewhere. On linux mythfrontend in top uses 10.9 G of virtual mem but I dont know where this is required.
>>
>> I did try on my H96pro (S912 based) a few weeks back and was less than successful. I suspect ram bus performance is an issue contributing to this. I can make this apk available if required but should be equivalent to peter's (apr 25).
>>> It used to be that I could just press "Home" on the remote and mythtv
>>> would be killed. With the latest code I have to go into setup
>>> applications and "force stop" before it can restart.
>>
>> Yes, for this specific problem, I am seeing the same.
>>
>>> Possibly the hangs could be due to a bad wifi connection. Sometimes the
>>> fire stick loses the wifi connection. Perhaps I should revert to an
>>> ethernet connection, however the fire stick has a habit of forgetting it
>>> has ethernet and needing a reboot to see the ethernet attachment again.
>>
>> My shield is hard-wired. I am not using Wifi with it.
>>
>> I am also using wired network.
>>
>> I havent tried the render branch yet.

The other thing I'm seeing occasionally on the shield is a playback stop
due to waiting for buffering. Not sure why.

Mark

Re: Mythfrontend locks up on android [ In reply to ]
On 5/15/19 7:37 PM, Mark Spieth wrote:

> On 16/05/2019 8:50 am, John P Poet wrote:
>> On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 4:45 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com
>> <mailto:pb.mythtv@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> My android frontend on fire 4K occasionally (once or twice a week),
>> locks up and needs to be restarted. This does not happen during
>> playback, but often after ending playback when the dialog comes up
>> asking whether to delete or save the recording. It also happens
>> randomly
>> at other times in the GUI.
>>
>> Has anybody else seen this?
>>

>> Yes, on the Shield, but only with the apk I got from you.  I have not
>> had time to try and build a new apk myself and I was going to do that
>> before reporting the issue.
>>
> Mine has been pretty stable on the shield since enabling background
> mode. This is what requires force stop. It also allows fast recovery
> after sleep. I havent need force stop for quite a while now as
> recovery is fast and this was the only reason I needed force stop in
> the past.
>
> I do see an issue where playback pauses after it has been running
> (though not playback continuously) for a long while (multiple days). A
> shutdown of myth and then restart fixes this. I suspect this is due to
> a leak somewhere. On linux mythfrontend in top uses 10.9 G of virtual
> mem but I dont know where this is required.
>
> I did try on my H96pro (S912 based) a few weeks back and was less than
> successful. I suspect ram bus performance is an issue contributing to
> this. I can make this apk available if required but should be
> equivalent to peter's (apr 25).
>
>> It used to be that I could just press "Home" on the remote and
>> mythtv
>> would be killed. With the latest code I have to go into setup
>> applications and "force stop" before it can restart.
>>

>> Yes, for this specific problem, I am seeing the same.
>>
>> Possibly the hangs could be due to a bad wifi connection.
>> Sometimes the
>> fire stick loses the wifi connection. Perhaps I should revert to an
>> ethernet connection, however the fire stick has a habit of
>> forgetting it
>> has ethernet and needing a reboot to see the ethernet attachment
>> again.
>>

>> My shield is hard-wired.  I am not using Wifi with it.
>
> I am also using wired network.
>
> I havent tried the render branch yet.
>
> Mark
>

>> I am not sure how to debug this as it is not easily reproduced.
>> When it
>> does happen I am not in a position to start a debugging session.
>>

>> I had it happen several times in a row, and then it has been well
>> behaved since then.  However, I have not had time to use it much so I
>> cannot report on a good sampling.
>> John

I have changed my wifi setup and it has not locked for two days, so I
hope that solves it. I have found before that mysql has problems when
the connection dies. It seems to be unable to tell the difference
between a query that is taking a long time and a connection that is
broken, so on a broken connection it waits for a few minutes until it
gets a timeout. Perhaps something like this could be happening.

Peter