that far.

In *very limited* testing, the attached patch successfully re-opens the
socket, and allows playback to continue. If you have a chance, please test
it to make sure it works in your scenario.

If it does work for you, then we need to decide if it is an acceptable
"solution", or if we need to figure out where and why the socket is getting
closed.

John
Re: Remote frontend fails playback after 5 minute pause [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 02:22:41PM -0700, John P Poet wrote:
> David,
>
> I spent several hours last night trying to track down this issue. It seems
> that RemoteFile::Read() is getting zero bytes from the backend even though
> the backend seems to be indicating that it is sending data. This only
> happens if the playback is paused for at least 5 minutes, so I am guessing
> there is a timeout somewhere that closes the socket, but I have not dug
> that far.
>
> In *very limited* testing, the attached patch successfully re-opens the
> socket, and allows playback to continue. If you have a chance, please test
> it to make sure it works in your scenario.
>
> If it does work for you, then we need to decide if it is an acceptable
> "solution", or if we need to figure out where and why the socket is getting
> closed.

I will try to test it this weekend. Only the frontend needs it,
right? Note that I haven't seen the long pause problem in quite some
time, though.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Remote frontend fails playback after 5 minute pause [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 4:00 PM David Engel <david@istwok.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 02:22:41PM -0700, John P Poet wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > I spent several hours last night trying to track down this issue. It
> seems
> > that RemoteFile::Read() is getting zero bytes from the backend even
> though
> > the backend seems to be indicating that it is sending data. This only
> > happens if the playback is paused for at least 5 minutes, so I am
> guessing
> > there is a timeout somewhere that closes the socket, but I have not dug
> > that far.
> >
> > In *very limited* testing, the attached patch successfully re-opens the
> > socket, and allows playback to continue. If you have a chance, please
> test
> > it to make sure it works in your scenario.
> >
> > If it does work for you, then we need to decide if it is an acceptable
> > "solution", or if we need to figure out where and why the socket is
> getting
> > closed.
>
> I will try to test it this weekend. Only the frontend needs it,
> right? Note that I haven't seen the long pause problem in quite some
> time, though.

Yes, this is only needed on the frontend.
One of the reasons it took me so long to debug, is that it takes a pause of
at least 5 minutes on a remote frontend.

John