Mailing List Archive

mediamonitor: now ported to MythUI but UI to selection preferred media handler wasn't restored....
Guys,

I see media monitor now is ported to MythUI dialogs (2684b476). Good!

In past there was removed some very useful media monitor functionality because of media wasn’t using MythUI dialogs: it was in 24c5575

Now I see media monitor finally has MythUI support but reading code - removed in 24c5575 functionality wasn’t restored (or I’m wrong)?

Is there chance to restore this functionality?

Re: mediamonitor: now ported to MythUI but UI to selection preferred media handler wasn't restored.... [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 17:59:55 +0100
Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I see media monitor now is ported to MythUI dialogs (2684b476). Good!
>
> In past there was removed some very useful media monitor
> functionality because of media wasn’t using MythUI dialogs: it was in
> 24c5575
>
> Now I see media monitor finally has MythUI support but reading code -
> removed in 24c5575 functionality wasn’t restored (or I’m wrong)?
>
> Is there chance to restore this functionality?

Correct.

I updated the UI because it was blocking removal of deprecated code.

However the monitor is still not functional because it needs
udisks2 support.

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12307
Re: mediamonitor: now ported to MythUI but UI to selection preferred media handler wasn't restored.... [ In reply to ]
> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Roger Siddons <dizygotheca@ntlworld.com> w dniu 15.01.2019, o godz. 18:16:
>

> Correct.
>
> I updated the UI because it was blocking removal of deprecated code.
>
> However the monitor is still not functional because it needs
> udisks2 support.
>
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12307

Ok - will we implement then support for udisks2?

If not - is it possible to restore removed functionality for users having udisk1 (like i.e. MiniMyth2)?

br
Re: mediamonitor: now ported to MythUI but UI to selection preferred media handler wasn't restored.... [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 18:30:28 +0100
Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Wiadomo?? napisana przez Roger Siddons <dizygotheca@ntlworld.com> w
> > dniu 15.01.2019, o godz. 18:16:
> >

> > Correct.
> >
> > I updated the UI because it was blocking removal of deprecated code.
> >
> > However the monitor is still not functional because it needs
> > udisks2 support.
> >
> > https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12307
>
> Ok - will we implement then support for udisks2?

The ticket's just waiting for someone to grab it!

> If not - is it possible to restore removed functionality for users
> having udisk1 (like i.e. MiniMyth2)?
>
> br

You didn't respond when I asked on IRC.
If you have udisk1 then, in theory, it should still work.
The main distros no longer ship it, last time I looked.

Re: mediamonitor: now ported to MythUI but UI to selection preferred media handler wasn't restored.... [ In reply to ]
> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Roger Siddons <dizygotheca@ntlworld.com> w dniu 15.01.2019, o godz. 18:59:
>

> The ticket's just waiting for someone to grab it!
>

>> If not - is it possible to restore removed functionality for users
>> having udisk1 (like i.e. MiniMyth2)?
>>
>> br
>
> You didn't respond when I asked on IRC.
> If you have udisk1 then, in theory, it should still work.
> The main distros no longer ship it, last time I looked.

Roger,

I’m not sure do we handling original’s issue (#12689) in optimal way here….

Current code is more broken just before (inserting mp3 disc with pictures just launches gallery).
So now we can expect much more bug reports that those from corner case (which us rather rare: users with multiple drives).

I’m not understanding why You choose this way of tackling issue instead of:
1.fixing bug
2.adding MythUI (when time allows)
3.adding udisks2 (not replacing of udisks1) (when time allows)

All we are laking of time - but Your approach makes not only not fixing issue but also:
-removes functionality for 2y
-creating even bigger issue now

sorry for not so nice message - but all this is simply pain for me….

hope You understands my view here!

Re: mediamonitor: now ported to MythUI but UI to selection preferred media handler wasn't restored.... [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 21:00:22 +0100
Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Roger,
>
> I’m not sure do we handling original’s issue (#12689) in optimal way
> here….
>
> Current code is more broken just before (inserting mp3 disc with
> pictures just launches gallery). So now we can expect much more bug
> reports that those from corner case (which us rather rare: users with
> multiple drives).
>
> I’m not understanding why You choose this way of tackling issue
> instead of: 1.fixing bug
> 2.adding MythUI (when time allows)
> 3.adding udisks2 (not replacing of udisks1) (when time allows)
>
> All we are laking of time - but Your approach makes not only not
> fixing issue but also: -removes functionality for 2y
> -creating even bigger issue now
>
> sorry for not so nice message - but all this is simply pain for me….
>
> hope You understands my view here!

Well, it was a patch from someone else that caused the fault you
referenced: the frontend would apparently 'lock-up' on startup if 2 or
more media drives were detected.

That's not really a corner case - many frontends have 2 USB drives
permanently attached.
So I discussed it with the author and reverted the patch to resolve the
ticket in the meantime. I didn't hear back. There may be an updated
patch - I haven't looked recently.

Although udisks1 can operate alongside udisks2, Ubuntu stopped shipping
udisks1 a long time ago so to even test MM I would presumably have to
build from scratch. (I tested the recent UI change via a test harness).

I've never used the media monitor and I'm not that familiar with the
code, I'm also not competent to tackle udisks2 nor the competing
alternatives (storaged etc.)

Frankly, I'm not interested in platform-specific solutions. I would
choose to re-implement it using QStorageInfo but it's not high on my
to-do list, I'm afraid.

If there's no fixed patch and the original is acceptable for
Minimyth2, wouldn't the easiest solution be to reapply it in the
Minimyth2 build ? Apart from the dialog change, the code hasn't changed
in years. I can help merge it if necessary.
Re: mediamonitor: now ported to MythUI but UI to selection preferred media handler wasn't restored.... [ In reply to ]
On 15/01/2019 17:30, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:

>> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Roger Siddons <dizygotheca@ntlworld.com> w dniu 15.01.2019, o godz. 18:16:
>>

>> Correct.
>>
>> I updated the UI because it was blocking removal of deprecated code.
>>
>> However the monitor is still not functional because it needs
>> udisks2 support.
>>
>> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12307
>
> Ok - will we implement then support for udisks2?

It needs somebody who
a) knows the use case, and
b) is prepared to implement it.

I technically own the ticket, but have no time to work on
it, nor do I ever use the functionality it represents.

> If not - is it possible to restore removed functionality for users having udisk1 (like i.e. MiniMyth2)?

As Roger indicated, the vast majority of distros no longer ship udisks1,
and fedora has even moved on from udisks2 to storaged

The functionality (media monitor wise) which uses udisks1 has never been
removed, it just doesn't build because there is no longer distro support
for udisks1

Regards
Stuart