no longer working.

Option --logpath should create a log file in the directory specified.
The --logpath option is still accepted but no log file is written
Option --syslog local7 should write messages to syslog or to a log file
as specified in a file in /etc/rsyslog.d. The option is accepted but no
log messages are getting to syslog.

I see some logging things were removed, but these options are still needed.

Peter
Re: MythTV Log options no longer working [ In reply to ]
On 12/21/18 2:46 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> After a pull of master today, some mythtv logging options that I use are no longer working.
>
> Option --logpath should create a log file in the directory specified. The --logpath option is still accepted but no log file is written
> Option --syslog local7 should write messages to syslog or to a log file as specified in a file in /etc/rsyslog.d. The option is accepted but no
> log messages are getting to syslog.
>
> I see some logging things were removed, but these options are still needed.
>
> Peter

I saw the conversation between warpme_: & hampton: on IRC Thursday and was
checking myself. I believe 3109af7cf8 is OK but was only looked at
--systemd-journal and --logpath:

aea1635b95 Fix issue with schema update for HDHomeRun devices.
687b219c1c Perl/Python Bindings: Update SCHEMA_VERSION
b802aeed84 Fix shadowing of local or global variables. (plugins)
29ea055508 Fix shadowing of local or global variables. (libs)
afa8ac87a0 Fix shadowing of local or global variables. (programs)
05257c12d6 Clean up -Wshadow warnings related to QEvent.
45c560920f Remove the obsolete mythlogserver code.
3d960b728b Final cleanup for removing mythlogserver.
a036c06cfc Remove libs/libmythbase/loggingserver.{h,cpp}.
3109af7cf8 Remove mythlogserver program. <------- Logging OK with mythlogserver removed.

Interesting that --systemd-journal is working on my 16.04 host but not
on my 18.04 one. Both on aea1635b95. Haven't figured that out yet.

--
Bill
Re: MythTV Log options no longer working [ In reply to ]
On 12/21/18 6:13 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 12/21/18 2:46 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> After a pull of master today, some mythtv logging options that I use
>> are no longer working.
>>
>> Option --logpath should create a log file in the directory specified.
>> The --logpath option is still accepted but no log file is written
>> Option --syslog local7 should write messages to syslog or to a log
>> file as specified in a file in /etc/rsyslog.d. The option is accepted
>> but no log messages are getting to syslog.
>>
>> I see some logging things were removed, but these options are still
>> needed.
>>
>> Peter
>
> I saw the conversation between warpme_: & hampton: on IRC Thursday and
> was
> checking myself. I believe 3109af7cf8 is OK but was only looked at
> --systemd-journal and --logpath:
>
> aea1635b95 Fix issue with schema update for HDHomeRun devices.
> 687b219c1c Perl/Python Bindings: Update SCHEMA_VERSION
> b802aeed84 Fix shadowing of local or global variables. (plugins)
> 29ea055508 Fix shadowing of local or global variables. (libs)
> afa8ac87a0 Fix shadowing of local or global variables. (programs)
> 05257c12d6 Clean up -Wshadow warnings related to QEvent.
> 45c560920f Remove the obsolete mythlogserver code.
> 3d960b728b Final cleanup for removing mythlogserver.
> a036c06cfc Remove libs/libmythbase/loggingserver.{h,cpp}.
> 3109af7cf8 Remove mythlogserver program. <------- Logging OK with
> mythlogserver removed.
>
> Interesting that --systemd-journal is working on my 16.04 host but not
> on my 18.04 one. Both on aea1635b95. Haven't figured that out yet.

I see that conversation. A couple of other comments
- The --syslog and --logpath logs show the source file and line number
with every message, but the stdout log does not. The source file and
line number are very useful in syslog and logpath logs.
- Ubuntu package creates its logs exclusively from the syslog option, so
with current master they will see no logs.
- mythtv-light for raspberry pi creates its log using the --logpath option.

Peter
Re: MythTV Log options no longer working [ In reply to ]
On 12/21/18 5:13 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> Interesting that --systemd-journal is working on my 16.04 host but not
> on my 18.04 one. Both on aea1635b95. Haven't figured that out yet.

Solved, I usually use --logpath ... and --quiet in my .service file but left
--quiet out on one box. Seems with --quiet, --systemd-journal doesn't log.

Just something to note if testing.

--
Bill