Mailing List Archive

no picture, no sound ... ?
Hi Isaac,

A thousand apologies for persistently misspelling your name.

From: Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu>

Weird. Well, I suppose you could insert debugging statements in
throughout the XJ::Init() function in libs/libNuppelVideo/XJ.cpp and see
exactly where it stops.. Other than that, dunno what else to have you
do, really.

I tracked the problem down to the "while (!foundit)" loop in
NuppelVideoPlayer::OpenFile. It never finds the right frame. The info on
the first few frames looks like:

frameheader.frametype: R
frameheader.comptype: T
frameheader.timecode: 1785358954
frameheader.packetlength: 1785358954

frameheader.frametype: S
frameheader.comptype: V
frameheader.timecode: 0
frameheader.packetlength: 0

frameheader.frametype: S
frameheader.comptype: A
frameheader.timecode: 0
frameheader.packetlength: 0

frameheader.frametype: V
frameheader.comptype: 1
frameheader.timecode: 75
frameheader.packetlength: 41354

frameheader.frametype: V
frameheader.comptype: 1
frameheader.timecode: 109
frameheader.packetlength: 40238

From then on, we get a mixture of V-1 and V-2 frames interspersed with
periodic R-T, S-V, S-A frame sequences. The R-T timecodes and packet
lengths are always the same large number, the S-V time codes increase (but
at a slower rate than the V-1/V-2 timecodes) but always have 0 packet
lengths, and the S-A time codes and packet lengths are always 0.

So, Isaac, you were absolutely correct: the player is hanging. Does the
information above give any indication for what's going on, or where to
look?

Cheers,

- pz.

--
John Pezaris, Ph.D.
pz@hms.harvard.edu
Re: no picture, no sound ... ? [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 12 October 2002 06:13 pm, Dr. J. S. Pezaris wrote:
> I tracked the problem down to the "while (!foundit)" loop in
> NuppelVideoPlayer::OpenFile. It never finds the right frame. The info on
> the first few frames looks like:
>
> From then on, we get a mixture of V-1 and V-2 frames interspersed with
> periodic R-T, S-V, S-A frame sequences. The R-T timecodes and packet
> lengths are always the same large number, the S-V time codes increase (but
> at a slower rate than the V-1/V-2 timecodes) but always have 0 packet
> lengths, and the S-A time codes and packet lengths are always 0.
>
> So, Isaac, you were absolutely correct: the player is hanging. Does the
> information above give any indication for what's going on, or where to
> look?

Do you see any frames with a frametype of 'A'? Hm. You wouldn't happen to
have arts or esd or something else hogging the /dev/dsp device, would you?

Isaac