Mailing List Archive

no picture, no sound ... ?
From: Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu>

No, it's hanging. It should either be printing an error message saying why
it couldn't setup the Xv stuff, or saying what Xv port it was using after
it sucessfully set it up. It's not doing either, so it's hanging =)

Aha. I'm at a loss, then, to explain why the ringbuf.nuv file is growing
as mythtv runs (and not coincidentally, the disk access light shows
activity).

You said xawtv only works when you use the -noxv switch? I assume it hangs
as well?

Not exactly. Without the -noxv switch, xawtv is fully functional, except
that the opened window shows a display that is garbled (typically purplish
lines as if sync wasn't locked-in) and unchanging. The UI works, and when
you change channels, it updates the garbled display to a new, fixed,
garbled display.

With the -noxv switch, xawtv works fine, except there's no audio. The
opened window is live TV, changing channels works fine, etc., the UI works
as you'd expect, save the lack of audio. The audio is fine when using
"radio" to use the FM tuner part of the board. A stereo patch cord is in
place between the TV caputre card output and the motherboard audio input,
and is required for "radio" operation, so is functional. But right now,
working video is the larger issue.

> Is there some other tool that understands the .nuv format that I can use
> to check if the contents of ringbuf.nuv is valid?

Nope, there's not. Well, if you record an entire program and then go to
the 'Watch a Recording' screen in mythfrontend, it'll play a little preview
video of the file, without sound..

Can I rename ringbuf.nuv to an appropriate filename so that the video
player can find it? I'll start recording a show in a few minutes, in any
case to have something to check.

Cheers,

- pz.

--
John Pezaris, Ph.D.
pz@hms.harvard.edu
Re: no picture, no sound ... ? [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 12 October 2002 02:57 pm, Dr. J. S. Pezaris wrote:
> From: Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu>
>
> No, it's hanging. It should either be printing an error message saying
> why it couldn't setup the Xv stuff, or saying what Xv port it was using
> after it sucessfully set it up. It's not doing either, so it's hanging =)
>
> Aha. I'm at a loss, then, to explain why the ringbuf.nuv file is growing
> as mythtv runs (and not coincidentally, the disk access light shows
> activity).

Threads. The playback threads are what's hanging, the recording threads are
still going fine.

> You said xawtv only works when you use the -noxv switch? I assume it
> hangs as well?
>
> Not exactly. Without the -noxv switch, xawtv is fully functional, except
> that the opened window shows a display that is garbled (typically purplish
> lines as if sync wasn't locked-in) and unchanging. The UI works, and when
> you change channels, it updates the garbled display to a new, fixed,
> garbled display.
>
> With the -noxv switch, xawtv works fine, except there's no audio. The
> opened window is live TV, changing channels works fine, etc., the UI works
> as you'd expect, save the lack of audio. The audio is fine when using
> "radio" to use the FM tuner part of the board. A stereo patch cord is in
> place between the TV caputre card output and the motherboard audio input,
> and is required for "radio" operation, so is functional. But right now,
> working video is the larger issue.

Weird. Well, I suppose you could insert debugging statements in throughout
the XJ::Init() function in libs/libNuppelVideo/XJ.cpp and see exactly where
it stops.. Other than that, dunno what else to have you do, really.

> > Is there some other tool that understands the .nuv format that I can
> > use to check if the contents of ringbuf.nuv is valid?
>
> Nope, there's not. Well, if you record an entire program and then go to
> the 'Watch a Recording' screen in mythfrontend, it'll play a little
> preview video of the file, without sound..
>
> Can I rename ringbuf.nuv to an appropriate filename so that the video
> player can find it? I'll start recording a show in a few minutes, in any
> case to have something to check.

Nope, it needs to have a database entry to show up in the list of recordings,
and the only way you can get that is to finish a recording.

Isaac