Mailing List Archive

no picture, no sound ... ?
Hi All,

I've got a Shuttle FV25 motherboard with a 1.4 GHz Celeron, a built-in
Savage S4 Pro (PM133) video card, and a AverTV Studio video capture card
(previously, I was trying to build a VIA C3-based system, but that
processor just doesn't have the necessary horsepower). MythTV installs and
compiles fine, database loads, and everything looks good until it comes time
to use it. Then, MythTV says:

media-box$ mythtv
Probed: Television
Probed: Composite1
Probed: S-Video
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
using rtjpeg

This seems normal, and the buffer file (/data/video/ringbuf.nuv) starts
growing at what seems a reasonable rate, but there's no video and no audio.
No video window is opened. "ps" indicates 30-40% processor load on the
480x480 recording.

Xawtv works *only* with a -noxv switch, and then works fine. "radio" (to
control the FM tuner in the AverTV Studio card) works fine, too. mplayer
works well, although I don't know enough to fully interpret the verbose
status messages. xvinfo reports that there is a v4l device (Adapter #0)
and a Savage device (Adapter #1).

Anyone have a good test to insure Xv is working correctly on my hardware?

Other tests to run to deduce what's going on?

Cheers,

- pz.

--
John Pezaris, Ph.D.
pz@hms.harvard.edu

--g9C4U6d07754.1034397006/pz-desk.med.harvard.edu--

Re: no picture, no sound ... ? [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 12 October 2002 12:31 am, John Pezaris wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've got a Shuttle FV25 motherboard with a 1.4 GHz Celeron, a built-in
> Savage S4 Pro (PM133) video card, and a AverTV Studio video capture card
> (previously, I was trying to build a VIA C3-based system, but that
> processor just doesn't have the necessary horsepower). MythTV installs and
> compiles fine, database loads, and everything looks good until it comes
> time to use it. Then, MythTV says:
>
> media-box$ mythtv
> Probed: Television
> Probed: Composite1
> Probed: S-Video
> Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
> using rtjpeg
>
> This seems normal, and the buffer file (/data/video/ringbuf.nuv) starts
> growing at what seems a reasonable rate, but there's no video and no audio.
> No video window is opened. "ps" indicates 30-40% processor load on the
> 480x480 recording.
>
> Xawtv works *only* with a -noxv switch, and then works fine. "radio" (to
> control the FM tuner in the AverTV Studio card) works fine, too. mplayer
> works well, although I don't know enough to fully interpret the verbose
> status messages. xvinfo reports that there is a v4l device (Adapter #0)
> and a Savage device (Adapter #1).
>
> Anyone have a good test to insure Xv is working correctly on my hardware?

What's the entire output of xvinfo?

> Other tests to run to deduce what's going on?

Well, you could run it in gdb and hit ctl-c after it hangs trying to setup the
video output, see where it is and all that.

Isaac
Re: no picture, no sound ... ? [ In reply to ]
From: Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu>

On Saturday 12 October 2002 12:31 am, John Pezaris wrote:
> Anyone have a good test to insure Xv is working correctly on my hardware?

What's the entire output of xvinfo?

Hi Issac,

Here's the output of xvinfo --

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
Adaptor #0: "video4linux"
number of ports: 1
port base: 55
operations supported: PutVideo
supported visuals:
depth 24, visualID 0x23
depth 24, visualID 0x24
number of attributes: 8
"XV_ENCODING" (range -1000 to 1000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range -1000 to 1000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_CONTRAST" (range -1000 to 1000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is -157)
"XV_SATURATION" (range -1000 to 1000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is -8)
"XV_HUE" (range -1000 to 1000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_MUTE" (range 0 to 1)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_FREQ" (range 0 to 16000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_COLORKEY" (range 0 to 16777215)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 66046)
number of encodings: 21
encoding ID #0: "pal-television"
size: 768 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #1: "ntsc-television"
size: 640 x 480
rate: 0.016683
encoding ID #2: "secam-television"
size: 768 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #3: "palnc-television"
size: 640 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #4: "palm-television"
size: 640 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #5: "paln-television"
size: 768 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #6: "ntscjp-television"
size: 640 x 480
rate: 0.016683
encoding ID #7: "pal-composite1"
size: 768 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #8: "ntsc-composite1"
size: 640 x 480
rate: 0.016683
encoding ID #9: "secam-composite1"
size: 768 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #10: "palnc-composite1"
size: 640 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #11: "palm-composite1"
size: 640 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #12: "paln-composite1"
size: 768 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #13: "ntscjp-composite1"
size: 640 x 480
rate: 0.016683
encoding ID #14: "pal-svideo"
size: 768 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #15: "ntsc-svideo"
size: 640 x 480
rate: 0.016683
encoding ID #16: "secam-svideo"
size: 768 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #17: "palnc-svideo"
size: 640 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #18: "palm-svideo"
size: 640 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #19: "paln-svideo"
size: 768 x 576
rate: 0.020000
encoding ID #20: "ntscjp-svideo"
size: 640 x 480
rate: 0.016683
Adaptor #1: "Savage Streams Engine"
number of ports: 1
port base: 56
operations supported: PutImage
supported visuals:
depth 24, visualID 0x23
depth 24, visualID 0x24
number of attributes: 5
"XV_COLORKEY" (range 0 to 16777215)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 66046)
"XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range -128 to 127)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_CONTRAST" (range 0 to 255)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 128)
"XV_SATURATION" (range 0 to 255)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 128)
"XV_HUE" (range -180 to 180)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
maximum XvImage size: 1024 x 1024
Number of image formats: 6
id: 0x32595559 (YUY2)
guid: 59555932-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: YUV (packed)
id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 12
number of planes: 3
type: YUV (planar)
id: 0x30323449 (I420)
guid: 49343230-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 12
number of planes: 3
type: YUV (planar)
id: 0x36315652 (RV16)
guid: 52563135-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: RGB (packed)
depth: 0
red, green, blue masks: 0x1f, 0x3e0, 0x7c00
id: 0x35315652 (RV15)
guid: 52563136-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: RGB (packed)
depth: 0
red, green, blue masks: 0x1f, 0x7e0, 0xf800
id: 0x31313259 (Y211)
guid: 59323131-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 6
number of planes: 3
type: YUV (packed)

> Other tests to run to deduce what's going on?

Well, you could run it in gdb and hit ctl-c after it hangs trying to setup the
video output, see where it is and all that.

My naive attempt to run mythtv under gdb (which I might have used once
before a few years ago) resulted in a hard system lockup before getting
very far, so I'm sorry to say that info isn't going to be readily
available. But when run normally, mythtv doesn't appear to hang -- since
the ringbuf.nuv file grows at what seems to be a reasonable rate, and the
process consumes only 30-40% of available CPU. So it looks like it's
running fine, except for the lack of display.

Is there some other tool that understands the .nuv format that I can use to
check if the contents of ringbuf.nuv is valid?

Cheers,

- pz.

--
John Pezaris, Ph.D.
pz@hms.harvard.edu
Re: no picture, no sound ... ? [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 12 October 2002 09:45 am, Dr. J. S. Pezaris wrote:
> Well, you could run it in gdb and hit ctl-c after it hangs trying to
> setup the video output, see where it is and all that.
>
> My naive attempt to run mythtv under gdb (which I might have used once
> before a few years ago) resulted in a hard system lockup before getting
> very far, so I'm sorry to say that info isn't going to be readily
> available. But when run normally, mythtv doesn't appear to hang -- since
> the ringbuf.nuv file grows at what seems to be a reasonable rate, and the
> process consumes only 30-40% of available CPU. So it looks like it's
> running fine, except for the lack of display.

No, it's hanging. It should either be printing an error message saying why it
couldn't setup the Xv stuff, or saying what Xv port it was using after it
sucessfully set it up. It's not doing either, so it's hanging =)

You said xawtv only works when you use the -noxv switch? I assume it hangs as
well?

> Is there some other tool that understands the .nuv format that I can use to
> check if the contents of ringbuf.nuv is valid?

Nope, there's not. Well, if you record an entire program and then go to the
'Watch a Recording' screen in mythfrontend, it'll play a little preview video
of the file, without sound..

Isaac