xawtv works fine.
any help appreciated
running rh8.0
Re: mythtv binary error [ In reply to ]
On Friday 11 October 2002 05:49 pm, John Tapper wrote:
> i still get a lot of DateManip errors when running xmltv, but it seems
> to have populated my guide properly because mythepg is working fine.
>
> however, when i try to run mythtv i get the following output, and then
> nothing.
>

> Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
> VIDOCGMBUF:: Invalid argument
> VIDIOCSAUDIO: Invalid argument

Your capture card doesn't support the v4l interface mythtv requires.
Solutions:

- add support for the v4l read interface to grabbing.
- get a new capture card.

Isaac
Re: mythtv binary error [ In reply to ]
I am using a GeForce 2 MX 200 or 400 (32 MB with TV out) card and a
Hauppage WinTV capture card. I thought any card that worked with xawtv
would work with mythtv. Is this not the case?

Re: mythtv binary error [ In reply to ]
Did you run the setup program in MC/setup ?

Re: mythtv binary error [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 12 October 2002 12:15 am, John Tapper wrote:
> I am using a GeForce 2 MX 200 or 400 (32 MB with TV out) card and a
> Hauppage WinTV capture card. I thought any card that worked with xawtv
> would work with mythtv. Is this not the case?

What version of the bttv driver are you using?

Isaac
Re: mythtv binary error [ In reply to ]
I'm not sure how to find this out.
Please inform.

Re: mythtv binary error [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 07:21, John Tapper wrote:
> I'm not sure how to find this out.
> Please inform.
>
> On Saturday 12 October 2002 12:15 am, John Tapper wrote:
> > I am using a GeForce 2 MX 200 or 400 (32 MB with TV out) card and a
> > Hauppage WinTV capture card. I thought any card that worked with xawtv
> > would work with mythtv. Is this not the case?

Just FYI, you just described my system :-) so yes this should all work
together. It is not the case (yet?) that any card that works with xawtv
will work for mythtv; the important part is xv support. However, the
GeForce 2 MX has this so you should be set (I'm assuming you downloaded
the linux drivers for the GeForce card from NVidia's site).

If you're having problems with your WinTV card, I'd definitely recommend
upgradding your bttv driver to 0.8.something and rebuilding your kernel
from source. I'm running debian unstable and to do this I needed to go
get the "real" linux kernel source from kernel.org rather than using the
kernel-source-whatever.deb file available via apt-get.

Hope somet of this helps...

- Dave
RE: mythtv binary error [ In reply to ]
How do I check the version of the bttv driver? And do I need to recompile my
kernel to upgrade the bttv driver?

here is the output about bttv from lsmod.

bttv 71424 0 (autoclean)
videodev 8288 3 (autoclean) [bttv]
i2c-algo-bit 8840 1 (autoclean) [bttv]
i2c-core 19236 0 (autoclean) [tuner tvaudio bttv i2c-algo-

RE: mythtv binary error [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 15:45, John Tapper wrote:
> How do I check the version of the bttv driver? And do I need to recompile my
> kernel to upgrade the bttv driver?

dmesg | grep bttv | grep version

And yes, you most likely will need to recompile your kernel.

// brian
Re: mythtv binary error [ In reply to ]
On 15 Oct 2002, Dave Caplinger wrote:

> Just FYI, you just described my system :-) so yes this should all work
> together. It is not the case (yet?) that any card that works with xawtv
> will work for mythtv; the important part is xv support. However, the
> GeForce 2 MX has this so you should be set (I'm assuming you downloaded
> the linux drivers for the GeForce card from NVidia's site).

I don't think you need the binary drivers from nvidia to get Xv support -
it's in the stock XFree86 'nvidia' driver.

Leastways, Myth works on my box, and I haven't installed any binary
drivers :-)

If you want OpenGL support for other things though, you need them.

- Justin

--
justin@hawkins.id.au | "Don't sweat it --
http://hawkins.id.au | it's only 1's and 0's"
RE: mythtv binary error [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 08:45, John Tapper wrote:
> How do I check the version of the bttv driver? And do I need to recompile my
> kernel to upgrade the bttv driver?
>
> here is the output about bttv from lsmod.
>
> bttv 71424 0 (autoclean)
> videodev 8288 3 (autoclean) [bttv]
> i2c-algo-bit 8840 1 (autoclean) [bttv]
> i2c-core 19236 0 (autoclean) [tuner tvaudio bttv i2c-algo-

The best way I can think of is to rmmod bttv and videodev, then start up
a new shell and tail -f /var/log/messages. Then, in the first shell
window do a 'modprobe bttv' and as the bttv driver loads it will output
it's version and plenty of other information into the /var/log/messages
file (which you'll be able to see in the second window).

If you want to upgrade it, yes you'll need to recompile your kernel
(because the v4l2 API that bttv 0.8.x uses is a patch against the kernel
source). Here's a rough outline of how I built mine:

* Download kernel source for linux-2.4.19 from http://www.kernel.org/
* Download newest bttv 0.8.46 from http://bytesec.org/bttv/
* Download the v4l2-api-2.4.19.diff patch from bytesex.org as well
* Unpack the linux source into /usr/src
* Make the symlink so /usr/src/linux points to /usr/src/linux-2.4.19
* cd /usr/src (if you're not there already)
* patch -p1 < v4l-api-2.4.19.diff
* cd linux
* make menuconfig (or 'make xconfig' if you prefer)
* make dep
* make
* make modules
* make bzImage
* make install
* make modules_install

(basically everything up to this point except for the patch is standard
"how to build your own kernel" stuff, and is well-documented on the web,
etc.)

* reboot
* cd (whatever)/bttv-0.8.46
* make
* make install
* modprobe bttv (watch /var/log/messages for errors etc.)
* assuming that worked, try 'xawtv'

This should't be taken as a complete list; you'll want to make sure you
keep a copy of your old kernel and configure lilo (or whatever boot
loader you use) so you can boot that old kernel in case the new one you
made doesn't work right -- this is especially important if this is your
first time building a new kernel; you might forget some critical things
during your 'make menuconfig' step. Also, there might be some editing
to do on your /etc/modules.conf file (and if you're running debian you
don't edit this file directly) before you can do the final 'modprobe
bttv' part.

Good luck!

- Dave