Mailing List Archive

newbie, haven't even compiled yet...
Greetings,

I'm working on a PVR type system for my home theater.
I'll be working on this after I get back from a trip
next week, but I thought I'd throw out this question
first...

My theater uses a front projector with a VGA input.
As such I have the output of my computer's video card
hooked up to the projector for an approx 9 foot wide
computer screen. :) (You can see pictures at
http://www.geekess.org/theater/ )

Will Mythtv output via regular VGA? Does it run over
X? Can it be completley fullscreened (no title bar,
menu bar, etc.)

Also, consider a feature request... I'll be using
this product with a DirectTV satelite reciever. If
Myth could TRANSMIT IR codes via a serial port
connected IR flasher to change channels for recording
and watching that would be incredible. So far I have
only found one product that does that (closed source
for windows, $$$, and only works with UK tv listings:(

Great job so far, though... looking forward to testing.

http://health.yahoo.com
Re: newbie, haven't even compiled yet... [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 23 July 2002 01:02 pm, Andrew C. Ohnstad wrote:
> My theater uses a front projector with a VGA input.
> As such I have the output of my computer's video card
> hooked up to the projector for an approx 9 foot wide
> computer screen. :) (You can see pictures at
> http://www.geekess.org/theater/ )

Heh, cool. I've been wanting a projector, but I need to finish the basement,
first.

> Will Mythtv output via regular VGA? Does it run over
> X? Can it be completley fullscreened (no title bar,
> menu bar, etc.)

Yup to all 3 questions. I spend most of the time testing things
on a normal monitor, as it's easier to edit text than on a TV.. The
current release is limited to 800x600, but there's currently code in
CVS to handle other screen sizes.. I just have it disabled, because
it causes some problems in the program guide that I haven't
bothered to fix yet.

> Also, consider a feature request... I'll be using
> this product with a DirectTV satelite reciever. If
> Myth could TRANSMIT IR codes via a serial port
> connected IR flasher to change channels for recording
> and watching that would be incredible. So far I have
> only found one product that does that (closed source
> for windows, $$$, and only works with UK tv listings:(

A lot of the support for this is done already, it just needs
someone to finish it off. If you're interested in doing that,
I can let you know what all needs to be done. Nothing
very difficult, really.

Isaac
Re: newbie, haven't even compiled yet... [ In reply to ]
Issac, thanks for the quick reply... inline...
--- Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 July 2002 01:02 pm, Andrew C. Ohnstad
> wrote:
> > My theater uses a front projector with a VGA
> input.
> > As such I have the output of my computer's video
> card
> > hooked up to the projector for an approx 9 foot
> wide
> > computer screen. :) (You can see pictures at
> > http://www.geekess.org/theater/ )
>
> Heh, cool. I've been wanting a projector, but I
> need to finish the basement,
> first.

Very cool. Using a wireless keyboard to compose this
right now... need to update the shots on the website.
Drywall's up and it's pretty usable.

> > Will Mythtv output via regular VGA? Does it run
> over
> > X? Can it be completley fullscreened (no title
> bar,
> > menu bar, etc.)
>
> Yup to all 3 questions. I spend most of the time
> testing things

Woot!

> > Also, consider a feature request... I'll be using
> > this product with a DirectTV satelite reciever.
> If
> > Myth could TRANSMIT IR codes via a serial port
> > connected IR flasher to change channels for
> recording
> > and watching that would be incredible. So far I
> have
> > only found one product that does that (closed
> source
> > for windows, $$$, and only works with UK tv
> listings:(
>
> A lot of the support for this is done already, it
> just needs
> someone to finish it off. If you're interested in
> doing that,
> I can let you know what all needs to be done.
> Nothing
> very difficult, really.

I'd love to help out if I had a smidge of coding
skills, but I don't. :( I wasn't expecting any real
quick action... more just wanted to let you know that
someone out there is looking with a keen eye on your
software. :)

I'll let you all know in the next few weeks how it
works out for me. This will be my first real attempt
at getting my ATI TV Tuner card to work under Linux
(don't even know if it will yet.)

=-=Andrew