--
William Walsh <william@wxw.org>
Jabber: william@wxw.org
RE: MythTV with Radeon 8500DV? [ In reply to ]
> Has anyone tried to get MythTV to work with the Radeon 8500DV?
> I'm prepared to go with a Hauppauge WinTV PCI card, and just
> use the integrated audio, if the 8500DV wouldn't work in this
> regard.....

An alternative is to use a USB sound card.
The sound blaster extigy comes to mind.
RE: MythTV with Radeon 8500DV? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 16:17, Johan Kohler wrote:
> > Has anyone tried to get MythTV to work with the Radeon 8500DV?
> > I'm prepared to go with a Hauppauge WinTV PCI card, and just
> > use the integrated audio, if the 8500DV wouldn't work in this
> > regard.....
>
> An alternative is to use a USB sound card.
> The sound blaster extigy comes to mind.

Yeah, I had thought about that before, but....

Support for the extigy device is so minimal in linux right now, that I'd
get no better sound from it than I would from the integrated audio
chipset really. Creative isn't supporting it with linux at all right
now. There is an unsupported driver providing very limited support for
it, and that's it. You can't even play 44.1Khz audio files to it.

RE: MythTV with Radeon 8500DV? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 19:28, William X Walsh wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 16:17, Johan Kohler wrote:
> > > Has anyone tried to get MythTV to work with the Radeon 8500DV?
> > > I'm prepared to go with a Hauppauge WinTV PCI card, and just
> > > use the integrated audio, if the 8500DV wouldn't work in this
> > > regard.....
> >
> > An alternative is to use a USB sound card.
> > The sound blaster extigy comes to mind.
>
> Yeah, I had thought about that before, but....
>
> Support for the extigy device is so minimal in linux right now, that I'd
> get no better sound from it than I would from the integrated audio
> chipset really. Creative isn't supporting it with linux at all right
> now. There is an unsupported driver providing very limited support for
> it, and that's it. You can't even play 44.1Khz audio files to it.

In 2.5 ALSA, I believe it's fully supported. Though, it *is* 2.5, just
FYI. --The GrandMaster
Re: MythTV with Radeon 8500DV? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 10 October 2002 07:07 pm, William X Walsh wrote:
> Has anyone tried to get MythTV to work with the Radeon 8500DV?
>
> The reason I ask is that I'm considering building a dedicated box for a
> PVR with the Shuttle SS51, which has 1 AGP slot and 1 PCI slot.
>
> Even though the SS51 has integrated audio using the Realtek ALC650, I've
> never liked the quality that much, and would prefer to have a Creative
> Audigy card in there, do that would leave me with just the AGP slot.
> Hence why I'd like to use the Radeon All-in-Wonder 8500DV as both the
> graphics adapter and tv tuner.
>
> I'm prepared to go with a Hauppauge WinTV PCI card, and just use the
> integrated audio, if the 8500DV wouldn't work in this regard.....

I'd say you're on something if you think any Creative made card has decent
sound-quality, but... =) Reports have it that the Radeon drivers
(hardware?) don't allow simultaneous recording and playback of video.

Isaac
Re: MythTV with Radeon 8500DV? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 11:14:53PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:

> I'd say you're on something if you think any Creative made card has decent
> sound-quality, but... =) Reports have it that the Radeon drivers
> (hardware?) don't allow simultaneous recording and playback of video.

My understanding and experience is this. With a Radeon card and the GATOS
drivers (I am using a Radeon all-in-wonder 7500), it is possible to:

1. Overlay video into a window or full-screen (Xv)

2. Capture video (v4l)

3. Scale prerecorded video in hardware (Xv)

With the following restrictions:

- In order to do #2, you must do #1 at the same time (though the window need
not be displayed on-screen). This is a hardware restriction; there is no
separate capture device. Video capture is done from video memory.

- You may not do #1 and #3 at the same time, and therefore not #2 and #3 at
the same time due to the previous restriction. This is also a hardware
restriction, but there may be a driver workaround in the future.

So, if you have the bogomips to scale playback in software, this would work
fine (assuming MythTV will do the scaling), as long as you leave xawtv or
avview running to provide the input. I do not know about controlling the
tuner from MythTV; I have never used the tuner except with xawtv and avview.
Of course, this would not take advantage of one of the nice features of the
card, which is the ability to display live TV input directly to a window
without using any significant CPU time or I/O bandwidth.

In my setup, I have a Hauppauge card in addition to the Radeon, and would
eventually like to be able to use both in MythTV. I haven't played with it
much, though, and since it would interfere with playback, I will probably
wait until that restriction is lifted.

--
- mdz