Mailing List Archive

I'm getting excited...
Howdy,

First, hats off to Issac and others working on this project. This sounds
like
exactly what I've been looking for.

I am in the middle of building a quiet PC in a fancy case with VFD display
for
specific use as a PVR and media hub. It has to be easy so my wife will use
it.
I'm still waiting for my PSU and CPU fan to arrive. I don't have a spare
machine, otherwise I would already be trying this baby!

I've used Linux for a variety of work-related projects, but have not got
into
it with the 'depth' necessary to be really comfortable. Now I'm hoping to.

Few of questions:
- Is the DVI output on various GF4-based cards fully supported in Lunix?
Maybe
this is a dumb question and it 'always' works... I just don't have any
experience. Specifically I am planning a new TV with a DVI input that
this
box will be connected to.

- Anyone using RAID 0? Is it well supported? I was planning on the Asus
A7V333
with raid if anyone has thoughts on it.

- Here's a wild one... Anyone with experience with M-audio sound cards,
like
the Delta Audiophile 2496? These are high-end sound cards that are used
often
in HTPC in the Windows world.

I'm also a software engineer, and will (hopefully) have time to contribute
this project. I was originally thinking of VFD (ie LCD) support but it
looks
like that is covered. The other thing I could do, although maybe of limited
interest to most, is Sony S-link support. I have a slinke box
(http://www.nirvis.com/) that basically converts RS-232 to S-link protocol.
The slinke box was mainly for people with big CD-carrasals, but works with
other Sony equipment too.

Alexander (Sandy) McKinney

P.S. For those interested in AV stuff, I would highly suggest
www.avsforum.com.
There is a HTPC forum with Linux supporters there, but the majority or
people are Windoze-centric.
Re: I'm getting excited... [ In reply to ]

> First, hats off to Issac and others working on this project. This
> sounds like exactly what I've been looking for.

It certainly is nifty ;)

> I am in the middle of building a quiet PC in a fancy case with VFD
> display for specific use as a PVR and media hub. It has to be easy
> so my wife will use it.

My wife has no trouble with MythTV. We'll test out my mother in a few
weeks when she's up here.

> Is the DVI output on various GF4-based cards fully supported in
> Lunix? Maybe this is a dumb question and it 'always' works... I
> just don't have any experience. Specifically I am planning a new TV
> with a DVI input that this box will be connected to.

I think so(tm), but don't trust me. Go look at the detailed README
that comes with NVidia's driver package.

Note that I'm not overly happy with NV's drivers. They hang the
machine for seconds at startup, and the TV generator cannot be
adjusted for overscan. NVidia is unresponsive, and the drivers are
nonfree obfuscated binaries, so I can't fix the damned thing myself.

I'd love to find a good free software alternative to my gf4mx440+tv.
All I need is good Xv YUV conversion/scaling and good quality TV-out,
ideally on svideo. This didn't seem like it should be hard, but I'm
several cards in and still haven't found it.

> Here's a wild one... Anyone with experience with M-audio sound
> cards, like the Delta Audiophile 2496? These are high-end sound
> cards that are used often in HTPC in the Windows world.

Maybe for DVDs, but I can't see it for ordinary TV.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
Linux Printing Website and HOWTO: http://www.linuxprinting.org/