overlay. Recording the text to DB would be spiffy too, and I have an idea
of how to do that :)

Johann
Re: Closed Captioning? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 12:10:33AM -0500, Johann Klemmack wrote:
> Does MythTV (or V4L for that matter) support closed captioning? The bytesex
> homepage doesn't list it, and the best hit I got off google was
> http://toonarchive.com/v4l-cc/. Perhaps onto the todo list? I'd be willing
> to help out on this, but I wouldn't know how to get a scrolling textbox
> overlay. Recording the text to DB would be spiffy too, and I have an idea
> of how to do that :)

v4l supports VBI (closed captioning) via the /dev/vbi* devices, this is
in the v4l specs, and the bttv driver supports this. It should be trivial
to use any of the various VBI decoding utilities then display it in a
scrolling OSD (preferably transparent =)

Options like only CC when muted (aka, QuickCap) would be nifty as well..

--
Matthew S. Hallacy FUBAR, LART, BOFH Certified
http://www.poptix.net GPG public key 0x01938203
RE: Closed Captioning? [ In reply to ]
Re: Closed Captioning? [ In reply to ]
> Van: Matthew S. Hallacy <poptix@techmonkeys.org>
>
> Options like only CC when muted (aka, QuickCap) would be nifty as well..

I think you meant to say "automaticaly CC when muted". I guess you would
like to watch a french crimi with english subtitles, without muting the
sound, don't you think? :-)

Henk Poley <><
Re: Closed Captioning? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:29:45PM +0100, Henk Poley wrote:
> > Van: Matthew S. Hallacy <poptix@techmonkeys.org>
> >
> > Options like only CC when muted (aka, QuickCap) would be nifty as well..
>
> I think you meant to say "automaticaly CC when muted". I guess you would
> like to watch a french crimi with english subtitles, without muting the
> sound, don't you think? :-)

Heh =)

Yes, I meant an option such as 'Only display closed captions when audio
is muted'. My television has this feature, it's called 'QuickCap', excellent
for watching a movie while acting like I'm listening to the person on the
phone.

Re: Closed Captioning? [ In reply to ]
At 15-1-03 15:28, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:29:45PM +0100, Henk Poley wrote:
> > > Van: Matthew S. Hallacy <poptix@techmonkeys.org>
> > >
> > > Options like only CC when muted (aka, QuickCap) would be nifty as well..
> >
> > I think you meant to say "automaticaly CC when muted". I guess you would
> > like to watch a french crimi with english subtitles, without muting the
> > sound, don't you think? :-)
>
>Heh =)
>
>Yes, I meant an option such as 'Only display closed captions when audio
>is muted'. My television has this feature, it's called 'QuickCap', excellent
>for watching a movie while acting like I'm listening to the person on the
>phone.

Small hickup for a lot of setups: MythTV is connected like a VCR, that is
all video-settings and audio-settings are handled by the TV. But could be
nice feature for people watching on the computerscreens or using their TVs
as big "monitors".

I'll put it on my "probably todo"-list for as soon as I have the CC support in.

Erik