major props to those that do the real work around here.

Thx,
Matt
Re: Statically compiled? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 30 September 2002 09:52 pm, Matthew wrote:
> Would it be possible to statically compile the MythTV/Music, like Freevo is
> doing? Would this not help get new users up and running more quickly, by
> reducing dependency on specific library versions and distributions
> (freetype and vorbis)?
>
> P.S. If you are wondering why I don't try this myself, it's that I have not
> been able to completely work out the dependency issues to a fully working
> system. The closest I got was a working MythTV that would not change
> channels (EPG working) and a non-working MythMusic. I have tried RedHat
> 7.2 and 7.3 as well as a brief stint with Debian 3.0.
>
> Please don't take this as an attack on the work of Isaac and others. I
> give major props to those that do the real work around here.

Hrm. See, even if I distribute binaries, there's still the database setup and
all that to do.. I don't think it'll gain all that much, really.. But, if
someone wants to do the work, and probably provide hosting (a static,
stripped, bz2-ed mythmusic binary is 2.6 MB on my box, a similarly
compiled/compressed mythfrontend is 2.7 MB), I'd at least link to it.

Isaac
Re: Statically compiled? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 02 October 2002 03:31 am, Isaac Richards wrote:
> Hrm. See, even if I distribute binaries, there's still the database setup
> and all that to do.. I don't think it'll gain all that much, really..
> But, if someone wants to do the work, and probably provide hosting (a
> static, stripped, bz2-ed mythmusic binary is 2.6 MB on my box, a similarly
> compiled/compressed mythfrontend is 2.7 MB), I'd at least link to it.

Oh, and I forgot -- something things _can't_ be compiled statically, like the
Qt database plugins (mythtv uses the mysql one). So, really, static bins
won't work. I'd say debian packages are more realistic right now than
anything else.. No-one's offered to make packages for any other distro, at
least.

Isaac
RE: Statically compiled? [ In reply to ]
It has been some 6 years since I did any heavy development, but I may be
able to help somehow. Perhaps a build or a configure script would be
helpfull? This may be more than I can accomplish alone, but want to
contribute as much I can. Below are some thoughts and ideas that I was
thinking about. Commments would be appreciated.

Configure script
1) Verify that all (the right versions of) source libraries and packages are
avaliable. Maybe provide some verbage to assist in gettting things set up
properly. Example: "QT libraries are missing. QT seems to be installed,
but qt-devel package may be required..." "flac %ver% is currently installed
but MythTV requires flac version 1.0.4"

2) Get information required for basic working config in settings.txt.
(PAL/NTSC, Music and Video Paths, System speed to set capture format and
size...) Maybe a seperate script that can be called post install to change
Myth config?

3) Verify MySQL is installed and running. Setup Myth database.

4) Verify freetype and perhaps apply a diff to source for redhat/mandrake
users.

5) Verify V4L is installed.

6) Check XMLTV is installed. See below.

XMLTV verify or make script
Verify or install all required Perl modules and make XMLTV. Maybe configure
XMLTV for locale etc ( tv_grab_xx --configure )? This could be given to the
XMLTV project. -> See build script for http://gjukebox.sourceforge.net
project that does something very similar.

Myth make script
1) Check that configure script has been run.

2) Build Myth.

2) Run filldata script. Maybe cron it if possible?

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Statically compiled? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 02 October 2002 03:55 pm, Matthew wrote:
> It has been some 6 years since I did any heavy development, but I may be
> able to help somehow. Perhaps a build or a configure script would be
> helpfull? This may be more than I can accomplish alone, but want to
> contribute as much I can. Below are some thoughts and ideas that I was
> thinking about. Commments would be appreciated.
>
> Configure script
> 1) Verify that all (the right versions of) source libraries and packages
> are avaliable. Maybe provide some verbage to assist in gettting things set
> up properly. Example: "QT libraries are missing. QT seems to be
> installed, but qt-devel package may be required..." "flac %ver% is
> currently installed but MythTV requires flac version 1.0.4"

Yup. a configure script would be nice, but I don't really want to write it,
nor do I want anything that uses autoconf/automake.

> 2) Get information required for basic working config in settings.txt.
> (PAL/NTSC, Music and Video Paths, System speed to set capture format and
> size...) Maybe a seperate script that can be called post install to change
> Myth config?

This could be added to the setup program that it's CVS currently..

> 3) Verify MySQL is installed and running. Setup Myth database.
>
> 4) Verify freetype and perhaps apply a diff to source for redhat/mandrake
> users.

Hopefully someone's going to contribute a patch to bring the freetype stuff in
libNuppelVideo up to freetype2 soon =)

> 5) Verify V4L is installed.
>
> 6) Check XMLTV is installed. See below.

> XMLTV verify or make script
> Verify or install all required Perl modules and make XMLTV. Maybe
> configure XMLTV for locale etc ( tv_grab_xx --configure )? This could be
> given to the XMLTV project. -> See build script for
> http://gjukebox.sourceforge.net project that does something very similar.
>

> Myth make script
> 1) Check that configure script has been run.
>
> 2) Build Myth.
>
> 2) Run filldata script. Maybe cron it if possible?

Ok. My view on the build process -- it's currently good enough for me. If
someone wants to improve things, I'll accept a patch to do so ('slong as it
doesn't use automake/autoconf/etc).

I _will_ be improving the setup program that's currently in CVS, though.

Isaac