Mailing List Archive

likin it so far
just found out about myth tv today, and had a bear of a time installing
it. most of the problems were bad configs on my end though :) I do have
one suggestion for the docs (or a compile time config options or
something). My mysql server is on a different box. It took me a few
hours to figure out that the mysql host was hardcoded in some of the .cpp
files :)

also, just an fyi, mythtv wont compile with qt3-cvs. spent a bit of time
on that one also. also, not sure where exaclty the problem is, but xmltv
doesnt work with perl 5.8.0.

I know, I know, if I use the latest and greatest, dont expect everything
to work. The above are not meant to be anything negative about mythtv,
just fyi's for a faq or something.

now on to the good stuff. Im really liking it so far. partly because its
the only pvr i can actually get to work, but mostly because its pretty
dang slick.

One question: say i have a program scheduled to record from 8pm to 9pm.
what time will mythtv stop the recording process? the reason I ask is
because its now 5 min. passed when the show is over and its still going.

thanks for the great work so far,

David

--
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
--Darth Vader
Re: likin it so far [ In reply to ]
On Friday 19 July 2002 10:13 pm, daz@undertaker.homeip.net wrote:
> just found out about myth tv today, and had a bear of a time installing
> it. most of the problems were bad configs on my end though :) I do have
> one suggestion for the docs (or a compile time config options or
> something). My mysql server is on a different box. It took me a few
> hours to figure out that the mysql host was hardcoded in some of the .cpp
> files :)

Heh, sorry 'bout that.. Hadn't even considered someone running it on another
box. =) I'll put fixing that on my todo list.. Need a better config system,
too.

> also, just an fyi, mythtv wont compile with qt3-cvs. spent a bit of time
> on that one also. also, not sure where exaclty the problem is, but xmltv
> doesnt work with perl 5.8.0.

Great. Well, perl 5.8 should make debian eventually, and then I'll have to
deal with it and xmltv, and I had enough trouble getting it working as it
was.. What parts of my code didn't qt3-cvs like?

> I know, I know, if I use the latest and greatest, dont expect everything
> to work. The above are not meant to be anything negative about mythtv,
> just fyi's for a faq or something.
>
> now on to the good stuff. Im really liking it so far. partly because its
> the only pvr i can actually get to work, but mostly because its pretty
> dang slick.
>
> One question: say i have a program scheduled to record from 8pm to 9pm.
> what time will mythtv stop the recording process? the reason I ask is
> because its now 5 min. passed when the show is over and its still going.

It _should_ stop right at 9 pm. No 'Changing from RecordingOnly to None' or
similar in the console output? Hrm. I've had a problem or two with that
portion of the code before (it's translating a QDateTime object from the
scheduler in the Qt section, to a struct tm and then to a time_t). Probably
just be cleaner if I changed the whole thing to use the Qt stuff. Could you
let me know if it happens again? I might ask you to put in a debugging line
or two..

> thanks for the great work so far,

Thanks for the feedback =)

Isaac
Re: likin it so far [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 02:04:03 -0400, "Isaac Richards" <ijr@po.cwru.edu> wrote:

Hey...just do you know...there's a change in the air...

> Heh, sorry 'bout that.. Hadn't even considered someone running it on another
> box. =) I'll put fixing that on my todo list.. Need a better config system,
> too.

RPMs have always been a good way to _develop_ software, not just deploy it; it allows you, for example, to keep a "1.0.0" level of software and then apply fixes from people for various things, so that your process stays nice and clean. It's kinda like not using a GOTO in BASIC; it's a subtle change, but an important one.

But that much is old news; the real change is in the arrival of Apt as a means to actually deploy it, and institutions to help with it. This is the same apt from Debian fame (and it makes me realize why there are so many Debian converts!) but for Redhat/Mandrake people, which is (I think) a larger audience.

See http://apt.freshrpms.net. This is a site that not only mirrors a lot of other cool RPMs, but Mattias at that site also tends to maintain the tarball->RPM conversion. He's particularly interested in video applications like Ogle, Xine, and others.

Won'tcha take a look at the site? Not only can he 'produce' your software, he can, and does, help authors learn how to develop software with RPM in plain English. (Which is kinda cool, since he lives in Barcelona!)

Give it a try; Apt is some VERY good software, and this group of people are very helpful at getting software out the door. Enjoy!

Brian Fahrländer Linux Zealot, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN My Voyage: http://www.CounterMoon.com
ICQ 5119262
I don't want to hear news from Isreal until the news contains the words
"Bullet", "Brain", and "Arafat".
Re: likin it so far [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 12:10:57 -0400, Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu> wrote:

> Please don't spam my list again, ok?

Ya know, I hear that from time to time. I could never understand why anyone would rather develop and deploy the hard way- the same unchanged way we've done it for 30 years. Personally, I got pretty tired of the old way about 15 years ago.

In what way is it more fun to open 5,000 tarballs and spend the time to get intimate knowledge with every library ever written? Don't you guys have day jobs, too?