but it didn't help. xawtv works fine.

Thanks,
IvanK.
Re: changing input on tv-card? [ In reply to ]
On 07 Sep 2002, IvanK. wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> how can I tell mythtv to use S-Video instead
> of Television? I saw something in
> libmythtv/channel.cpp that said Television and
> changed that to S-Video, but it didn't help.
> xawtv works fine.

From the README:

'c' will change inputs on the TV tuner card.

Isaac
Re: changing input on tv-card? [ In reply to ]
c works to change input. However, when I schedule a recording, and the
recording commenses, I think it switches back to input from Television. A
better way is to have a setting in the settings file where you specify your
input and all of myth* programs use that variable. Right now I guess
Television is hardcoded or is the default.

Also, slightly on a different topic -- sound. I have a C-Media CMI8378
onboard 6channel sound chip which supports 48khz. When watching live TV I
get an echo of the sound. In the faq you recommend muting line-in and
setting it as the recording source. But as another user pointed out, that
effectively mutes all sound. You replied to that user to get a "better"
sound card. How much "better" does it have to be? What are you using?
SBLive something?

Another problem is that my WinTV card outputs only mono audio. That's why I
connected the left+right channels from my cable box to the line-in of the
soundcard, not the TV card and the S-Video out of the cable box to the
S-Video in of the TV card. Even with this setup I hear the echo. Should I
mute the TV card? This is counterlogic because S-Video (afaik) carries only
video signal. How does the TV card then get any sound input to echo? Is it
possible the software introduces it somehow because of the buffering?

As you can tell I'm completely ignorant of how mythtv works, so I appologize
if I don't make any sense.

And last but absolutely not least, a word of praise for the amazingly cool
project -- keep up the great work! Mythtv is such a cool program, that I
fell instantly in love with it.

Oh, and really last, is there any way you can put on your site a picture we
can use as wallpaper? Preferably it would be the background of the default
theme, with the words MythTV, but without any of the buttons. The reason for
this strange request is that when you "press" a button, there's a brief
moment when the programs switch from mythfrontend to mythtv in which you see
your desktop. If you set your wallpaper to the same background as
mythfrontend, then you won't notice that switch.

Thanks,
IvanK.

Re: changing input on tv-card? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 09 September 2002 06:13 pm, IvanK. wrote:
> c works to change input. However, when I schedule a recording, and the
> recording commenses, I think it switches back to input from Television. A
> better way is to have a setting in the settings file where you specify your
> input and all of myth* programs use that variable. Right now I guess
> Television is hardcoded or is the default.

Neither. There isn't support for recording or changing channels on external
tuners.

> Also, slightly on a different topic -- sound. I have a C-Media CMI8378
> onboard 6channel sound chip which supports 48khz. When watching live TV I
> get an echo of the sound. In the faq you recommend muting line-in and
> setting it as the recording source. But as another user pointed out, that
> effectively mutes all sound. You replied to that user to get a "better"
> sound card. How much "better" does it have to be? What are you using?
> SBLive something?

"better" meaning "any soundcard that doesn't automatically play what it gets
on the line-in". I'm using the on-board sound on my motherboard, the NVidia
MCP or whatever it's called. I also said 'try alsa' since it may work as
well.

> Another problem is that my WinTV card outputs only mono audio. That's why
> I connected the left+right channels from my cable box to the line-in of the
> soundcard, not the TV card and the S-Video out of the cable box to the
> S-Video in of the TV card. Even with this setup I hear the echo. Should I
> mute the TV card? This is counterlogic because S-Video (afaik) carries
> only video signal. How does the TV card then get any sound input to echo?
> Is it possible the software introduces it somehow because of the buffering?

No, it's not possible that the echo is in mythtv.

> As you can tell I'm completely ignorant of how mythtv works, so I
> appologize if I don't make any sense.
>
> And last but absolutely not least, a word of praise for the amazingly cool
> project -- keep up the great work! Mythtv is such a cool program, that I
> fell instantly in love with it.
>
> Oh, and really last, is there any way you can put on your site a picture we
> can use as wallpaper? Preferably it would be the background of the default
> theme, with the words MythTV, but without any of the buttons. The reason
> for this strange request is that when you "press" a button, there's a brief
> moment when the programs switch from mythfrontend to mythtv in which you
> see your desktop. If you set your wallpaper to the same background as
> mythfrontend, then you won't notice that switch.

The background images are part of the theme, if you wanted to extract that and
make a background. The redraw time is entirely in mythfrontend, the only
time you're changing programs is from mythfrontend->mythmusic.

Isaac