So i was flipping through channels last night and suddenly the mythtv seg faulted....hmmmm, maybe there was no tv guide data for that channel, checked mysql, nope there was data. Restarted mythfrontend...flipped to the channel that I tried to go to before the seg fault. It came up fine (it was channel 51 Comedy Central). Myth has done this on other channels as well, but it always restarts and show data for the channel it seg faulted on. I ran and reran filldata anyway. Any ideas?

thanks
Chris
Re: seg faults when changing channel...I checked that the dbase contains data [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 05 September 2002 07:25 pm, Chris Kleeschulte wrote:
> So i was flipping through channels last night and suddenly the mythtv seg
> faulted....hmmmm, maybe there was no tv guide data for that channel,
> checked mysql, nope there was data. Restarted mythfrontend...flipped to the
> channel that I tried to go to before the seg fault. It came up fine (it was
> channel 51 Comedy Central). Myth has done this on other channels as well,
> but it always restarts and show data for the channel it seg faulted on. I
> ran and reran filldata anyway. Any ideas?

Recompile for debugging, run in gdb reproduce the crash, send me the bactrace.

Isaac
Re: seg faults when changing channel...I checked that the dbase contains data [ In reply to ]
I am sure how to recompile for debugging. How is this done?

Is this having to do with 'gprof'?

Re: seg faults when changing channel...I checked that the dbase contains data [ In reply to ]
I am trying to learn about CRT's and digital video and such. I wondered about why my mythtv video seems pixeled and somewhat blocky up close. The picture is far superior to the regular analog picture from the analog cable, but I was wondering why the picture would become pixelated? I compared myth to a my direct tv receiver's output. The direct tv is also digital video (mpeg2). The direct tv seemed less blocky and pixelated and I wondered what the difference was. Don't get me wrong, the picture is fine, I am just wondering about this for curiosity's sake.

My nvidia geforce4 mx 440 says it has full scene anti-aliasing, but this applies to the opengl function of the gpu. Am I missing something here? Would anti-aliasing help in this situation to smooth the edges especially concerning fonts and lettering?

I am running the resolution of the X server @ 800x600 and the tv picture is 640x480, does this make a huge difference? Should I attempt to match the X resolution to the tv output resolution?

thanks,
Chris
Re: seg faults when changing channel...I checked that the dbase contains data [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 05 September 2002 08:51 pm, Chris Kleeschulte wrote:
> I am sure how to recompile for debugging. How is this done?
>

> Is this having to do with 'gprof'?

Ah. For this, all you need to do is make distclean first, edit the
settings.pro file and uncomment the first line and comment out the second
line. Then just re-make everything.

You'll probably just want to run mythtv, not mythfrontend to try to reproduce
the bug. You may need to drop the resolution down a bit to make up for the
speed loss that having it compiled without optimizations and running inside
of gdb will get you..

So, just 'gdb /path/to/mythtv'. If you get it to crash, you'll probably have
to alt-tab to the term window you started it in, since the video output
window will still be shown full screen. Just type 'bt' at the prompt to have
it show you a backtrace of the crash. It'll tell you what sourcefile/line it
died on, basically.. Just send me the full output of the backtrace, and that
_should_ be enough for me to see what made it die.

gprof is another tool, not really related to gdb. It's used to profile a
program -- see how long routines take to run, how many times they're called,
that sort of thing.

Isaac