-o mythtv, seemingly QT related. Anyone interested? Or perhaps it just
silly to try ... I'm not sure.

cheers, Cal
Re: DirectFB-1.0.0-rc4, qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
More precisely ...
g++ -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/qt-embedded-3.3.8/lib -o mythtv main.o
-L/usr/local/qt-embedded-3.3.8/lib -L../../libs/libmyth -L../../libs/libmythtv
-L../../libs/libavutil -L../../libs/libavcodec -L../../libs/libavformat -L../../libs/libmythfreemheg
-L../../libs/libmythui -L../../libs/libmythupnp -L../../libs/libmythlivemedia -lmythtv-0.20
-lmythavformat-0.20 -lmythavutil-0.20 -lmythavcodec-0.20 -lmythfreemheg-0.20 -lmythupnp-0.20
-lmythlivemedia-0.20 -lmyth-0.20 -lmythui-0.20 -lfreetype -lmp3lame -lasound -lraw1394 -liec61883 -lavc1394
-lrom1394 -L/usr/lib -ldirectfb -lfusion -ldirect -lz -ldl -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lqte-mt -lpthread
main.o:(.rodata._ZTI6QGList[typeinfo for QGList]+0x8): undefined reference to `typeinfo for QPtrCollection'
../../libs/libmyth/libmyth-0.20.so: undefined reference to `typeinfo for QPushButton'
../../libs/libmyth/libmyth-0.20.so: undefined reference to `typeinfo for QLibrary'
../../libs/libmythtv/libmythtv-0.20.so: undefined reference to `typeinfo for QGArray'
[... and more.]

Deemed too much effort for too little gain, play abandoned.
Re: DirectFB-1.0.0-rc4, qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
> Building with these these two oddities gets as far as an error linking
> -o mythtv, seemingly QT related. Anyone interested? Or perhaps it just
> silly to try ... I'm not sure.

Looks like a problem with the qt part. Not a problem with DirectFB.
Have you made the required changes to the myth code for qt/embedded?
I have them lying around somewhere if you're interested.

This is the configuration that I'm working with right now. FYI, many
of the howtos out there on how to get MythTV working without X (and
via the framebuffer) are not correct. There is an implied connection
between DirectFB and Qt/Embedded, which is incorrect. Qt/Embedded
uses the kernel framebuffer interface, not DirectFB. However, I'm
working on a qt/embedded (3.3) driver that does use DirectFB. It can
be found at www.directfb.org in cvs under qte-directfb. The graphics
portion is the only part that works right now. But it does work. The
keyboard and mouse portions are coming up. There is also the issue of
MythTV itself using DirectFB which I haven't even tested. I'm using
it for my Matrox G400 card for which there is great support in
DirectFB.

Mike Gibson
megibson@gmail.com
Re: DirectFB-1.0.0-rc4, qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
Mike Gibson wrote:
>> Building with these these two oddities gets as far as an error linking
>> -o mythtv, seemingly QT related. Anyone interested? Or perhaps it just
>> silly to try ... I'm not sure.
>
> Looks like a problem with the qt part. Not a problem with DirectFB.
Agreed, DirectFB still looks promising. Also, I suspect the issue might not
lie with Qt, but with Mythtv. The only hint I found through googling was
an identical error sequence where the solution came from "Are you sure
you have a definition of each non-pure virtual function. In particular
check the first non-inline non-pure virtual function of <class name>.
The compiler uses that (if it exists) as a key. It will emit the vtable,
typeinfo and other class related objects in the object file containing
that key". My last serious encounter with C++ was about 1995, so I _am_
guessing. Tracking that sort of issue through Mythtv and/or Qt is beyond
me.

> Have you made the required changes to the myth code for qt/embedded?
> I have them lying around somewhere if you're interested.
I'm interested. I've seen some recommendations, but if your collection is
easy for you to gather, I would appreciate a look.

> This is the configuration that I'm working with right now. FYI, many
> of the howtos out there on how to get MythTV working without X (and
> via the framebuffer) are not correct. There is an implied connection
> between DirectFB and Qt/Embedded, which is incorrect.
Yep, I noticed.

> working on a qt/embedded (3.3) driver that does use DirectFB. It can
> be found at www.directfb.org in cvs under qte-directfb. The graphics
> portion is the only part that works right now. But it does work. The
> keyboard and mouse portions are coming up. There is also the issue of
> MythTV itself using DirectFB which I haven't even tested. I'm using
> it for my Matrox G400 card for which there is great support in
> DirectFB.
Cool, I'll take a look at qte-directfb. And on the matrox thing - mine's
an old G450 that I simply refuse to give up.

cheers, Cal
Re: DirectFB-1.0.0-rc4, qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
Hello Mike,

>Have you made the required changes to the myth code for qt/embedded?
>I have them lying around somewhere if you're interested.

Perhaps we should publish some basic infos on the wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythTV_in_Framebuffer
I have started this a while ago, but not get any further. Can you have a
look at this info and say what's totaly wrong ;)
Can you send me the patch you made?

Bye Peter

Re: DirectFB-1.0.0 [was -rc4], qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
Peter Schade wrote:
> [...]
>
> Perhaps we should publish some basic infos on the wiki:
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythTV_in_Framebuffer
> I have started this a while ago, but not get any further. Can you have a
> look at this info and say what's totaly wrong ;)
> Can you send me the patch you made?
>
> Bye Peter

Hi Peter, the guide was real helpful. I'm pretty much repeating your
efforts with DirectFB 1.0.0 & Qt-embedded 3.3.8. I'm not sure the
section "Start some mythTv hacking: In libs/libmythui/mythmainwindow.cp
change: [...]" fits with current mythtv code. There's no date on the
guide, so I wondered what mythtv version it applied to.

cheers, Cal
Re: DirectFB-1.0.0 [was -rc4], qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
> I'm not sure the
>section "Start some mythTv hacking: In libs/libmythui/mythmainwindow.cp
>change: [...]" fits with current mythtv code. There's no date on the
>guide, so I wondered what mythtv version it applied to.

I think that was because of the new opengl rendering method, that was
enabled by default. Today it should be enough to set the rendering to Qt,
but i have not tested this. If anybody get it working it would be nice if
somebody can update this section, so that others can try it out. On my Epia
it is a pain to compile qt/embedded.

Bye Peter

Re: DirectFB-1.0.0-rc4, qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
On 3/5/07, Peter Schade <l-case@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello Mike,
>
> >Have you made the required changes to the myth code for qt/embedded?
> >I have them lying around somewhere if you're interested.
>
> Perhaps we should publish some basic infos on the wiki:
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythTV_in_Framebuffer
> I have started this a while ago, but not get any further. Can you have a
> look at this info and say what's totaly wrong ;)
> Can you send me the patch you made?

That's something that I'd like to do once I get around to it. It's
just the implication in that guide that DirectFB is the API
Qt/Embedded uses. I'm not sure about other MythTV functionality,
which I've heard uses DirectFB (Like the video output) but the GUI
portion doesn't use DirectFB. There should probably be a warning
there that says that it isn't finished. Once I get my MythTV box up
and running the way I want it, I'll work on that guide.

One this (for everyone who tries to get this to work). I believe the
problem with previous attempts at using QtE would be with changes made
in 3.3.6. I believe I tried to build with 3.3.7 and had problems.
It's been awhile though.

I don't really know how to generate a proper patch, but here is the
diff of the two mythtv trees (0.19) that I'm using.

diff -r mythtv-0.19-original/libs/libmythtv/videoout_directfb.cpp
mythtv-0.19/libs/libmythtv/videoout_directfb.cpp
175d174
< {0xffff,0x00},
diff -r mythtv-0.19-original/libs/libmythui/libmythui.pro
mythtv-0.19/libs/libmythui/libmythui.pro
21c21
< HEADERS += mythpainter_ogl.h mythpainter_qt.h
---
> HEADERS += mythpainter_qt.h
27c27
< SOURCES += mythpainter_ogl.cpp mythpainter_qt.cpp
---
> SOURCES += mythpainter_qt.cpp
diff -r mythtv-0.19-original/libs/libmythui/mythmainwindow.cpp
mythtv-0.19/libs/libmythui/mythmainwindow.cpp
25c25
< #include "mythpainter_ogl.h"
---
> //#include "mythpainter_ogl.h"
187c187
< : QGLWidget(NULL, "mainWindow")
---
> : QWidget(NULL, "mainWindow")
193,194c193,194
< d->painter = new MythOpenGLPainter();
< //d->painter = new MythQtPainter();
---
> //d->painter = new MythOpenGLPainter();
> d->painter = new MythQtPainter();
247c247
< setAutoBufferSwap(false);
---
> // setAutoBufferSwap(false);
diff -r mythtv-0.19-original/libs/libmythui/mythmainwindow.h
mythtv-0.19/libs/libmythui/mythmainwindow.h
8c8
< #include <qgl.h>
---
> //#include <qgl.h>
38c38
< class MythMainWindow : public QGLWidget
---
Re: DirectFB-1.0.0-rc4, qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
Mike Gibson wrote:

> I don't really know how to generate a proper patch, but here is the
> diff of the two mythtv trees (0.19) that I'm using.
>
> diff -r mythtv-0.19-original/libs/libmythtv/videoout_directfb.cpp
> mythtv-0.19/libs/libmythtv/videoout_directfb.cpp

diff -ur mythtv-0.19-original mythtv-0.19

if you have added new files make the diff command

diff -urN

best done after a make distclean in both the trees.

Stuart
Re: DirectFB-1.0.0-rc4, qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
> diff -ur mythtv-0.19-original mythtv-0.19
>
> if you have added new files make the diff command
>
> diff -urN
>
> best done after a make distclean in both the trees.

Attached.
Re: DirectFB-1.0.0 [was -rc4], qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
Mike Gibson wrote:
>> diff -ur mythtv-0.19-original mythtv-0.19
>
> Attached.

Well done Mike, and thanks!

As far as I can tell, the only bit that applies to current svn is the
change to videoout_directfb.cpp, which also needs trivial changes to
the directfb version checking in order to compile against
DirectFB1.0.0, eg ...

-#if (DIRECTFB_MINOR_VERSION <= 9) && (DIRECTFB_MICRO_VERSION <= 22)
+#if (DIRECTFB_MAJOR_VERSION < 1) && (DIRECTFB_MINOR_VERSION <= 9) && (DIRECTFB_MICRO_VERSION <= 22)

I've had a play with qte-directfb, and it does look promising. Sadly,
that led right back to the same the link error against qt-embedded
that started this thread. There's nothing in your patch that might
account for that problem.

As 'proof of concept', I thought I'd see if I could get myth
running with a combination of qt-x11 and the fbdev xserver, plus
directfb. I'm not sure that's at all possible, but the first attempt
ends with -
(*) DirectFB/Core: Single Application Core. (2007-03-05 23:21)
(!) DirectFB/fbdev/vt: KD_GRAPHICS failed!
--> Operation not permitted
(!) DirectFB/Core: Could not initialize 'system' core!
--> Initialization error!
videoout_directfb.cpp <361>:
(#) DirectFBError [DirectFBCreate( &(data->dfb) )]: Initialization error!

I'll look into that one further as time permits. I'd like to float
a broader question - is directfb (and qt-embedded) relevant to the
present & future of mythtv, or is it just of interest to the matrox
hobbyists?

cheers, Cal
Re: DirectFB-1.0.0 [was -rc4], qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 06 March 2007 2:54:47 pm Alan Calvert wrote:
> Mike Gibson wrote:
> >> diff -ur mythtv-0.19-original mythtv-0.19
> >
> > Attached.
>
> Well done Mike, and thanks!
>
> As far as I can tell, the only bit that applies to current svn is the
> change to videoout_directfb.cpp, which also needs trivial changes to
> the directfb version checking in order to compile against
> DirectFB1.0.0, eg ...
>
> -#if (DIRECTFB_MINOR_VERSION <= 9) && (DIRECTFB_MICRO_VERSION <= 22)
> +#if (DIRECTFB_MAJOR_VERSION < 1) && (DIRECTFB_MINOR_VERSION <= 9) &&
> (DIRECTFB_MICRO_VERSION <= 22)
>
> I've had a play with qte-directfb, and it does look promising. Sadly,
> that led right back to the same the link error against qt-embedded
> that started this thread. There's nothing in your patch that might
> account for that problem.

Make sure there's no -fno-rtti in the compile line for myth/qt.

Isaac
Re: DirectFB-1.0.0 [was -rc4], qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 06:54 +1100, Alan Calvert wrote:
> Mike Gibson wrote:
> >> diff -ur mythtv-0.19-original mythtv-0.19
> >
> > Attached.
>
> Well done Mike, and thanks!
>
> As far as I can tell, the only bit that applies to current svn is the
> change to videoout_directfb.cpp, which also needs trivial changes to
> the directfb version checking in order to compile against
> DirectFB1.0.0, eg ...
>
> -#if (DIRECTFB_MINOR_VERSION <= 9) && (DIRECTFB_MICRO_VERSION <= 22)
> +#if (DIRECTFB_MAJOR_VERSION < 1) && (DIRECTFB_MINOR_VERSION <= 9) && (DIRECTFB_MICRO_VERSION <= 22)

FYI mythtv-vid has already been ported to DirectFB 1.0.x

-- Daniel

Re: DirectFB-1.0.0 [was -rc4], qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> FYI mythtv-vid has already been ported to DirectFB 1.0.x

Cool, thanks for that, I'll pull it and take a look. I'm obviously a fairly
recent arrival to the myth party, so can you point me to any info on the
mythtv-vid branch? So far, I've only found a couple of commit notes.

cheers, Cal

Re: DirectFB-1.0.0 [was -rc4], qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards wrote:

> Make sure there's no -fno-rtti in the compile line for myth/qt.

Very cool, thanks for that. Qt lights up nicely, but I wouldn't
say mythtv was quite "running" just yet. I'll see where this leads.

cheers, Cal
Re: DirectFB-1.0.0 [was -rc4], qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
Hi Alan, Hi Mike,
did you go any further on this? I had no time to test it. Is the Gui
running?

Thank for infos,
Peter

Re: DirectFB-1.0.0 [was -rc4], qt-embedded-free-3.3.7 [was 3.3.8] [ In reply to ]
Peter Schade wrote:
> Hi Alan, Hi Mike,
> did you go any further on this? I had no time to test it. Is the Gui
> running?

Erie timing. I had actually abandoned the effort, but there's been
some chatter over the last couple days about segfaults with qt 3.3.8.
I saw a few in my last effort (qte-3.3.8), and they were possibly the
main reason I abandoned it. I got to thinking it might be worth a try
with qte-3.3.7, so I started the builds a short while ago. I'll let
you know if it leads anywhere interesting.

cheers, Cal
Re: DirectFB-1.0.0 [was -rc4], qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]
The graphical part is running. However, the keyboard and mouse are
still a work in progress.

Mike

Re: DirectFB-1.0.0 [was -rc4], qt-embedded-free-3.3.7 [was 3.3.8] [ In reply to ]
> Erie timing. I had actually abandoned the effort, but there's been
> some chatter over the last couple days about segfaults with qt 3.3.8.
> I saw a few in my last effort (qte-3.3.8), and they were possibly the
> main reason I abandoned it. I got to thinking it might be worth a try
> with qte-3.3.7, so I started the builds a short while ago. I'll let
> you know if it leads anywhere interesting.

That's the version that I'm using and it seems to be working.
Re: DirectFB-1.0.0 [was -rc4], qt-embedded-free-3.3.8 [ In reply to ]