Mailing List Archive

trouble changing channels
Before I start -- I have a working myth database, and filldata completes fine.
xawtv works great too.

When I run mythtv or frontend, I get the following in the terminal it was run from:

Probed: Television
Probed: Composite1
Probed: S-Video
Probed: Composite3

Then I watch live tv, and it prints:

Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
libavcodec: CPU flags: mmx mmxext sse
using rtjpeg
strange error flushing buffer ...
player: Can't open audio device: /dev/dsp
open audio:: Device or resource busy
Using XV port 56

Absolutely nothing else is using /dev/dsp (checked with lsof). I get no audio
from mythtv, but I can hear live audio straight from the card. Pause, FF,
rewind all seem to work ok. So does the on-screen-display. I can go into and
out of the program guide. However, if I hit the up or down arrows to change the
channel, the display freezes. I can go back to the original window and ctrl-c
it, but that is the only way out.

Any ideas? Thanks
Matt
Re: trouble changing channels [ In reply to ]
On Monday 26 August 2002 10:16 pm, Matt Ettus wrote:
> Absolutely nothing else is using /dev/dsp (checked with lsof). I get no
> audio from mythtv, but I can hear live audio straight from the card.
> Pause, FF, rewind all seem to work ok. So does the on-screen-display. I
> can go into and out of the program guide. However, if I hit the up or down
> arrows to change the channel, the display freezes. I can go back to the
> original window and ctrl-c it, but that is the only way out.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks

Looks like your soundcard can't be opened full duplex, which is why it's
hanging on channel change. Fix that (alsa might work), and it'll work.

Isaac
Re: trouble changing channels [ In reply to ]
Quoting Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu>:

> On Monday 26 August 2002 10:16 pm, Matt Ettus wrote:
> > Absolutely nothing else is using /dev/dsp (checked with lsof). I get no
> > audio from mythtv, but I can hear live audio straight from the card.
> > Pause, FF, rewind all seem to work ok. So does the on-screen-display. I
> > can go into and out of the program guide. However, if I hit the up or
> down
> > arrows to change the channel, the display freezes. I can go back to the
> > original window and ctrl-c it, but that is the only way out.
> >
> > Any ideas? Thanks
>
> Looks like your soundcard can't be opened full duplex, which is why it's
> hanging on channel change. Fix that (alsa might work), and it'll work.

Good catch. But after investigating, there are other issues....

From a clean boot, I can run other audio apps (full-duplex or just play or just
record, even xawtv) as much as I want. I can kill -9 them in the middle. No
problem. But if I run mythtv, whether from a clean boot or after running other
sound apps, it can't open the audio device. Then, after I quit mythtv, no other
program can open the /dev/dsp device for writing until I reboot. Reading is
still ok, though.

This is confirmed by using mythmusic -- I can run mythfrontend, and play music
just fine, until I try to watch tv with it.

Strange.

Matt