question is: Should I spring for DDR ram? Will it be needed versus the PC100? Will the geforce2 MX be sufficient? It will handle the Xv extension with nvidia's binary driver. Any suggestions for hardware beyond this?

thanks!

Chris
Re: Some hardware questions [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 14 July 2002 07:54 pm, Chris Kleeschulte wrote:
> I am putting together a new myth tv box...can you advise me on some
> hardware?
<snip>
> question is: Should I spring for DDR ram? Will it be needed versus the
> PC100? Will the geforce2 MX be sufficient? It will handle the Xv extension
> with nvidia's binary driver. Any suggestions for hardware beyond this?

I don't know 'bout the RAM -- if you're buying it new, I'd go ahead and get
DDR. Looks to be $10 more expensive than a stick of PC100, at least on
newegg.com. If you've got the PC100 already, might as well give it a try. I
don't see it making much of a difference, really..

The gf2mx will work just dandy. I was using one (without a tv-out) before I
got the gf4.

Isaac
Re: Some hardware questions [ In reply to ]
Isaac:

I have a question about nuppelvideo-config and my lack of this file when I am building mythtv. Should this file be there, I wouldn't think so until libnuppelVideo is completed.

Chris
I am putting together a new myth tv box...can you advise me on some hardware?

motherboard, cpu, and ram: ECS K7S5A-2 with AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53Ghz) 266FSB CPU, with 128MB of PC100 ram.

video card: geforce2 MX w/ tv-out

harddisk: 80GB IBM 7200rpm

Re: Some hardware questions [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 17 July 2002 01:10 am, Chris Kleeschulte wrote:
> Isaac:
>
> I have a question about nuppelvideo-config and my lack of this file when I
> am building mythtv. Should this file be there, I wouldn't think so until
> libnuppelVideo is completed.

Right, it doesn't get made until after it's compiled. So, you're compiling
things out of order. The tv/ subdir comes first, as it says in the README.

Or, you can grab the latest cvs tarball from the website, as I just cleaned up
the build process considerably.

Isaac
Re: Some hardware questions [ In reply to ]
Got it, thanks! hehe..I just had to add some include directories into libmythtv's Makefile..and puff! compiled like a dream.

Re: Some hardware questions [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 17 July 2002 02:27 am, Chris Kleeschulte wrote:
> Got it, thanks! hehe..I just had to add some include directories into
> libmythtv's Makefile..and puff! compiled like a dream.

What'd you have to add?

Also, you might want to upgrade to a more recent CVS snapshot -- I wasn't
handling potential null returns from mysql to my queries well in a couple
places, and there's the possibility of a crash or two, during a channel
changes to a channel showing a program without a subtitle + description set
in the database. But, that's all fixed now. (Basically, std::string foo = 0;
seems to crash).

Isaac
Re: Some hardware questions [ In reply to ]
Ok, i feel really dumb about the settings.txt thing, maybe I need some sleep. Thanks for your never-ending patience with me and my questions. I actually do have some c++ programming experience (doesn't sound like it from my questions), so I am going to try some things with the mythfrontend to make it more appealing. I am using your latest as well....it was much quicker to compile. THANKS AGAIN!

Chris

Re: Some hardware questions [ In reply to ]
Oh, I added this to the libmythtv's Makefile under the INCPATH variable

-I/usr/X11R6/include

because my X11 header's couldn't be found.

just in case someone else has a similar problem! normally the include paths that Isaac had specified would be sufficient though.

it's works now.

Chris