Is this a known bug?

Regards,

Chris

Re: EIT scanner blocks shutdown [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 00:09 +0100, Chris Birkinshaw wrote:
> In the latest version from SVN I noticed that when I do not have any
> channels defined then autoshutdown works as expected, however once I
> add channels and the EIT scanner starts then the shutdown countdown
> never begins.

It's been this way since EIT scanning was introduced.

The scanner scans continuously until myth explicitly tunes to
a channel for recording. There is currently no way to determine
that we have collected all the available EIT data on a transport,
so it would be premature to try to add code to terminate scanning
so that shutdown can proceed.

-- Daniel

Re: EIT scanner blocks shutdown [ In reply to ]
Quoting Daniel Kristjansson <danielk@cuymedia.net>:

> It's been this way since EIT scanning was introduced.
>
> The scanner scans continuously until myth explicitly tunes to
> a channel for recording. There is currently no way to determine
> that we have collected all the available EIT data on a transport,
> so it would be premature to try to add code to terminate scanning
> so that shutdown can proceed.

Thanks for the speedy response! I value the point you are making,
however if we take the uk for example the full 7 day schedule for 6 UK
DTT muxes is downloaded in 7 mins, and no mutliple transport scanning
is needed as all the info is cross-carried. For something like the Sky
Astra 2 stuff then obviously there is a bit more work needed, however
there is no need to keep the box running 24/7 collecting data. It
might be best to think of a commercial PVR - what would it do when in
standby mode? The manufacturers assume that during the average length
of each occurrence of program watching or recording all the events
will be collected, so don't bother doing this when in standby. Even if
this is not the case (e.g. box off for a month) then once the box is
on and the EPG display loaded the schedule fills up fast in front of
your eyes as networks usually transmit the now and next with a
repitition rate of a matter of seconds, the first few days (e.g. 0-3)
of schedule with perhaps a couple of minute repition rate, and then
use a slower repition rate than the last few days (e.g. 4-8).

Would anybody consider a feature in mythtv whereby you specify how
long to scan for before shutting down? I am quite concerned about the
power consumption of my box!

Many thanks,

Chris