screens of people who don't want it there.

Another thought ran through my head today. How about a periodic
download of the current weather conditions in your area (driven by zip
code in the settings file), displayed on the main menu? What about a
news ticker, with the current headlines from some news source? Maybe
the ultimate goal would be a plug-in architecture where one or multiple
additional programs or modules could be called to deliver certain
information to Mythfrontend? After all, this is about convergence, right?
Re: OSD features (caller id, time) [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 17 November 2002 11:10 pm, rob wrote:
> I remember a while ago, maybe in the Tivo forums, a discussion about
> adding a caller ID feature such that when the phone rings, the phone
> number and other caller id information is displayed on-screen, which
> would be easier to read than on the caller ID box or phone display. I'm
> sure this wouldn't be difficult to implement, but I don't have an analog
> modem to play with.

Yup would be neat, and, same as you, I have no hardware for it. It's been
mentioned to me a few times before, though.

> The other thing that I think might be nice to have would be a display of
> the current time on the main menu and program guide. It might be nice
> to have it on the "Manage Recordings" menu, also, since it doesn't take
> up much space (5 characters). Of course, it could be driven by a
> configure-file option, so it wouldn't need to be displayed on the
> screens of people who don't want it there.
>
> Another thought ran through my head today. How about a periodic
> download of the current weather conditions in your area (driven by zip
> code in the settings file), displayed on the main menu? What about a
> news ticker, with the current headlines from some news source? Maybe
> the ultimate goal would be a plug-in architecture where one or multiple
> additional programs or modules could be called to deliver certain
> information to Mythfrontend? After all, this is about convergence, right?

A task bar along the bottom (or top) of the screen would be ideal for both of
these, I think.. Then the other UIs wouldn't have to know about anything
like that, and just draw around the task bar..

Isaac
Re: OSD features (caller id, time) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 10:10:34PM -0600, rob wrote:
> I remember a while ago, maybe in the Tivo forums, a discussion about
> adding a caller ID feature such that when the phone rings, the phone
> number and other caller id information is displayed on-screen, which

I used to do this with xawtv. Assuming there's a command-line method to
put something on the OSD in myth, you can do it with my caller-id
client/server system, here:

http://ecloud.org:8080/~ecloud/caller-id/

--
_______ Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD ecloud@bigfoot.com
(_ | |_) http://ecloud.org kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org
Re: OSD features (caller id, time) [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 17 November 2002 08:25 pm, you wrote:
> > adding a caller ID feature such that when the phone rings, the phone
> > number and other caller id information is displayed on-screen, which
> Yup would be neat, and, same as you, I have no hardware for it. It's been
> mentioned to me a few times before, though.

The folks at http://www.clarkconnect.org/ have something like that with their
router product.

http://www.clarkconnect.org/docs/1.1/callerid.htm

Maybe someone could take a look at the code.
RE: OSD features (caller id, time) [ In reply to ]
Maybe this is going too far, but if you could make that taskbar only
appear when you hit a button, you could add all sorts of functional
stuff to it: sports scores ripped from a sporting site, the current
temperature...two things I always notice is that when it storms out, I
am always in front of my computer watching the Doppler radar and when I
am watching football on Sundays I am always wanting to know what is
happening in other games. Perhaps at best stealing the Doppler radar
images from weather.com would work...and maybe you could rip the scores
from ESPN.com...although I don't know if either would be reliable in the
long run. Just some thoughts for the future, I guess...even more
mythical...

Nate
RE: OSD features (caller id, time) [ In reply to ]
Is the goal to have a separate section for all the
addons that people are talking about (callid, weather,
sports, etc...) or just have them as button-pressed
features? (or has nobody given it that much thought
yet? :)

I think it would be cool to integrate an optional
ticker that scrolled across the bottom of the screen
like CNN does with configurable data sources that
displayed sports scores, weather, news, status of IM
buddies, (the list goes on)...

-Eric

http://webhosting.yahoo.com
Re: OSD features (caller id, time) [ In reply to ]
On Monday 18 November 2002 11:00 am, eric nelson wrote:
> Is the goal to have a separate section for all the
> addons that people are talking about (callid, weather,
> sports, etc...) or just have them as button-pressed
> features? (or has nobody given it that much thought
> yet? :)
>
> I think it would be cool to integrate an optional
> ticker that scrolled across the bottom of the screen
> like CNN does with configurable data sources that
> displayed sports scores, weather, news, status of IM
> buddies, (the list goes on)...

Haven't given it much thought yet -- really, I'd just like a time display, and
some room for various status indicators (ripping a disc, burning a disc,
etc)..

Isaac