Mailing List Archive

How do you stop qmake from trying to strip all installed files?
I'm trying to create a qmake .pro file to make/install a new
program for myth but the resulting make file always try's to
strip every file it installs.

Here's the .pro file

INCLUDEPATH += ../../libs/ ../../libs/libmyth

LIBS += -L../../libs/libmyth -L../../libs/libmythtv

include ( ../../config.mak )
include (../../settings.pro)

TEMPLATE = app
CONFIG += thread
target.path = $${PREFIX}/bin
INSTALLS = target

installfiles.path = $${PREFIX}/bin
installfiles.files = mythshutdown

config.path = /etc
config.files = mythshutdown.conf.example

uifiles.path = $${PREFIX}/share/mythtv/themes/default
uifiles.files = welcome-ui.xml images/*.png

INSTALLS += installfiles config uifiles

DEPENDPATH += ../../libs/libmythtv ../../libs/libmyth

LIBS += -lmythtv-$$LIBVERSION -lmyth-$$LIBVERSION $$EXTRA_LIBS

QMAKE_CLEAN += $(TARGET)

# Input
HEADERS += welcomedialog.h
SOURCES += main.cpp welcomedialog.cpp

and here's the resulting output from make install:

# make install
cp -f "mythwelcome" "/usr/bin/mythwelcome"
strip "/usr/bin/mythwelcome"
cp -f "mythshutdown" "/usr/bin/"
strip "/usr/bin/mythshutdown"
strip: /usr/bin/mythshutdown: File format not recognized
make: [install_installfiles] Error 1 (ignored)
cp -f "mythshutdown.conf.example" "/etc/"
cp -f "welcome-ui.xml" "/usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/"
cp -f "images/mw_text_button_off.png" "/usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/"
strip "/usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/mw_text_button_off.png"
strip: /usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/mw_text_button_off.png: File format
not recognized
make: [install_uifiles] Error 1 (ignored)
cp -f "images/mw_text_button_on.png" "/usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/"
strip "/usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/mw_text_button_on.png"
strip: /usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/mw_text_button_on.png: File format
not recognized
make: [install_uifiles] Error 1 (ignored)
cp -f "images/mw_text_button_pushed.png" "/usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/"
strip "/usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/mw_text_button_pushed.png"
strip: /usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/mw_text_button_pushed.png: File
format not recognized
make: [install_uifiles] Error 1 (ignored)

Everything does get installed OK but as you can see there are errors
in the output. Why does a very similar mythweather.pro work OK but
this one fails? It's got me beat.

Any help to figure this out would be much appreciated.

Paul

Re: How do you stop qmake from trying to strip all installedfiles? [ In reply to ]
try adding
QMAKE_STRIP = echo
to the settings file.
this way I can get a release build with debug syms.
cheers
mark

Re: How do you stop qmake from trying to strip all installed files? [ In reply to ]
mark@dclabs.com.au wrote:

>try adding
>QMAKE_STRIP = echo
>to the settings file.
>this way I can get a release build with debug syms.
>cheers
>mark

Thanks Mark

Adding QMAKE_STRIP = echo worked. All the files get
installed with no errors. The only problem I see is that the target
executable then does not get stripped. I tried adding

target.extra = strip $(TARGET)

which does strip just the target but then it does not seem to be
installed.

At least I have a workable solution now thanks.

Paul

Re: Re: How do you stop qmake from trying to strip all installed files? [ In reply to ]
Paul wrote:

>At least I have a workable solution now thanks.

You had a workable solution before. Not being able to strip those files
doesn't hurt anything.
Re: How do you stop qmake from trying to strip all installed files? [ In reply to ]