Mailing List Archive

some stats from my celeron 1.7Ghz and a question
I was running mythtv today at 480x480...video capture quality of about 230 and a mp3 quality of 4 w/ my celeron 1.7 Ghz. The system was running fine at about 72% CPU load for about 40 minutes before I started getting the message on the console:

"audio running behind..."
"no more audio buffers :-("

(I got a lot more of the above)

eventually the picture locked.....I am assuming this is just because the CPU was too high and the audio encoding lagged behind enough to lock the picture. Am I correct? I didn't have time to reduce the system load/resolution and try again. Anyone else have this happen?

Isaac: What resolution are you running your mythtv? Any problems at higher resolutions?

Some more stats on my machine in case you're interested:

@ 640x480....system CPU runs at 95-97%
@ 480x480....system CPU runs at 70-73%
@ 352x240....system CPU runs at 8-10%

more stats later.

thanks,
Chris
Re: some stats from my celeron 1.7Ghz and a question [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 14 August 2002 06:51 pm, Chris Kleeschulte wrote:
> I was running mythtv today at 480x480...video capture quality of about 230
> and a mp3 quality of 4 w/ my celeron 1.7 Ghz. The system was running fine
> at about 72% CPU load for about 40 minutes before I started getting the
> message on the console:
>
> "audio running behind..."
> "no more audio buffers :-("
>
> (I got a lot more of the above)

Know which one showed up first? And, maybe have the actual error messages?
The 'audio behind' message should have a couple of numbers after it, and the
first few times that shows up would be interesting to see..

> eventually the picture locked.....I am assuming this is just because the
> CPU was too high and the audio encoding lagged behind enough to lock the
> picture. Am I correct? I didn't have time to reduce the system
> load/resolution and try again. Anyone else have this happen?

I've not had happen, but I don't think it was due to load.. The lock up
probably happened because the audio and video were so far out of sync that
the player didn't know what to do to get them back in sync. Not sure why the
audio recording started lagging, though..

> Isaac: What resolution are you running your mythtv? Any problems at higher
> resolutions?

480x480 at quality 170.. Not enough difference on my tv + viewing distance to
be worth the extra space for higher res/higher quality, though that may
change soonish.. I've not noticed any problems with higher resolutions,
though.

> Some more stats on my machine in case you're interested:
>

> @ 640x480....system CPU runs at 95-97%
> @ 480x480....system CPU runs at 70-73%
> @ 352x240....system CPU runs at 8-10%

The numbers for my athlon 1800+ are much lower, like half those -- are you
running a debug build, or is the celery really that much slower?

Isaac
Re: some stats from my celeron 1.7Ghz and a question [ In reply to ]
I will look for the error again and grab the numbers (my console dumped the beginning due to too many of the messages being outputted; I will instead dump the output to a file). Yeah the Celeron is really that slow because I am definitely not using a debug build. I am not sure why the Celeron can't crunch the numbers as fast as your 1800+...I don't think the larger on-chip cache matters, does it? I will definitely post those audio messages because I think they might help someone else that has my config.

thanks Isaac,