Mailing List Archive

Remote and Cable Box
Great project!

Is it currenlty possible to have MythTV change the
channel on my cable box, instead of my tuner? The
reason I ask is because I have digtial cable, however
I only have a analog WinTV tuner card in my PC. I have
heard of other windows based software using a Actisys
iRDA ( http://www.actisys.com/ac200-220.html ) to do
this.

This is what I am thinking. MythTV can be locked to a
channel (Example channel 3 or Line in). When you use
the remote to change the channel it simply (*cough*)
passes it to the digitial box, and the channel on teh
digital box is changed. This way I can schedule
recording or programs on digital channels that I can
not normally get.

If this is crazy, or it seems like there is a flaw
here please let me know. I am new to coding (only past
PHP and light VB) so it might not make an since.

Thank you,
-M

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com
Re: Remote and Cable Box [ In reply to ]
Yup, see here:

http://www.snowman.net/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2002-July/000020.html

Essentially, most of the code's there for it, it just needs someone that
actually wants the feature to finish it up.

Isaac

Re: Remote and Cable Box [ In reply to ]
well, from the hardware standpoint...you would need a separate IR device to blast the signal to the cable box's (or satellite receiver) IR receiver from the mythtv box. This part is easy. I built a homemade IR tranmitter for less than 15 bucks from parts at radioshack to do this. I am currently looking for that external program Isaac was talking about. I have seen some that will certainly do it, but I have not settled on one yet. I got the plans for the home made IR transmitter from

http://www.lirc.org

it works as advertised.

some sat/cable receivers have serial connectors to control them if needed, but I am not going there because those devices would be very specialized.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the hardware for this other than what I have proposed?

Chris

Re: Remote and Cable Box [ In reply to ]
Great I am going to load up a new box this weekend and
play with this. I have also looked at Lirc and think
this is the hardware I will be using. Do you have the
Radio Shack part numbers you used to build the
transmitter? Also what Distro are you using?

-M

Re: Remote and Cable Box [ In reply to ]
Do you have the
Radio Shack part numbers you used to build the
transmitter?

sure, I will get those part #'s to you when I get home tonight. They are really common components...like the 1n4148 diode and a standard ir led.

as for a distro....I build my own distro...so I can squeeze every bit of customizability out of my packages. I do recommend Slackware to anyone because it is pretty organized. Myth will run on any linux distro though...just make sure you grab one with a later version of Xfree...like 4.2.