Mailing List Archive

libNuppelVideo and switching modes
Regarding Nuppelvideo and the heavily modified libNuppelVideo, I am a bit confused as to how nuppelvideo works to display the TV.

1. How did you hack nuppelvideo so it does not need to use xawtv to put the card into the right state?

2. Are those states TV RF(composite) input to the card and regular video input?

3. Since myth tv uses a hacked nuppelvideo lib, can you switch to and from tuner ==> video input with myth tv? I have direct tv and analog cable tv. Can I build functionality into myth to accomodate both or would be a big pain?

thanks for your time.

Chris
Re: libNuppelVideo and switching modes [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 10 July 2002 08:24 pm, you wrote:
> Regarding Nuppelvideo and the heavily modified libNuppelVideo, I am a bit
> confused as to how nuppelvideo works to display the TV.
>
> 1. How did you hack nuppelvideo so it does not need to use xawtv to put the
> card into the right state?

I just made it properly initialize the card, it wasn't doing it completely
before. If you browse through the CVS tree, you can probably find the commit
with that change in it -- I think it's in tv/channel.cpp

> 2. Are those states TV RF(composite) input to the card and regular video
> input?

Currently, it just deals with the RF input.

> 3. Since myth tv uses a hacked nuppelvideo lib, can you switch to and from
> tuner ==> video input with myth tv? I have direct tv and analog cable tv.
> Can I build functionality into myth to accomodate both or would be a big
> pain?

Can't switch between em in the current codebase, no. It really shouldn't be
all that hard to implement it, though. I'd be happy to give you pointers and
eventually accept a patch that does that, if you're so inclined to work on
one =)

Isaac
Re: libNuppelVideo and switching modes [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 11 July 2002 01:59 am, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > 3. Since myth tv uses a hacked nuppelvideo lib, can you switch to and
> > from tuner ==> video input with myth tv? I have direct tv and analog
> > cable tv. Can I build functionality into myth to accomodate both or would
> > be a big pain?
>
> Can't switch between em in the current codebase, no. It really shouldn't
> be all that hard to implement it, though. I'd be happy to give you
> pointers and eventually accept a patch that does that, if you're so
> inclined to work on one =)
>
> Isaac

I just committed code to CVS to handle _most_ of this functionality.
Basically, support's there for switching inputs manually (using the 'c' key)
and for switching to an input and changing channels on an external device
(using an external program) automatically. So, telling the TV code to switch
to channel 'Composite1:25' would switch to the Composite1 input of the TV
card, and call an external program like 'changedevice 25' to change the
channel on the external device.

So, if you'd want to finish off the feature, and have it be useable with
everything, like scheduled recordings and live tv, here's what needs done:

1) Modifying the database structure to use a string instead of an int for
channels. This would be pretty easy, just a matter of modifying the database
structures, and then going through the codebase to modify the few places
where it writes an int to the channel number fields.

2) Modifying the grabber scripts to be able to grab multiple sources, and
prepend the proper prefix to the channel numbers it grabs -- maybe:
./filldata Composite1
would grab all the dish channels, create channels in the database like
Composite1:3, Composite1:4, etc., while:
./filldata
would grab all the regular TV channels and inset them like normal. Basically
just a tiny bit of scripting.

3) Testing it to make sure it all works.

It should be quite easy.. I just don't have any real use for the feature, and
I can't really test it, so I'll probably just leave it as is, until you (or
someone else) submits a patch to finish things off.

Isaac