Mailing List Archive

GUI window size patch for mythmusic
Isaac (et al.)

Very promising project. Had been thinking about doing something along
similar lines for some time ... nice to see someone else has already started
on it.

I've got a box with some DC10 (motion jpeg capture) cards that do really
nice encoding using the mjpegtools package, so I'm going to try and integrate
that in (but then myth will need setup routines/dialogues etc. ... lots to
do).

I can get mythTV to build and run from the CVS version, but the colors are a
fair ways off (blueish), the sound is about 1/2 a second off sync, and audio
never matches video when pausing and then playing back (audio just keeps
being "live"). The machine is very fast (Pentium 4, ~900 Mhz), so I've
started mucking about with the code to try and figure out what's wrong.

Also, the to_mysql perl script dies on data that has character codes in it.
Spanish shows and/or actors with accented vowels get through XMLTV ok
(tv_grab_na and tv_sort) but to_mysql stops with errors. I know nothing about
Perl, so can't help you there.

Attached is a patch for mythmusic that lets the user specify GUI window
sizes in the mythmusic-settings.txt file (for people like me who are running
at 640x480 on the television, but 1280x1152 on the monitor). I'll send a
similar one for the mythTV tree tomorrow.

For the patch, make sure you're in the mythmusic/mythmusic subdirectory, and
you should be able to just do:

patch < mythWindowSizePatch.diff

BR,

Thor
Re: GUI window size patch for mythmusic [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 08 August 2002 12:01 am, thor@lamedomainname.com wrote:
> Isaac (et al.)
>
> Very promising project. Had been thinking about doing something along
> similar lines for some time ... nice to see someone else has already
> started on it.

Thanks =)

> I've got a box with some DC10 (motion jpeg capture) cards that do really
> nice encoding using the mjpegtools package, so I'm going to try and
> integrate that in (but then myth will need setup routines/dialogues etc.
> ... lots to do).

Well, it needs setup dialogs now, too. And a way to write back the settings
files, and a bunch of other stuff..

> I can get mythTV to build and run from the CVS version, but the colors are
> a fair ways off (blueish), the sound is about 1/2 a second off sync, and
> audio never matches video when pausing and then playing back (audio just
> keeps being "live"). The machine is very fast (Pentium 4, ~900 Mhz), so
> I've started mucking about with the code to try and figure out what's
> wrong.

Broken Xv driver, for the color problem, most likely. Sounds like it's
flipping the U and V color buffers. Well, that or I'm using the wrong mode,
or the driver doesn't support the video mode I'm using. Does running 'xawtv
-xv' show something similar? Does changing line 34 of libNuppelVideo/XJ.cpp
to be defined to 0x32315659 help any?

For the sound, you need to mute your line-in, and most likely set the mixer to
record on the line-in. You're probably hearing the pass-through, and
nothing's getting recorded.

> Also, the to_mysql perl script dies on data that has character codes in
> it. Spanish shows and/or actors with accented vowels get through XMLTV ok
> (tv_grab_na and tv_sort) but to_mysql stops with errors. I know nothing
> about Perl, so can't help you there.

Your perl's probably about the same level as mine, so =)

> Attached is a patch for mythmusic that lets the user specify GUI window
> sizes in the mythmusic-settings.txt file (for people like me who are
> running at 640x480 on the television, but 1280x1152 on the monitor). I'll
> send a similar one for the mythTV tree tomorrow.

Thanks, but I'm not going to apply until the new menu code (just committed)
and the program guide work right with the resizing stuff. I think Bad
Things(tm) would happen to the menu right now if it were to be resized..
But, that'll give me incentive to fix 'em.

Isaac
Re: GUI window size patch for mythmusic [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 08 August 2002 01:10 am, you wrote:

> > Attached is a patch for mythmusic that lets the user specify GUI window
> > sizes in the mythmusic-settings.txt file (for people like me who are
> > running at 640x480 on the television, but 1280x1152 on the monitor). I'll
> > send a similar one for the mythTV tree tomorrow.
>
> Thanks, but I'm not going to apply until the new menu code (just committed)
> and the program guide work right with the resizing stuff. I think Bad
> Things(tm) would happen to the menu right now if it were to be resized..
> But, that'll give me incentive to fix 'em.
>
> Isaac

The patch was just for mythMUSIC, and it works fine at all resolutions I've
tried. You've got a normalizer your code there, and Qt always scales GUI
stuff well.

I'll have a look at the new menu code for mythTV before proceeding ...

BR,

Thor

Thor Sigvaldason <thor@sigvaldason.com>
For my PGP/GnuPG public key, send an e-mail to thorskey@sigvaldason.com
Re: GUI window size patch for mythmusic [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 08 August 2002 10:42 am, mythtv@lamedomainname.com wrote:
> The patch was just for mythMUSIC, and it works fine at all resolutions
> I've tried. You've got a normalizer your code there, and Qt always scales
> GUI stuff well.

And the new menu code is used there. Also, the graphics that it loads for the
little icons in the tree, and the icons on the playback controls, don't get
scaled yet. I was intending to enable the screen resizing stuff once
everything worked to my satisfaction with it.

Isaac
Re: GUI window size patch for mythmusic [ In reply to ]
I went and fixed all (hopefully) of the screen resize issues.. the themed
menu is rather slow when it's resized up to higher resolution, which I'll
have to look into..

So, your patch is in now, and I made similar mods to the mythtv tree.

I did change the settings to be in theme.txt, so they could be shared slightly
easier between the two programs.

Isaac