Mailing List Archive

unsubscribe
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]

>unsubscribe

Hello,
To unsubscribe from the modperl user lists,please send an empty email to modperl-unsubscribe@perl.apache.org

--
Books below translated by me to Chinese.
Practical mod_perl: http://home.earthlink.net/~pangj/mod_perl/
Squid the Definitive Guide: http://home.earthlink.net/~pangj/squid/
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
Try: modperl-unsubscribe@perl.apache.org

Maybe it would help to have this bit of information, obvious as it
should be, appended to each message, as is the case with many other
mailing lists. (While even that may be ignored in certain cases, it
certainly wouldn't be in all cases.)

At the moment, the unsubscribe address appears only in the mail headers.
Apart from being listed on the website, of course.

Michael Ludwig
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
> How many times to people have to tell you to look at the
> headers of the e-mail for the list management addresses?
> --mark--

When using gmail it's not exactly obvious. I agree with someone who
posted a few days ago. It wouldn't hurt to put it in a footer.

--

-fREW
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
My email doesn't display any headers. Sorry it bothers people. I've got the right address to unsubscribe.

Yuan

Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
Mark Hedges schrieb:
> How many times to people have to tell you to look at the
> headers of the e-mail for the list management addresses?
> --mark--

The funny thing is that each new ill-informed "unsubscribe" request sent
to the list that is not publicly rebuked must corroborate the notion, in
the eyes of some potential deserters, that this is, indeed, a successful
exit strategy.

Folks, it really isn't. Instead, try:

Michael Ludwig

PS: The other day, on the Tomcat list, there was a guy (or girl) named
Dara P. Maginnis (honor to whom honor is due) who obviously had set up
an absentee notification that fired on list mail, which is not uncommon,
but then, not once per day, but on each new mail received from the list.
Including, it seems, his owns messages, so that the annoyance went into
a tight three-minute loop, until the cause was, finally, permanently
banned. Still makes me giggle.

http://marc.info/?t=123211250800002&r=1&w=2
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Yuan Zhang wrote:

> My email doesn't display any headers. Sorry it bothers
> people. I've got the right address to unsubscribe.
>
> Yuan

> > How many times to people have to tell you to look at the
> > headers of the e-mail for the list management addresses?
> > --mark--
>
> When using gmail it's not exactly obvious. I agree with someone who
> posted a few days ago. It wouldn't hurt to put it in a footer.

I apologize for my irascible reaction.

I realized that the right solution for me is to filter
messages with 'unsubscribe' in the subject line. :-)

Mark
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
fREW Schmidt wrote:
>> How many times to people have to tell you to look at the
>> headers of the e-mail for the list management addresses?
>> --mark--
>
> When using gmail it's not exactly obvious. I agree with someone who
> posted a few days ago. It wouldn't hurt to put it in a footer.

By default, my mailer doesn't show headers so I'd have to choose "View all headers" in the menu. The point, I think, is that when someone has decided to leave, unless they're changing e-mail addresses, they're basically an "unsatisfied customer" and we can't expect them to do too much as they are leaving. That might also include visiting the web site of this mailing list.

I also support a footer of either the unsubscribe address or the URL of this list. Another list that I'm on sends out an automated e-mail once a month (always first of the month). A bit annoying and I question its usefulness if someone wants to leave at the end of the month... :-)

Ray
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
the idea was floated on the anti-spam research group mailing list
recently (dec 08) of the possibility of MUA software to offer an
"unsubscribe" button when displaying a message with mailing list
headers, possibly in place of the existing "This is spam!" button if
any.

I filed a feature request with Gmail, and now I'm repeating the idea
in this forum; perhaps it will reach and take root in the minds of
mod-perl-based webmail system authors.
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
--- On Fri, 1/23/09, David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com> wrote:
> the idea was floated on the anti-spam research group mailing list
> recently (dec 08) of the possibility of MUA software to offer an
> "unsubscribe" button when displaying a message with mailing list
> headers, possibly in place of the existing "This is spam!" button if
> any.
>
> I filed a feature request with Gmail, and now I'm repeating the idea
> in this forum; perhaps it will reach and take root in the minds of
> mod-perl-based webmail system authors.

How will the webmail client distinguish between messages from mailing
lists that you're actually subscribed too and fake ones which are just
simply phishing for active email addresses?

I'm pretty sure that this "feature" will achieve the latter, and make
the spam list market more viable than it currently is, and thus be
counter-productive.

Phil
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
Phil Carmody wrote:
> --- On Fri, 1/23/09, David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
I am personally against any change to the current situation.
These misdirected unsubscribe messages always seem to provide a useful
outlet for whomever needs to let out steam..
:-)
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
André Warnier wrote:
> Phil Carmody wrote:
>> --- On Fri, 1/23/09, David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> I am personally against any change to the current situation.
> These misdirected unsubscribe messages always seem to provide a useful
> outlet for whomever needs to let out steam..
> :-)

Awww... put the footer on the messages. Trust me, from users@httpd
experience, you'll still have plenty of fun (more probably, if they
couldn't read to the bottom of the message they are ensured of seeing).
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]