Mailing List Archive

Confusion about SQL results - row counts and contents differ
Hi all,

I'm a little confused about my little mod_perl web site at the moment.

I'm doing an SQL query, then punting the results into a dataset to
display via the web page.

When I do the query directly on the SQL server, I see:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers;
30

When I do the same in code via the web page, I get:
$sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers");
$vars->{"count"} = $dbh->selectcol_arrayref($sth, undef);

'count' => [ 29 ]

Even trying a slightly different approach:
$sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers");
$sth->execute();
$vars->{"count"} = $sth->fetchrow_hashref();

count' => { 'COUNT(*)' => 29 }

This table is only ever updated manually - so there is no possible way
that the contents are being updated during these runs - however I also
note that the data returned in something like `SELECT * FROM printers`
is different than what I get by running the query directly.

Annoyingly, even after restarting apache, restarting mariadb, and even
restarting the entire machine, I still see this issue.

That leaves me completely stuck - how can old data be returned - even
after a full machine reboot?

Am I missing something kinda obvious?

The system is Fedora 37 with the following versions:
mariadb-10.9.4-1
mod_perl-2.0.12-5
httpd-2.4.54-5
perl-DBD-MariaDB-1.22-3
perl-DBD-MySQL-4.050-15

I've tried both the dbi:mysql and dbi:MariaDB - and the same occurs.
--
Steven Haigh

???? netwiz@crc.id.au <mailto:netwiz@crc.id.au>
???? https://crc.id.au <https://www.crc.id.au/>
Re: Confusion about SQL results - row counts and contents differ [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 27 Jan 2023, 09:43 Steven Haigh via modperl, <
modperl@perl.apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a little confused about my little mod_perl web site at the moment.
>
> I'm doing an SQL query, then punting the results into a dataset to display
> via the web page.
>
> When I do the query directly on the SQL server, I see:
>
> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers;
> 30
>
> When I do the same in code via the web page, I get:
> $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers");
> $vars->{"count"} = $dbh->selectcol_arrayref($sth, undef);
>
> 'count' => [ 29 ]
>
> Even trying a slightly different approach:
> $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers");
> $sth->execute();
> $vars->{"count"} = $sth->fetchrow_hashref();
>
> count' => { 'COUNT(*)' => 29 }
>
> This table is only ever updated manually - so there is no possible way
> that the contents are being updated during these runs - however I also note
> that the data returned in something like `SELECT * FROM printers` is
> different than what I get by running the query directly.

What do you mean by different?

> Annoyingly, even after restarting apache, restarting mariadb, and even
> restarting the entire machine, I still see this issue.
>
> That leaves me completely stuck - how can old data be returned - even
> after a full machine reboot?
>
> Am I missing something kinda obvious?
>
> The system is Fedora 37 with the following versions:
> mariadb-10.9.4-1
> mod_perl-2.0.12-5
> httpd-2.4.54-5
> perl-DBD-MariaDB-1.22-3
> perl-DBD-MySQL-4.050-15
>
> I've tried both the dbi:mysql and dbi:MariaDB - and the same occurs.

Are you sure you are connecting to the same dB?

I'd debug this with a simple perl script and no mod_perl, and then work
forward from there.

Yves

Re: Confusion about SQL results - row counts and contents differ [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 27 2023 at 09:50:42 +0800, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023, 09:43 Steven Haigh via modperl,
> <modperl@perl.apache.org <mailto:modperl@perl.apache.org>> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm a little confused about my little mod_perl web site at the
>> moment.
>>
>> I'm doing an SQL query, then punting the results into a dataset to
>> display via the web page.
>>
>> When I do the query directly on the SQL server, I see:
>>
>> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers;
>> 30
>>
>> When I do the same in code via the web page, I get:
>> $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers");
>> $vars->{"count"} = $dbh->selectcol_arrayref($sth, undef);
>>
>> 'count' => [ 29 ]
>>
>> Even trying a slightly different approach:
>> $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers");
>> $sth->execute();
>> $vars->{"count"} = $sth->fetchrow_hashref();
>>
>> count' => { 'COUNT(*)' => 29 }
>>
>> This table is only ever updated manually - so there is no possible
>> way that the contents are being updated during these runs - however
>> I also note that the data returned in something like `SELECT * FROM
>> printers` is different than what I get by running the query directly.
>
> What do you mean by different?
>>
>> Annoyingly, even after restarting apache, restarting mariadb, and
>> even restarting the entire machine, I still see this issue.
>>
>> That leaves me completely stuck - how can old data be returned -
>> even after a full machine reboot?
>>
>> Am I missing something kinda obvious?
>>
>> The system is Fedora 37 with the following versions:
>> mariadb-10.9.4-1
>> mod_perl-2.0.12-5
>> httpd-2.4.54-5
>> perl-DBD-MariaDB-1.22-3
>> perl-DBD-MySQL-4.050-15
>>
>> I've tried both the dbi:mysql and dbi:MariaDB - and the same occurs.
>
> Are you sure you are connecting to the same dB?
>
> I'd debug this with a simple perl script and no mod_perl, and then
> work forward from there.

I stripped this back to:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use POSIX qw(strftime);
use Data::Dumper;
use DBI;

## Connect to the database...
my $sqldb = "dbname";
my $sqlusername = "dbusername";
my $sqlpassword = "dbpassword";
my $sqlhost = "localhost";
my $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:MariaDB:$sqldb:$sqlhost", $sqlusername,
$sqlpassword) || die "Unable to connect to database! $!";

my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers");
$sth->execute();

print Dumper($sth->fetchrow_hashref());

Yet that also returns 29.

So now I'm *really* confused - but at least that rules out mod_perl.....

RE: Confusion about SQL results - row counts and contents differ [ In reply to ]
Hi

This page on perlmonks.org/?node_id=317752 mentions you should name the count(*) value and then call for the value of that “column”.

I hope that can point you in a good direction

Mike

Re: Confusion about SQL results - row counts and contents differ [ In reply to ]
Maybe you haven't committed some manual change on the server, so it isn't
visible to other connections.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 8:56 PM Steven Haigh via modperl <

Re: Confusion about SQL results - row counts and contents differ [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 27 Jan 2023, 09:55 Steven Haigh, <netwiz@crc.id.au> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 27 2023 at 09:50:42 +0800, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023, 09:43 Steven Haigh via modperl, <
> modperl@perl.apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm a little confused about my little mod_perl web site at the moment.
>>
>> I'm doing an SQL query, then punting the results into a dataset to
>> display via the web page.
>>
>> When I do the query directly on the SQL server, I see:
>>
>> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers;
>> 30
>>
>> When I do the same in code via the web page, I get:
>> $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers");
>> $vars->{"count"} = $dbh->selectcol_arrayref($sth, undef);
>>
>> 'count' => [ 29 ]
>>
>> Even trying a slightly different approach:
>> $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers");
>> $sth->execute();
>> $vars->{"count"} = $sth->fetchrow_hashref();
>>
>> count' => { 'COUNT(*)' => 29 }
>>
>> This table is only ever updated manually - so there is no possible way
>> that the contents are being updated during these runs - however I also note
>> that the data returned in something like `SELECT * FROM printers` is
>> different than what I get by running the query directly.
>>

> What do you mean by different?
>

>> Annoyingly, even after restarting apache, restarting mariadb, and even
>> restarting the entire machine, I still see this issue.
>>
>> That leaves me completely stuck - how can old data be returned - even
>> after a full machine reboot?
>>
>> Am I missing something kinda obvious?
>>
>> The system is Fedora 37 with the following versions:
>> mariadb-10.9.4-1
>> mod_perl-2.0.12-5
>> httpd-2.4.54-5
>> perl-DBD-MariaDB-1.22-3
>> perl-DBD-MySQL-4.050-15
>>
>> I've tried both the dbi:mysql and dbi:MariaDB - and the same occurs.
>>

> Are you sure you are connecting to the same dB?
>
> I'd debug this with a simple perl script and no mod_perl, and then work
> forward from there.
>

> I stripped this back to:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use strict;
> use warnings;
> use POSIX qw(strftime);
> use Data::Dumper;
> use DBI;
>
> ## Connect to the database...
> my $sqldb = "dbname";
> my $sqlusername = "dbusername";
> my $sqlpassword = "dbpassword";
> my $sqlhost = "localhost";
> my $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:MariaDB:$sqldb:$sqlhost", $sqlusername,
> $sqlpassword) || die "Unable to connect to database! $!";
>
> my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers");
> $sth->execute();
>
> print Dumper($sth->fetchrow_hashref());
>
> Yet that also returns 29.
>
> So now I'm *really* confused - but at least that rules out mod_perl.....

Can you do a select * on the table and see if it returns what you expect?
Also the $sth should know how many rows are returned. So have it print out
the rows() property as well.

This issue rings a bell for me, but I can't put my finger on it. Been a
while since I last used mysql.

Double check that there isn't something going on in your direct client that
would account for the extra row. I have a hazy recollection of something
like that.

Yves

Re: Confusion about SQL results - row counts and contents differ [ In reply to ]
Instead of COUNT(*) what do you see when you do a SELECT * ?

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023, 6:07 PM Perrin Harkins <pharkins@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe you haven't committed some manual change on the server, so it isn't
> visible to other connections.
>
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 8:56 PM Steven Haigh via modperl <
> modperl@perl.apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Jan 27 2023 at 09:50:42 +0800, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023, 09:43 Steven Haigh via modperl, <
>> modperl@perl.apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm a little confused about my little mod_perl web site at the moment.
>>>
>>> I'm doing an SQL query, then punting the results into a dataset to
>>> display via the web page.
>>>
>>> When I do the query directly on the SQL server, I see:
>>>
>>> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers;
>>> 30
>>>
>>> When I do the same in code via the web page, I get:
>>> $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers");
>>> $vars->{"count"} = $dbh->selectcol_arrayref($sth, undef);
>>>
>>> 'count' => [ 29 ]
>>>
>>> Even trying a slightly different approach:
>>> $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM printers");
>>> $sth->execute();
>>> $vars->{"count"} = $sth->fetchrow_hashref();
>>>
>>> count' => { 'COUNT(*)' => 29 }
>>>
>>> This table is only ever updated manually - so there is no possible way
>>> that the contents are being updated during these runs - however I also note
>>> that the data returned in something like `SELECT * FROM printers` is
>>> different than what I get by running the query directly.
>>>

>> What do you mean by different?
>>

>>> Annoyingly, even after restarting apache, restarting mariadb, and even
>>> restarting the entire machine, I still see this issue.
>>>
>>> That leaves me completely stuck - how can old data be returned - even
>>> after a full machine reboot?
>>>
>>> Am I missing something kinda obvious?
>>>
>>> The system is Fedora 37 with the following versions:
>>> mariadb-10.9.4-1
>>> mod_perl-2.0.12-5
>>> httpd-2.4.54-5
>>> perl-DBD-MariaDB-1.22-3

Re: Confusion about SQL results - row counts and contents differ [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 26 2023 at 21:07:17 -0500, Perrin Harkins
<pharkins@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe you haven't committed some manual change on the server, so it
> isn't visible to other connections.

I thought about this - but surely, restarting *everything* (db + apache
+ entire VM) would cause this to fall out.

Also, when running the test script manually from the command line,
surely that would bring up a new connection and then at least return
the new data.

Hell, I even went as far as to drop the table and re-create it - yet
when querying via DBI - I still (somehow?!) get the old data :|
Re: Confusion about SQL results - row counts and contents differ [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 27 Jan 2023, 10:35 Steven Haigh via modperl, <
modperl@perl.apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26 2023 at 21:07:17 -0500, Perrin Harkins <pharkins@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Maybe you haven't committed some manual change on the server, so it isn't
> visible to other connections.
>

> I thought about this - but surely, restarting *everything* (db + apache +
> entire VM) would cause this to fall out.
>
> Also, when running the test script manually from the command line, surely
> that would bring up a new connection and then at least return the new data.
>
> Hell, I even went as far as to drop the table and re-create it - yet when
> querying via DBI - I still (somehow?!) get the old data :|

Are you absolutely certain you are in the same schema? Do you have a backup
schema hosted on the same server?

I am pretty sure this is some kind of pebcak, but which I can't say. (No
offense intended.)

Yves
Re: Confusion about SQL results - row counts and contents differ [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 27 2023 at 10:41:02 +0800, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023, 10:35 Steven Haigh via modperl,
> <modperl@perl.apache.org <mailto:modperl@perl.apache.org>> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 26 2023 at 21:07:17 -0500, Perrin Harkins
>> <pharkins@gmail.com <mailto:pharkins@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>> Maybe you haven't committed some manual change on the server, so it
>>> isn't visible to other connections.
>>
>> I thought about this - but surely, restarting *everything* (db +
>> apache + entire VM) would cause this to fall out.
>>
>> Also, when running the test script manually from the command line,
>> surely that would bring up a new connection and then at least return
>> the new data.
>>
>> Hell, I even went as far as to drop the table and re-create it - yet
>> when querying via DBI - I still (somehow?!) get the old data :|
>
> Are you absolutely certain you are in the same schema? Do you have a
> backup schema hosted on the same server?
>
> I am pretty sure this is some kind of pebcak, but which I can't say.
> (No offense intended.)

Oh $diety.

You know what. I am a moron.

I have announced that to the world.

Your prompt actually got me to check the config of the 'adminer'
frontend I've been using - and low and behold, I've connected to a
slave DB - and not the master.

That means all the changes I made to the data was applying just fine
and dandy - but that wasn't the master DB :)

Ignore me. I'm the fault - and that's half a day I'll never get back
hahahah :)

Sorry for all the noise folks :)
Re: Confusion about SQL results - row counts and contents differ [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 at 03:48, Steven Haigh <netwiz@crc.id.au> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 27 2023 at 10:41:02 +0800, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023, 10:35 Steven Haigh via modperl, <modperl@perl.apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 26 2023 at 21:07:17 -0500, Perrin Harkins <pharkins@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe you haven't committed some manual change on the server, so it isn't visible to other connections.
>>

>> I thought about this - but surely, restarting *everything* (db + apache + entire VM) would cause this to fall out.
>>
>> Also, when running the test script manually from the command line, surely that would bring up a new connection and then at least return the new data.
>>
>> Hell, I even went as far as to drop the table and re-create it - yet when querying via DBI - I still (somehow?!) get the old data :|
>

> Are you absolutely certain you are in the same schema? Do you have a backup schema hosted on the same server?
>
> I am pretty sure this is some kind of pebcak, but which I can't say. (No offense intended.)
>

> Oh $diety.
>
> You know what. I am a moron.
>
> I have announced that to the world.
>
> Your prompt actually got me to check the config of the 'adminer' frontend I've been using - and low and behold, I've connected to a slave DB - and not the master.
>
> That means all the changes I made to the data was applying just fine and dandy - but that wasn't the master DB :)
>
> Ignore me. I'm the fault - and that's half a day I'll never get back hahahah :)
>
> Sorry for all the noise folks :)

No problem. You aren't the first nor the last to do this. I am sure I
have in the past. :-)

It doesn't make you a moron at all. These things happen in a complex
environment. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

cheers,
Yves