Mailing List Archive

Moving away from pure application server tiers
There is an emerging industry trend towards consolidation an integration of webstack technology, and mod_perl + mpm_event is well-positioned to eat everyone else’s lunch in this space. The only real reason fastcgi-like frameworks won out over the past two decades is because threading was/is crap in Dynamic Programming Languages. Nobody could successfully embed into a threaded webserver, so they went around celebrating multi-tiered architectures instead.

As the posted benchmark shows, you don’t need a massive investment in a cluster of horizontally scalable docker containers to service your dynamic content load. Instead, you need to horizontally scale your modestly sized front-end apache servers running mpm_event+mod_perl with a Network (TCP-level) Load Balancer in the front.
Re: Moving away from pure application server tiers [ In reply to ]
I don't preload any Perl Modules at server startup and don't recommend you
do either, if you want new ithread cloning (of the parent) to be quick.
The only legitimate knock on ithreads is the spinup lag, but that is
completely mitigated by mod_perl's ithread pool mgmt, which is exactly the
same (caching) model as prefork when UNIX fork() was slow (1990s).

--
Joe Schaefer, Ph.D.
We only build what you need built.