Mailing List Archive

is mpm_event safe for modperl handler?
Hello

yes i know mpm_prefork is pretty good for modperl applications.
if I run modperl handler (for example, PerlAccessHandler) under
mpm_event, is it safe for a production environment?

thanks.
Re: is mpm_event safe for modperl handler? [ In reply to ]
No and neither is mod_worker. The only mpm you can safely use is prefork.
This is, in my opinion, mod_perl's fatal flaw which will doom it.

--
John Dunlap
*CTO | Lariat *

*Direct:*
*john@lariat.co <john@lariat.co>*

*Customer Service:*
877.268.6667
support@lariat.co
Re: is mpm_event safe for modperl handler? [ In reply to ]
thanks. that does sound sorry.

RE: is mpm_event safe for modperl handler? [EXT] [ In reply to ]
If you want the speed of mod_event for static content and the power of mod_perl for dynamic content - the best way is to run a lightweight mod_event apache in front of a mod_prefork to run the mod_perl....

tbh this is exactly the set up most people use for other heavy backends (mod_fastcgi etc) but you still benefit from the power of mod_perl for your perl

I do this anyway as the mod_event bounces really quickly in comparison to the heavier mod_worker client (especially if you pre-cache a lot of your perl) so can handle "maintenance" events much better... Also all the stuff like SSL etc is handled on the mod_event instance keeping the mod_worker instance clean..

It also allows you to run two apaches on a single box - a "test" and a "live"