How can I get the Makefile.pl to look in /workspace/fakeroot/opt/apache for the 'include/' that it is looking for ?

I had asked in the IRC channel but there was no response so am reaching out here. Not sure if that is active or not.

cheers,

mehul

--
Mehul Sanghvi
mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com
LFC | Form is temporary. Class is permanent | YNWA
Re: Config errors when building mod-perl-2.0.12 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Since there seems to be activity on the mailing list, I’m re-posting the below query, in case it was missed earlier.

cheers,

mehul

Re: Config errors when building mod-perl-2.0.12 [ In reply to ]
On Aug 20, 2022, at 8:54 AM, Mehul Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since there seems to be activity on the mailing list, I’m re-posting the below query, in case it was missed earlier.

I looked at this when you posted it previously, but I couldn't find the cause and neglected to subsequently follow up. (To be clear, I'm just an interested mod_perl user, not an Apache committer.)

What operating system is this on? I don't think you ever said, but maybe I missed it.

It looked like everything worked up until you issued the command:

> perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=${fakeroot_dir}${app_dir} MP_AP_DESTDIR=${DESTDIR} DESTDIR=${DESTDIR}

Is that right?

When I compiled mod_perl 2.0.11 from source, I used this command:

perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/my/path/to/bin/apxs

That worked for me, but I haven't tried to compile mod_perl 2.0.12, tbh. (Haven't seen a reason to upgrade.) However, I reported a possibly related problem with an Apache installation in a non-standard directory when I tested the release candidate of Apache::Test 1.43. At the time I was told my issue would be addressed later, but it hasn't been (yet). And mod_perl 2.0.12 includes Apache::Test 1.43, AFAIK, so I'm not very surprised. I had to hack the source for Apache::Test to get it to work with my Apache httpd installation.

My first suggestion is to determine if your command works with the mod_perl 2.0.11 source. If so, I feel you definitely have found a regression from 2.0.11, and you should file a bug in the issue tracker, please.

Next, I would suggest dropping one or both of the "*DESTDIR" options from your "perl Makefile.PL" command to see if that makes any difference and possibly experiment with "MP_APXS=/path/to/your/bin/apxs" instead of "MP_AP_PREFIX=...". Just some ideas....

Hope this helps,
Ed
Re: Config errors when building mod-perl-2.0.12 [ In reply to ]
Ed,

Thanks for the reply.

> On Aug 21, 2022, at 15:23, Edward J. Sabol <edwardjsabol@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Aug 20, 2022, at 8:54 AM, Mehul Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Since there seems to be activity on the mailing list, I’m re-posting the below query, in case it was missed earlier.
>
> I looked at this when you posted it previously, but I couldn't find the cause and neglected to subsequently follow up. (To be clear, I'm just an interested mod_perl user, not an Apache committer.)
>
> What operating system is this on? I don't think you ever said, but maybe I missed it.

This is on Red Hat 7 and 8.

> It looked like everything worked up until you issued the command:
>
>> perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=${fakeroot_dir}${app_dir} MP_AP_DESTDIR=${DESTDIR} DESTDIR=${DESTDIR}
>
> Is that right?
>
> When I compiled mod_perl 2.0.11 from source, I used this command:
>
> perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/my/path/to/bin/apxs

I can’t use that, as I do not have Apache installed at that point. I am trying to automate an existing manual process.
The idea is to package an Apache with mod_perl, for distribution internally at work.

> That worked for me, but I haven't tried to compile mod_perl 2.0.12, tbh. (Haven't seen a reason to upgrade.) However, I reported a possibly related problem with an Apache installation in a non-standard directory when I tested the release candidate of Apache::Test 1.43. At the time I was told my issue would be addressed later, but it hasn't been (yet). And mod_perl 2.0.12 includes Apache::Test 1.43, AFAIK, so I'm not very surprised. I had to hack the source for Apache::Test to get it to work with my Apache httpd installation.

I might have to do something similar. I’ll try and test with 2.0.11.

> My first suggestion is to determine if your command works with the mod_perl 2.0.11 source. If so, I feel you definitely have found a regression from 2.0.11, and you should file a bug in the issue tracker, please.
>
> Next, I would suggest dropping one or both of the "*DESTDIR" options from your "perl Makefile.PL" command to see if that makes any difference and possibly experiment with "MP_APXS=/path/to/your/bin/apxs" instead of "MP_AP_PREFIX=...". Just some ideas....

I came up with needing to use both as it didn’t look like that MP_AP_DESTDIR was working, but I’ll give that a try again and see.

> Hope this helps,
> Ed

cheers,

mehul