Has anyone considered having a mod_raku version of mod_perl?

Merry Christmas to all.

-Tom
Re: Raku [ In reply to ]
Raku has its own WSGI httpserver?

Re: Raku [ In reply to ]
On 22.12.2021 13:19, Wes Peng wrote:
> Raku has its own WSGI httpserver?

Yes, as there are several similar things for Apache/perl (such as Plack/PSGI).

But these frameworks only do *partially* what mod_perl allows one to do.

An essential part of mod_perl (and something for which I believe there is no equivalent in
*any* language), is the ability to insert itself deeply into Apache httpd, and controlling
what happens inside httpd at virtually any stage of an HTTP request processing.

This page : https://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html
contains a diagram of all the "phases" which a HTTP request goes through in Apache httpd.
WSGI/PSGI Frameworks give you access to what happens in the bottom "response" block.
mod_perl gives you access to what happens in *all* the blocks.

For many developers, being able to act at the Response stage is enough, and in such a
case, they will be happy with what a WSGI/PSGI/proxy solution provides.

However, if you want to do deeper things within Apache httpd (such as for instance create
your own authentication/authorization mechanism, or creating your own input/output
filters), and you want to do that using perl as a language, then mod_perl is your thing.

Re: Raku [ In reply to ]
"An essential part of mod_perl (and something for which I believe there is
no equivalent in
*any* language), is the ability to insert itself deeply into Apache httpd,
and controlling
what happens inside httpd at virtually any stage of an HTTP request
processing."

Like this?
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_lua.html

--
John Dunlap
*CTO | Lariat *

*Direct:*
*john@lariat.co <john@lariat.co>*

*Customer Service:*
877.268.6667
support@lariat.co
Re: Raku [ In reply to ]
On 22.12.2021 15:38, John Dunlap wrote:
> "An essential part of mod_perl (and something for which I believe there is
> no equivalent in
> *any* language), is the ability to insert itself deeply into Apache httpd,
> and controlling
> what happens inside httpd at virtually any stage of an HTTP request
> processing."
>
> Like this?
> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_lua.html

Ok, I stand corrected. So, perl or lua (or C of course; I should have limited my statement
to "interpreted languages").
I don't know lua, but it sounds worth investigating.

Now, the second-level reason why we are using mod_perl is of course perl itself, and the
very rich CPAN add-on module library which goes with it, and which of course you can
/combine/ with mod_perl to do interesting things.
Does lua have anything similar ? (not immediately evident as per the lua website)

Note : since this is a mod_perl list, and since I presume we'd all be happier if there was
more consciousness and more usage of mod_perl, how come mod_lua has its own dedicated page
*within* the Apache httpd documentation, but mod_perl does not ?
(There could at least be a stub leading to https://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/index.html)