Any clues about how this can be done? I've searched high and low and
found nothing. I will also want to know what mechanisms are available
to coordinate access to that shared data, such as locks or semaphores.

I also posted this message to StackOverflow, but got no response so far:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68901260/how-to-share-read-write-data-in-mod-perl-apache2

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
David Booth
Re: Sharing read/WRITE data between threads? [ In reply to ]
I've shared read-only data across threads many times a cheap and easy
caching mechanims, but as I'm sure you've found in your research, the
"copy-on-write" methodology employed by mod_perl prevents you from doing
that for mutable data and I'm not aware of a way around that without
fundamental changes to mod_perl itself.

There are some very good reasons that mod_perl is architected that way.
You may very well have a specific use case that makes sharing mutable
data in memory for a threaded application desirable, but I know that
oftentimes when I've  tried to find ways to workaround a fundamental
architectural element in a toolset, the best solution for me has
ultimately been to rethink my approach rather than to wrestle the
toolset into submission.

In short, and although this isn't what you asked and I know next to
nothing about your project, constraints or requirements... it sounds
like you might want to consider a cache server
(Redis/Varnish/Elasticache/etc...) and then solve the problem and
proactively notify subscribed threads of changes if you need to.

Re: Sharing read/WRITE data between threads? [ In reply to ]
Or you can also consider using IPC::Shareable
<https://metacpan.org/pod/IPC::Shareable> if your system supports IPC.

Jacques Deguest

RE: Sharing read/WRITE data between threads? [EXT] [ In reply to ]
The other problem with sharing writable data in "memory" is that it would not necessarily shared between multiple server instances. We run multiple mod_perl instances for reliability. Agree with other posters either use something like redis or memcache (possibly backed with a database).