Mailing List Archive

Re: Roll call: What cool, high-traffic websites are using Embperl?
I used to use html and embperl for my former site, www.singlespeedsanonymous.com, which was pretty big for a while. I was the second person on the net to have a singlespeed mt. biking website and it was quite popular, if I may brag just a little. Over time I found less time to work on it and the local ISP that hosted it (and I used to work for) finally when out of business. Since then I lost my domain because I didn't renew it in time, so I bought singlespeedsanonymous.org and have been hosting it at iPower, using (BLECK!) PHP. I finally got tired of iPower's crappier than crap hosting and switched to HostMonster, just yesterday. Too bad they don't have embperl, but who does?

I hand coded my own guestbook, forum, mailer and other things back then. Now, I'm trying to resurrect SingleSpeeds Anonymous using a PHP CMS. Currently I'm using CMS Made Simple, but I may switch to Drupal. I've had a lot of experience with various CMS's as I'm looking to implement one here at work. Speaking of work, it's nice that I administer my own servers because I can install embperl on any one of them. :D I've found that even after coding in PHP for years, I STILL felt more comfortable with embperl!

Okay, little off topic now and I'll break off and make a new thread if appropriate: Does anyone know of any open source embperl apps? I vaguely remember a thread similar to this a while back. I'll have to look through the archives. Maybe I should start the first embperl CMS? :)

Heh heh. Instead of LAMP apps, (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP for those of you who are scratch'n yer head) we should all form an open source developer group and make LAME apps! ;)

Surprised more people didn't reply to this thread, Neil.

- Gavin

>>> Neil Gunton <neil@nilspace.com> 08/02/08 8:55 PM >>>
I've been using Embperl since 2000 to run www.crazyguyonabike.com. This
started off as a single journal of my bicycle tour across America in
1998. I wrote it using Embperl, and developed it so other people could
also put their journals up. Over the years I've added forums,
classifieds, resources etc, and now it is one of the biggest bicycle
touring websites in the world (I think). It current has more than 2,600
journals, and over 280,000 pictures, and gets something around 100,000
page requests per day. I do this using one Debian server with MySQL, and
a two level custom built Apache setup (front end caching reverse proxy,
back end mod_perl) which allows me to withstand click floods and
slashdottings without breaking a sweat. I'm quite proud of the way the
site has developed over the years, and I'm also glad to have used
Embperl to do it - this has made my code easy to manage and develop,
especially Embperl::Object.

Now I am expanding the site, using the same code as a template for
www.topicwise.com, which will have dozens or possibly hundreds of
subsites dedicated to all kinds of different subjects, along the same
lines as crazyguyonabike. They all share a common user directory. Also,
www.townwise.com will have the same template, for cities (think
craigslist). So this is my little plan for world domination. You can see
more at www.neilgunton.com, which is also implemented using the
crazyguyonabike code.

That's what I've been doing; what have other people done? Why not let's
have a roll call of cool sites that have been implemented using Embperl.
What has been done? Tell us! Might be a good way to get this list more
lively.

Thanks!

Neil

Re: Roll call: What cool, high-traffic websites are using Embperl? [ In reply to ]
Hello boys and girls,

none of my websites are cool and high-traffic, but most of them are
embperl (except those you don't need any dynamic stuff and are simply
hand written static html).

The only publicly available one is our website http://llg.cubic.org/
which hosts all of the unix software we've released so far.
Then I have written my own link, calendar and address management web
application. I have also written an application to write invoices and
manage inventories of customers. And after that I wrote a simple web
application for document management (uploading files, revisions, etc).
Now shame on me, all of those still run on Embperl 1.3.6, since they
started when 1.3 was still hot and I haven't invested any effort yet to
translate them to new Embperl releases.

If we want to promote usage of Embperl more, maybe we should try to add
those (stupid) buttons to our webpages "Made with Embperl" featuring a
cute camel, link to the Embperl site etc. Since I don't have any
artistic skills I won't make a first design, but maybe someone on this
list can paint such a thing.

PS: However now (at least for me) Embperl is facing a tough competitor.
For my current job I've written an simple webserver to server status
pages for our server process. Since the server is written in C++, we
wanted a convinient way to generate webpages from within our C++ world.
Since all existing embeddable web servers either used a multi-process
model or multi-threaded model which we don't like (we believe in
select()) I just wrote our own: EmbCPP. Now I just have to convince the
boss to release this thing into the wild someday...

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann
----> http://cubic.org/~doj