Mailing List Archive

New to Embperl. How do I work with a large convoluted file?
Hi,

I need to work on several files that are probably 10+ years old. Apart from minor changes, they haven't been touched for the past 6 years. The dev is no longer with the company.

I'm making a non-trivial change and could do with advice on how best to interpret the code.

The file I'm interested in a file that contains 4700 lines of HTML, embedded Perl, CSS and JavaScript. What is the best way to deconstruct this file with a view to understanding how everything hangs together?

Cheers
Chris
Re: New to Embperl. How do I work with a large convoluted file? [ In reply to ]
It is very straight forward if you understand Perl HTML and Javascript

there is nothing to deconstruct.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

Re: New to Embperl. How do I work with a large convoluted file? [ In reply to ]
A multi-modal editor that does syntax highlighting for all the different
languages would be really helpful, but I've never found one that works with
everything that's in your file. I use Notepad++ in HTML mode and it at
least does a pretty good job of matching brackets so you can follow the
control flow.

If it's not already consistently indented and formatted, I take the time to
do that. That helps unearth the logic and flow.

Good luck!

Re: New to Embperl. How do I work with a large convoluted file? [ In reply to ]
Its been a long time but I used to get some useful results with mmm-mode in
emacs.

--

Michael Stevens
Senior Developer ?? Dianomi

--
This e-mail is for the sole use of the intended recipient and contains
information that may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not an
Re: New to Embperl. How do I work with a large convoluted file? [ In reply to ]
Thank you to everyone for your support.

Late last week I decided to look at the source of several loaded pages. I diff'd a couple of the pages and mapped those diffs back to the embperl. This gave me a better idea of where I needed to focus my attention.

I spent most of last weekend working on my changes. I think the task is completed.

I think it's fair to say I managed to get inside the head of the original developer and it ain't pretty ????. I eventually realised an anomaly in a code generated table was due a bug in the code and that a snippet I'd ignored was the work around.

Thanks again to everyone.

Cheers
Chris