Mailing List Archive

handling query strings with ? in
Hi.

We're trying to handle some odd query strings in embperl, eg:

http://www.example.com/mjs/q.epl?a=b?c=d

embperl parses this as:

Using %fdat FieldValuea b?cd

CGI.pm parses this as:

Using CGI.pm FieldValueab?c=d

I agree that these are some pretty bizarre queries, but annoyingly we can't
change the source, and embperl seems to handle them pretty badly. Googling
suggests ? in a query string is probably valid, eg:

http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201008/what_characters_are_allowed_unencoded_in_query_strings/

Is there anything that can be done to make embperl behave more as expected?

--
Michael Stevens
Dianomi Ltd

Tel: 020 3463 5662
Fax: 020 7630 7356
www.dianomi.com

The information in this message and any attachment is intended for the
addressee and is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.
Dianomi Ltd, Registered Office: One America Square, Crosswall, London. EC3N
2SG. Registered in England and Wales with Company Registration Number
4513809. VAT registration number: 809754988
Re: handling query strings with ? in [ In reply to ]
That url *should* be

http://www.example.com/mjs/q.epl?a=b&c=d

Yeah, ? is valid in the query string, but only the first one is special. &
is supposed to separate field value pairs after the first ? starts them.

If you can't change the code that generates the URL, that is... sad. I
wouldn't expect others to support that, but CGI.pm is open source; it
should be possible to change its code so that it recognizes both & and ?
as separators - that way if your vendor ever fixes their, um, stuff, your
code will still work. Note that you can put your copy of CGI.pm in
site_perl or your own directory; if that directory is listed in PERL5LIB,
it will be checked before the core directory. (Personally, when I compile
perl, I reorder the includes so site libs are tried first - after all,
that's where we're most likely to update things first. Vendors take an
age to update stuff, and core takes ages.)

--
Ed Grimm
Identity Services

AW: handling query strings with ? in [ In reply to ]
> Is there anything that can be done to make embperl behave more as expected?

What is what you would expect? I think the way CGI.pm is correct regarding the specs. Is that what you would expect?

Gerald

We're trying to handle some odd query strings in embperl, eg:

http://www.example.com/mjs/q.epl?a=b?c=d <http://www.example.com/mjs/q.epl?a=b?c=d>

http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201008/what_characters_are_allowed_unencoded_in_query_strings/ <http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201008/what_characters_are_allowed_unencoded_in_query_strings/>

www.dianomi.com <http://www.dianomi.com>

Re: handling query strings with ? in [ In reply to ]
Yes, I think the CGI.pm behaviour is good, and would like it if Embperl was
the same.

AW: handling query strings with ? in [ In reply to ]
Ok, I try to fix it during the next days

Gerald

AW: handling query strings with ? in [ In reply to ]
Hi Michael,

the following patch should fix your problem:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/perl/embperl/trunk/epinit.c?r1=1382642&r2=1481318 <http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/perl/embperl/trunk/epinit.c?r1=1382642&amp;r2=1481318>

Regards

Gerald

---

Tel. +49 (6133) 939 122

Re: handling query strings with ? in [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I tried to apply the patch to Embperl 2.5.0_4, but I got the following
error when building:

epinit.c: In function ‘embperl_GetFormData’:
epinit.c:1029: error: ‘false’ undeclared (first use in this function)
epinit.c:1029: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
epinit.c:1029: error: for each function it appears in.)
epinit.c:1165: error: ‘true’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make: *** [epinit.o] Error 1

AW: handling query strings with ? in [ In reply to ]
Ok, just replace false with 0 and true with 1, then it should work (sorry I used a newer compiler)

Gerald

Re: handling query strings with ? in [ In reply to ]
Thanks, that builds. We will test.