patch used in Debian (as referenced in the Debian bug) simply removes
both uses of -m32; but then Debian doesn't compile Perl as a 32bit
application on 64 bit architectures. Perhaps everybody would be happy if
something like $Config{archname} =~ /x86_64/ was checked in addition to
$Config{ptrsize} == 4 for $perl32bit to be set? (but note that in
addition to i386/amd64, also sparc and powerpc architectures support
-m32...)

Florian

RE: build failures on arm, mips: -m32 not available [ In reply to ]
Do you know the exact $Config{archname} for sparc and powerpc, then I will only enable this for these architectures

Gerald

Re: build failures on arm, mips: -m32 not available [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 03:24:52PM +0200, richter@ecos.de wrote:
> Do you know the exact $Config{archname} for sparc and powerpc, then I will only enable this for these architectures

in Debian these values are:

sparc: sparc-linux-gnu-thread-multi-64int
powerpc: powerpc-linux-gnu-thread-multi-64int

There was a suggestion in #debian-perl to inspect $Config{ccflags} for
-m32 and use it only if present, or use $Config{ccflags} directly, but I
don't really know enough about these things or why Embperl does things
the way it does to really have an opinion on this.

Florian

RE: build failures on arm, mips: -m32 not available [ In reply to ]
The reason for the -m32 was, that I have upgraded my test system to 64Bit, but still wanted to test old Perls that were compiled at the time it was a 32Bit system. Maybe this is only an issue for me because of the upgrade from 32 to 64 Bit and will never occur on a 64 Bit system, were you compiled a 32 Bit Perl, because it already has the -m32 flag.

I will check which is the best solution to this issue during the week

Gerald

RE: build failures on arm, mips: -m32 not available [ In reply to ]
Hi Florian,

please check if http://www.embperl.org/downloads/Embperl-2.5.0_3.tar.gz fixes the issue

Gerald

Re: build failures on arm, mips: -m32 not available [ In reply to ]
Hi Gerald,

> please check if http://www.embperl.org/downloads/Embperl-2.5.0_3.tar.gz fixes the issue

sorry for taking so long to respond - I removed our proposed patch and
instead updated to Embperl 2.5.0_3, which built just as well on all
architectures including sparc and powerpc. So yes, RC3 fixes the issue!

Florian

RE: build failures on arm, mips: -m32 not available [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the feedback.

I will soon release it as 2.5.0 final.

Regards

Gerald