Mailing List Archive

ANNOUNCE: Embperl-2.5.0_2
I have just uploaded a release candiate of Embperl 2.5.0. For me it works well with Perl 5.14 and Perl 5.16 and fixes the known problems.

Please test and let me know if there are any issues.

You can download it from http://www.embperl.org/downloads/Embperl-2.5.0_2.tar.gz

Gerald

Changes since 2.4.0:

- Do not clear old code before compiling a Embperl page
in Perl >= 5.14.x because it causes seg faults. This
leads to "subroutine redifined" warings, when a
page was changed and is reloaded.

- Corrected use of G_KEEPERR when calling eval, because
of changed meaning, which cause the message "Compiling
error" instead of the real error message.

- Adapted tests to Perl 5.14 & 5.16

- Fixed a refcounting problem cause message "Attempt to
free unreferenced scalar" during mod_perl startup
with Perl 5.14.x

- Fix output inside of Registry script for mod_perl 2.0.4+

- Fix problem with error output on stderr for Windows 64Bit

- removed support for XALAN XML parser. It was outdated
anyway. libxml2 is still supported.

- Fixed a C type declaration which caused RTF files to not
correctly escaped with newer GCC's.

- Embperl::Form is totally overhauled with many new features.
It uses now jQuery as javascript library, instead
of prototype. NOTE: This is an incompatible change. If
you are using Embperl::Form before, you need to
adapt your html code!

- Fix some Unicode issues in Embperl::Form::Validate

- Embperl::Form::Validate is now able to highlight input
fields with wrong input

- Applied the following debian patches: delay.patch,
fix-string-typo.patch, fix-pod-errors.patch, fix-whatis.patch,
new_process_group.patch, fix-pod-unescaped-unicode.patch,
german.patch and utf8.patch which mainly corrects
spelling and typo errors. NOTE: modperl.patch and
Makefile.PL.patch are not applied, because they are
debian specific. Thanks to Florian Schlichting for
providing uptodate information about the patches
and adaptions for Embperl 2.5.

- Applied further spell corrections from Florian Schlichting.

- Log Errors form Embperl::Syntax::Mail to error log

Re: ANNOUNCE: Embperl-2.5.0_2 [ In reply to ]
Hi Gerald, testing your new 2.5.0_2 on Debian Wheezy AMD64, with stock
perl 5.14.2, Apache 2.2.22.

First of all, during perl Makefile.PL, it asks for the path to start as
httpd. It is able to pick up the fact that it is in
/usr/local/httpd_perl, which is correct, but I always have to enter the
whole thing because my binary is not called 'httpd', but rather
'httpd_perl' (I have another build on the same machine for the front end
caching reverse proxy, and that is named httpd_proxy). Would it be
easy/possible to have your make script pick up the actual httpd_perl
binary name that I built my mod_perl apache with, rather than assuming
httpd? Minor issue, but just thought I'd ask.

Second, it makes it all the way through to the 'make test', but fails
here - last few lines below.

Thanks!

Neil

make test output follows:

Performing httpd syntax check 1 ... ok

Performing httpd syntax check 2 ... ok

Starting httpd... pid = 10790 ok

Testing mod_perl mode...

#0 ascii...

[-1]Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x19e21f0, Perl interpreter:
0x177de20 during global destruction.
[-2]Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x19e1f68, Perl interpreter:
0x177de20 during global destruction.
[-3]Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x19e2208, Perl interpreter:
0x177de20 during global destruction.
[-4]Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x19e94c8, Perl interpreter:
0x177de20 during global destruction.
[-5]Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x179e948, Perl interpreter:
0x177de20 during global destruction.

Input: test/html/ascii
Output: test/tmp/out.htm
Log: test/tmp/test.log

ERRORS detected! NOT all tests have been passed successfully

make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 1
root@dev:/usr/src/Embperl-2.5.0_2#

RE: ANNOUNCE: Embperl-2.5.0_2 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

which version of mod_perl do you use?

Are you able to upgrade it? I had a similar issue with mod_perl 2.0.4

Gerald

P.S. Httpd binary. You need to figure out if the httpd binary is stored in Apache:::BuildConfig, than we can use it inside Makefile.PL

Re: ANNOUNCE: Embperl-2.5.0_2 [ In reply to ]
richter@ecos.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> which version of mod_perl do you use?
>
> Are you able to upgrade it? I had a similar issue with mod_perl 2.0.4

Server reports Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) Embperl/2.5.0_1 mod_ssl/2.2.22
OpenSSL/1.0.1c mod_perl/2.0.5 Perl/v5.14.2

> P.S. Httpd binary. You need to figure out if the httpd binary is stored in Apache:::BuildConfig, than we can use it inside Makefile.PL

Sorry, but I've never used Apache::BuildConfig. Any tips on how you do that?

Thanks,

Neil

Re: ANNOUNCE: Embperl-2.5.0_2 [ In reply to ]
I installed mod_perl 2.0.7 and the Embperl tests seem to make without
error now. So 2.0.5 seemed to have a problem, but whatever it was is
fixed now in 2.0.7 apparently.

Still not sure what to do with Apache::BuildConfig, any hints on what to
do there?

Thanks,

Neil

Re: ANNOUNCE: Embperl-2.5.0_2 [ In reply to ]
richter@ecos.de wrote:
> P.S. Httpd binary. You need to figure out if the httpd binary is stored in Apache:::BuildConfig, than we can use it inside Makefile.PL

Ok, I eventually found it - actually it's Apache2::Config. I wrote this
little script to get everything:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use Apache2::BuildConfig;
my $config = Apache2::BuildConfig->new;
while (my ($key, $value) = each %$config)
{
print "$key => $value\n";
}
1;

... and the output was as follows:

APXS_EXTRA_CPPFLAGS => -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE
MP_USE_DSO => 1
APXS_INCLUDEDIR => /usr/local/httpd_perl/include
cwd => /usr/src/mod_perl
MODPERL_CPPRUN => cc -E
MP_GENERATE_XS => 1
MODPERL_RANLIB => :
libpth => ARRAY(0x1461198)
MODPERL_LIB_DSO => mod_perl.so
APXS_BINDIR => /usr/local/httpd_perl/bin
MODPERL_PRIVLIBEXP => /usr/share/perl/5.14
MODPERL_LIB_STATIC => mod_perl.a
MODPERL_MAKEFILE => Makefile
MODPERL_LDDLFLAGS => -shared -L/usr/local/lib -fstack-protector
MODPERL_CCOPTS => -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBIAN -fstack-protector
-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/lib/perl/5.14/CORE -DMOD_PERL -DMP_COMPAT_1X
MODPERL_INC => -I/usr/src/mod_perl/src/modules/perl
-I/usr/src/mod_perl/xs -I/usr/local/httpd_proxy/include
-I/usr/local/httpd_proxy/include -I/usr/local/httpd_perl/include
XS => HASH(0x1443998)
MODPERL_LIBNAME => mod_perl
apr_config_path => /usr/local/httpd_proxy/bin/apr-1-config
MODPERL_LIB_EXT => .a
MP_APR_LIB => aprext
MODPERL_TEST_F => test -f
Use of uninitialized value $value in concatenation (.) or string at
/home/neil/bin/test.pl line 10.
dir =>
MODPERL_MV => mv
MODPERL_LDOPTS => -Wl,-E -fstack-protector -L/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/lib/perl/5.14/CORE -lperl -ldl -lm -lpthread -lc -lcrypt
file_makefile => src/modules/perl/Makefile
MODPERL_PERLPATH => /usr/bin/perl
MODPERL_CC => cc
MODPERL_CCCDLFLAGS => -fPIC
MODPERL_AP_LIBEXECDIR => /usr/local/httpd_perl/modules
APXS_NOTEST_CPPFLAGS =>
APXS_APR_BINDIR => /usr/local/httpd_proxy/bin
APXS_EXTRA_CFLAGS => -g -O2 -pthread
MODPERL_AR => ar
MODPERL_OBJ_EXT => .o
ap_includedir => /usr/local/httpd_perl/include
MODPERL_O_FILES => mod_perl.o modperl_interp.o modperl_tipool.o
modperl_log.o modperl_config.o modperl_cmd.o modperl_options.o
modperl_callback.o modperl_handler.o modperl_gtop.o modperl_util.o
modperl_io.o modperl_io_apache.o modperl_filter.o modperl_bucket.o
modperl_mgv.o modperl_pcw.o modperl_global.o modperl_env.o modperl_cgi.o
modperl_perl.o modperl_perl_global.o modperl_perl_pp.o modperl_sys.o
modperl_module.o modperl_svptr_table.o modperl_const.o
modperl_constants.o modperl_apache_compat.o modperl_error.o
modperl_debug.o modperl_common_util.o modperl_common_log.o
modperl_hooks.o modperl_directives.o modperl_flags.o modperl_xsinit.o
modperl_exports.o
MODPERL_O_PIC_FILES => mod_perl.lo modperl_interp.lo modperl_tipool.lo
modperl_log.lo modperl_config.lo modperl_cmd.lo modperl_options.lo
modperl_callback.lo modperl_handler.lo modperl_gtop.lo modperl_util.lo
modperl_io.lo modperl_io_apache.lo modperl_filter.lo modperl_bucket.lo
modperl_mgv.lo modperl_pcw.lo modperl_global.lo modperl_env.lo
modperl_cgi.lo modperl_perl.lo modperl_perl_global.lo modperl_perl_pp.lo
modperl_sys.lo modperl_module.lo modperl_svptr_table.lo modperl_const.lo
modperl_constants.lo modperl_apache_compat.lo modperl_error.lo
modperl_debug.lo modperl_common_util.lo modperl_common_log.lo
modperl_hooks.lo modperl_directives.lo modperl_flags.lo
modperl_xsinit.lo modperl_exports.lo
MP_APXS => /usr/local/httpd_perl/bin/apxs
MODPERL_AP_INCLUDEDIR => /usr/local/httpd_perl/include
apr_bindir => /usr/local/httpd_proxy/bin
MODPERL_RM => rm
file_ldopts => src/modules/perl/ldopts
APXS_APU_BINDIR => /usr/local/httpd_proxy/bin
MODPERL_ARCHLIBEXP => /usr/lib/perl/5.14
MODPERL_XSUBPP => $(MODPERL_PERLPATH)
$(MODPERL_PRIVLIBEXP)/ExtUtils/xsubpp -typemap
$(MODPERL_PRIVLIBEXP)/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap
/usr/src/mod_perl/lib/typemap
MODPERL_RM_F => rm -f
file_build_config => lib/Apache2/BuildConfig.pm
httpd_version => HASH(0x14610c0)
MP_COMPAT_1X => 1
apr_config => HASH(0x1460f88)
MODPERL_C_FILES => mod_perl.c modperl_interp.c modperl_tipool.c
modperl_log.c modperl_config.c modperl_cmd.c modperl_options.c
modperl_callback.c modperl_handler.c modperl_gtop.c modperl_util.c
modperl_io.c modperl_io_apache.c modperl_filter.c modperl_bucket.c
modperl_mgv.c modperl_pcw.c modperl_global.c modperl_env.c modperl_cgi.c
modperl_perl.c modperl_perl_global.c modperl_perl_pp.c modperl_sys.c
modperl_module.c modperl_svptr_table.c modperl_const.c
modperl_constants.c modperl_apache_compat.c modperl_error.c
modperl_debug.c modperl_common_util.c modperl_common_log.c
modperl_hooks.c modperl_directives.c modperl_flags.c modperl_xsinit.c
modperl_exports.c
MP_LIBNAME => mod_perl
apu_config_path => /usr/local/httpd_proxy/bin/apu-1-config
MODPERL_H_FILES => mod_perl.h modperl_interp.h modperl_tipool.h
modperl_log.h modperl_config.h modperl_cmd.h modperl_options.h
modperl_callback.h modperl_handler.h modperl_gtop.h modperl_util.h
modperl_io.h modperl_io_apache.h modperl_filter.h modperl_bucket.h
modperl_mgv.h modperl_pcw.h modperl_global.h modperl_env.h modperl_cgi.h
modperl_perl.h modperl_perl_global.h modperl_perl_pp.h modperl_sys.h
modperl_module.h modperl_svptr_table.h modperl_const.h
modperl_constants.h modperl_apache_compat.h modperl_error.h
modperl_debug.h modperl_common_util.h modperl_common_log.h
modperl_perl_unembed.h modperl_types.h modperl_time.h
modperl_apache_includes.h modperl_perl_includes.h modperl_apr_includes.h
modperl_apr_compat.h modperl_common_includes.h modperl_common_types.h
modperl_hooks.h modperl_directives.h modperl_flags.h modperl_trace.h
modperl_largefiles.h
MODPERL_CP => cp
MODPERL_LIB_SHARED => mod_perl.so
apr_includedir => /usr/local/httpd_proxy/include
MODPERL_DLEXT => so
httpd_is_source_tree =>
MP_USE_STATIC => 0
MODPERL_OPTIMIZE => -O2 -g
MODPERL_LIB => mod_perl.so
MODPERL_AP_LIBS =>
API_VERSION => 2
MODPERL_LD => cc
APXS_LIBEXECDIR => /usr/local/httpd_perl/modules
VERSION => 2.0.7

... and I don't see anything in there saying what the Apache binary
executable is called (for me it's in
/usr/local/httpd_perl/bin/httpd_perl). So I guess that means it wouldn't
be possible for your make script to pick it up, if this is its only
source of information about the installation. No worries, it was just a
thought, if it ain't there then it ain't there.

Thanks,

Neil

RE: ANNOUNCE: Embperl-2.5.0_2 [ In reply to ]

> Ok, I eventually found it - actually it's Apache2::Config. I wrote this
> little script to get everything:
>
> ... and I don't see anything in there saying what the Apache binary
> executable is called (for me it's in
> /usr/local/httpd_perl/bin/httpd_perl). So I guess that means it wouldn't
> be possible for your make script to pick it up, if this is its only
> source of information about the installation. No worries, it was just a
> thought, if it ain't there then it ain't there.

Yes, if it is not saved here, than I don't think we have a possibility to set it automatically

Gerald