Mailing List Archive

Status of Embperl?
Hi,

i try to reactivate an old project, which relies heavily on Embperl. But
i run in to some problems.

- Which is the actual version?

CPAN: http://search.cpan.org/dist/Embperl/ -> gives 2.4.0
Homepage News: http://perl.apache.org/embperl/ -> gives 2.2.0 from 2006
Homepage Download: ftp://ftp.dev.ecos.de/pub/perl/embperl -> does not work
Mailinglist-archive: -> discusses 2.5.x, but i cant find it anywhere.

- Is Embperl stil compatible with actual perl versions? See
http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=Embperl+2.4.0

- Embperl is deleted from Debian testing (Wheezy, 7.0) and Ubuntu 12.04.
Is there any hope that it will get back in Wheezy? I saw some discussion
here about this issue, but could not figure out, if there is any hope.

- In general: Is emperl still a living project or should i consider
porting my project to some alternative? I liked embperl very much, would
be sad to see it dying.

Thanks for any help.

Greatings, Benni
--
http://bennibaermann.de/

Re: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
Hi Benni,

I am still using Embperl in my ongoing project, which is a bicycle
touring journals website with forums, classifieds etc. Actually I think
it's the biggest bicycle touring website out there. I have over 7,000
journals by people from all over the world, and we recently passed a
million photos. I've been using Embperl since 2000, and it continues to
work very well. I build from source, currently using Debian Wheezy on my
dev workstation and Squeeze on the production server. There are some
issues with Perl 5.14 on Wheezy, just related to error reporting
(sometimes I don't get any line number, just 'compiler error'). I have
raised this on the list here but it just petered out with no solution.

I am not sure what Gerald sees for Embperl these days, the world at
large appears to have largely moved on (from Perl/mod_perl, too) but I
still really like it. It's weird seeing something that just works really
well get kind of passed over, kind of sad really. If I "make it big"
with my project then I intend to throw some financial support Gerald's
way, but that is still in the future (just getting by myself at the moment).

So this is just me saying that I'm still here! I hope Embperl carries on
for the foreseeable future, I have a large amount of development time
invested in it at this point (over 10 years worth) and it would be a
huge hassle to switch to something else.

Neil

Re: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Sep 02, 2012 at 08:44:05AM +0200, Benni Bärmann wrote:

> - Embperl is deleted from Debian testing (Wheezy, 7.0) and Ubuntu
> 12.04. Is there any hope that it will get back in Wheezy? I saw some
> discussion here about this issue, but could not figure out, if there
> is any hope.

The main reason for this is, as far as I can remember, that there is
no released version which works with current mod_perl. I can't remember
if there are also issues with perl 5.14 also.

The Debian bug report is

Note that this bug meant it was not possible to build the package against
perl 5.14, which is why I worked on it (I was responsible for the perl
5.12 and perl 5.14 migrations in Debian), but I don't use embperl myself.

Unfortunately I think we're too late to get embperl back into wheezy
even if there was someone around who had the time and expertise. If a
release which works with current mod_perl and perl comes out, it can
be subsequently added to unstable and then added to wheezy-backports
after release, though.

RE: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Embperl is still alive :-), also it's moving slowly :-(

The version in the svn and the dev snapshot 2.5.0_1 (which can be found at http://www.embperl.org/downloads/ ) solves the debian problem.

There are some problems left with mod_perl and perl 5.14 and 5.16 .

There is a solution for the "compile error" problem in the current svn version (but this causes some warnings when a page is changed and recompiled).

Please use Version 2.5.0_1 or the source from the svn if you run Perl 5.14 or 5.16 .

The good news is that I currently working on a payed project which includes fixing Embperl for Perl 5.14 & 5.16, so hopefully there will be a new release in a few weeks, which solves all these problems.

Gerald

Re: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
Le 03/09/2012 09:22, richter@ecos.de a écrit :
> The good news is that I currently working on a payed project which
> includes fixing Embperl for Perl 5.14 & 5.16, so hopefully there will
> be a new release in a few weeks, which solves all these problems.

Great news, be strong !

--
Jean-Christophe Boggio -o)
embperl@thefreecat.org /\\

Re: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
> The good news is that I currently working on a payed project which
includes fixing Embperl for Perl 5.14 & 5.16, so hopefully there will be a
new release in a few weeks, which solves all these problems.

That is actually very exciting news. I'd like to thank Gerald Richter for
his work and how available he is for all of us. I've never had a support
email go unanswered, so Gerald and the community around Embperl are
definitely at the heart of its success.

About Embperl being alive or not: My job is to maintain a tourism-related
system that is now about 15 years old.

As most Perl apps, it all started with a simple CGI .pl script which grew
and was divided into modules and became a whole app with time. In 2005 the
front end of the system was migrated to Embperl and we're still using it to
this day. In 2006 we migrated 90% of our PHP code into Embperl and Perl
modules. We're still unable to get rid of the PHP module in Apache, because
some of our users publish Wordpress blogs.

We feel that there are pros and cons in our deployment.

Pros: Embperl is extremely stable, well implemented and has been debugged
for years. We simply deploy and forget about it. The Embperl templating
system is well thought out, there is no strange crosstalk between tags,
there are no unexpected behaviors and dependency conflicts in between
Embperl sections even though some run at different times(no "magical" and
difficult to debug collateral effects, etc). When I did parallel
programming projects which used JSP or ASP, I immediately felt the
diffculty introduced by the excessive complication and bloat in those
technologies. Embperl is very Perl-ish, it makes easy things easy, hard
things possible.

When our app grew and a whole host of features were added such as a
DBIx::Class ORM backend(which in turn pulls in hundreds of modules) we had
absolutely zero problems with Embperl, it simply does not mess with the
rest of Apache and does not introduce any module incompatibilities to the
rest of our app. Apart from the infamous CGI.pm change in namespace which
broke our upload forms, we've never had an issue with the thousands of
modules running in the background at any given moment. This may seem
"obvious" but it's not, it is in fact quite improbable that with so many
dependencies to our app, that it actually runs so smoothly.

Cons/Ideas:

*Book*
Embperl could really use a book. There should be a "Camel book" for Embperl
IMHO, nowadays it could be an eBook, I'm sure the community would buy it.

*Config*
The configuration directives currently have two versions, the environment
version and the Apache instruction, that was a source of confusion for our
team at some point. I think these days that could be unified into one
standard configuration system. One global config on a embperl.ini file and
a per-application config in a specific location would solve it, getting rid
of %ENV.

*Perl JAR*
Perl does not have a JAR-like packaging system, so deployments are always
tough, we can't just deploy a package that is then automatically started as
an application on the server. Right now we're using Amazon AMI's for this
job, we basically package a whole server as the application, to avoid 2
hours running CPAN compilations before a server can go up.

This, of course, is a Perl issue not Embperl, but if you're considering
Embperl for a project, you probably should consider this fact.

Another Con is, Embperl is very low level in order to achieve speed. This
couples it to the OS and to Perl very tightly, thus we get these issues
mentioned on this thread now and then, compilation is straight down to
platform-dependent binaries. A Embperl installation in our development
servers does not run on our production servers.

With the price of hardware being ridiculous these days, maybe it'd be a
good idea to abstract more of Embperl into pure Perl instead of C, we may
lose some efficiency but then again nowadays we're more concerned with
parallelism and being able to scale sideways.

Scaling horizontally is very difficult with Embperl. Unless you package a
whole server as the application, every new machine added to a pool will
have to run CPAN and update hundreds of modules, which may take hours.

So the main con against Embperl is not actually an Embperl issue: Perl
urgently needs an application packaging system like Java already has had
for 17 years. Upload a binary and the app is deployed, that's how simple it
should be in 2012. Nobody deserves to sit there and watch GCC compilation
messages scroll by in this time and age, IMHO. You can afford it as a
single developer, but when using Embperl for tens of deployments that is
simply undoable.

Aside from that, Embperl has survived this mess of "Web 2.0" booms and
busts for us. Our REST web services are implemented in Embperl, with JSON
in the back. The DBIx::Class ORM has held up to the test of time and our
migrations from Apache 1 to 2 to 2.2 and 2.4 have been smooth sailing.

So there's our story. Embperl continues to be alive and well for us and we
depend on it on a daily basis with historically near zero downtime due to
Embperl itself.

Cheers!

Re: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 10:44:27AM -0300, Jose Fonseca wrote:
> So the main con against Embperl is not actually an Embperl issue: Perl
> urgently needs an application packaging system like Java already has had
> for 17 years. Upload a binary and the app is deployed, that's how simple it
> should be in 2012. Nobody deserves to sit there and watch GCC compilation
> messages scroll by in this time and age, IMHO. You can afford it as a
> single developer, but when using Embperl for tens of deployments that is
> simply undoable.

If you don't want to compile software, may I recommend that you use
a binary distribution which contains the software you need? Even if
Embperl itself isn't in great shape in Debian at the moment, everything
else that Embperl needs is in there.

The fact that java has it doesn't mean that it makes sense for perl,
on technical grounds. The vast majority of perl is pure-perl, not
compiled, but the bits that do get compiled get compiled to native code.
not an intermediate byte-code. A universal binary distribution format
is not, therefore, particularly realistic, which is why I suggest that you
look to something like Debian.

Cheers,
Dominic.

Re: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
> The fact that java has it doesn't mean that it makes sense for perl,
> on technical grounds. The vast majority of perl is pure-perl, not

It does relate to Perl IMO. We're in an age where scaling up is no longer
the only way forward.

I can add 100 Cassandra database machines in Amazon AWS in one click but I
can't deploy more Perl-based servers. That tells us Perl needs a Java-like
deployment system with easier packaging IMO.

> compiled, but the bits that do get compiled get compiled to native code.
> not an intermediate byte-code. A universal binary distribution format
> is not, therefore, particularly realistic,

There exist several bytecode binary systems that work - and they work on
major websites, I don't know what you mean by "A universal binary
distribution format is not, therefore, particularly realistic, " - I guess
systems similar to .NET, Java, Scala, Jython and Parrot are unrealistic?
Again this is unrelated to Embperl, but it's a consequence of choosing Perl
for an app, which is why I mentioned it.

> which is why I suggest that you
> look to something like Debian.

The Linux distro, with all due respect, is absolutely unrelated to anything
I said. We completely ignore what is underneath our Perl app. At this
moment it's Fedora Core or RedHat I believe, but we pay zero attention to
it, it could be FreeBSD or a Mac for what it's worth. In fact my personal
mobile development and testing machine is on MacOS. And at this moment I
write you from Fedora Core in which the app runs fine.

The distro is irrelevant and to answer your suggestion, no there is not a
single distro out there with all the modules required by our app.
Deployment has been an issue for us for ages, our only solution has been to
use Amazon AMI's. If you have suggestions or ideas for easy packaging of
Embperl apps with thousands of dependencies, we'd really appreciate it.

Re: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 11:06:05AM -0300, Jose Fonseca wrote:
> > The fact that java has it doesn't mean that it makes sense for perl,
> > on technical grounds. The vast majority of perl is pure-perl, not
>
> It does relate to Perl IMO. We're in an age where scaling up is no longer
> the only way forward.
>
> I can add 100 Cassandra database machines in Amazon AWS in one click but I
> can't deploy more Perl-based servers. That tells us Perl needs a Java-like
> deployment system with easier packaging IMO.
>
> > compiled, but the bits that do get compiled get compiled to native code.
> > not an intermediate byte-code. A universal binary distribution format
> > is not, therefore, particularly realistic,
>
> There exist several bytecode binary systems that work - and they work on
> major websites, I don't know what you mean by "A universal binary
> distribution format is not, therefore, particularly realistic, " - I guess
> systems similar to .NET, Java, Scala, Jython and Parrot are unrealistic?
> Again this is unrelated to Embperl, but it's a consequence of choosing Perl
> for an app, which is why I mentioned it.

Adding an intermediate bytecode to perl5 is unrealistic, yes.

> > which is why I suggest that you
> > look to something like Debian.
>
> The Linux distro, with all due respect, is absolutely unrelated to anything
> I said. We completely ignore what is underneath our Perl app. At this
> moment it's Fedora Core or RedHat I believe, but we pay zero attention to
> it, it could be FreeBSD or a Mac for what it's worth. In fact my personal
> mobile development and testing machine is on MacOS. And at this moment I
> write you from Fedora Core in which the app runs fine.

Okay, that's one way of looking at things. I prefer to look at the
distribution as being a core part of the way software is managed (I work
in an environment where no software gets installed on a server unless
it comes from a Debian package of some sort). YMMV, clearly :)

> The distro is irrelevant and to answer your suggestion, no there is not a
> single distro out there with all the modules required by our app.
> Deployment has been an issue for us for ages, our only solution has been to
> use Amazon AMI's. If you have suggestions or ideas for easy packaging of
> Embperl apps with thousands of dependencies, we'd really appreciate it.

I think the two approaches are so radically opposed I'm going to be hard
pushed to recommend something you'd want. There are tools available; one
I know of is <http://par.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page> but I don't know how
they handle compiled extensions.

Cheers,
Dominic.

Re: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
> Adding an intermediate bytecode to perl5 is unrealistic, yes.

IIRC it's already there ;)

http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/perl-5.16.1/ext/B/B.pm

> Okay, that's one way of looking at things. I prefer to look at the
> distribution as being a core part of the way software is managed (I work
> in an environment where no software gets installed on a server unless
> it comes from a Debian package of some sort). YMMV, clearly :)

That doesn't seem to fix the core issue of Perl app mobility.
Whether you're installing from a Debian repository or from a Red Hat
Enterprise license, you still have to install - that is my problem.
The example I brought up is that other languages make it very easy to pack
all dependencies into one tarball and it works almost anywhere.

> I think the two approaches are so radically opposed I'm going to be hard
> pushed to recommend something you'd want. There are tools available; one
> I know of is <http://par.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page> but I don't know how
> they handle compiled extensions.

Thanks for the tip. I recall PAR, I am almost sure we tried it at some
point.

Also chromatic's hacks book has a hack to create self-contained
distributions. We tried several such ideas and problems arose because there
is lots of orthogonality between system paths, libraries, conflicts.
They're so many variables, our staging systems deployed that way were
unstable, we had random crashes and finally went back to just installing
everything from CPAN then creating a virtual machine snapshot.

So instead of deploying a JAR-like package, we are deploying a
computer...one whole virtual machine image that contains a computer in
it...several GB's in size just to accommodate an application. It's like
driving a bus all by yourself to work every day.

Best wishes.
Jose Fonseca

RE: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
I just want to join Jose and air my gratitude to Gerald for his
outstanding work and, not least, his availability which has been
acknowledged by many over the years.

I started using Embperl in 1999 and there are projects under my hat that
are still at large today utilising Embperl. I, as many, do not question
the robustness nor concept behind Embperl but have started to question
whether Embperl is something to utilise in a new project. Embperl
addresses current needs but the apparent lack of enthusiasts behind it
today (apart from Gerald himself and a few die hard including myself) does
beg the question whether it is as a wise choice for future needs.

I for one would love to see the return of the vibrant community once
associated with Embperl and, as far as I can see, the sudden influx in
activity on this mailing list tells me there may very well still be life
in this “animal”.

Time to join forces behind Gerald and bring Embperl back to the forefront?

RE: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I think that's the point. Embperl is missing an active  community. Nearly all of the work is done by myself and (as for most of us) my time is limited. Also Embperl is still alive and I will keep to maintain it, there could be much more going on if the work would be shared by more people. To get it back into a living project it would necessary to

-          Update the website

-          Update the documentation (for example Embperl::Form is nearly undocumented and I guess unused, also it's very powerfull)

-          Creating packages for the main linux distribution

-          Writing articles (I don't think it's realistic to have a book, but having articles about it would help a lot)

As already said I am about to create a new release for Perl 5.14&5.16 and I hope to get some time to do some (minimal) updates on the website (so the project doesn't look dead, as it seems from the website right now), but that's all I can do for now.

It would be really great, if anybody has a chance to do some of the above work ( other ideas are always welcome)

Gerald

Re: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
richter@ecos.de wrote:
> I think that’s the point. Embperl is missing an active community.
> Nearly all of the work is done by myself and (as for most of us) my time
> is limited. Also Embperl is still alive and I will keep to maintain it,
> there could be much more going on if the work would be shared by more
> people. To get it back into a living project it would necessary to
>
> -Update the website

I agree, the website looks really bad at the moment. When you go to this
page:

http://perl.apache.org/embperl/pod/doc/Embperl.-page-19-.htm

and click on the link to download Embperl, it just sits there saying
'connecting'. It makes it look like this is a dead project, to be
honest, and who knows how many potential Embperl users the site has
turned off. You would never hear from them, so we have no idea.

> -Update the documentation (for example Embperl::Form is nearly
> undocumented and I guess unused, also it’s very powerfull)

This would be good too, I am sure you did lots of cool stuff in Embperl
2.0 but it's no use if nobody knows about it.

> -Creating packages for the main linux distribution

This would be nice, but I know I probably wouldn't use it, since I tend
to build my own Apache (I do two versions, one front end caching reverse
proxy and one back-end mod_perl), and so I don't want an Embperl which
wants to also pull in and install the default Apache Debian packages.
But it would definitely be nice if it was in Debian again, that is
always a sign of the health and legitimacy of a project (for better or
worse).

> -Writing articles (I don’t think it’s realistic to have a book, but
> having articles about it would help a lot)

I wrote a 'howto' article early on for Embperl 1.3, but somewhere along
the line it got dropped. I also offered to clean up spelling and grammar
for the English version of the documentation, but that was years and
years ago now. If you would like help with any new documentation, then
just let me know and I would be glad to help.

I could also write an article or two on my own website (probably
neilgunton.com) about how I use Embperl. I am kind of weird, though,
while I think I'm an ok programmer in some respects, in other respects I
really don't know much at all. For example, whenever I start looking
deeper into Perl itself, I realize that I pretty much skate
superficially over some of the more powerful aspects of the language in
my own use. I tend to write simple code, which is good, I guess, but
because of that I'm probably not the best person to write about any
gee-whiz super advanced stuff. That said, maybe I know more than I
realize, I mean I've been developing with Embperl for over 10 years now,
so I must know something. Maybe I've been doing some things wrong all
this time, I don't know, but if you like I can try to write something.
Just be prepared for some forehead slapping moments when you see how I
use it! ;-)

> As already said I am about to create a new release for Perl 5.14&5.16
> and I hope to get some time to do some (minimal) updates on the website
> (so the project doesn’t look dead, as it seems from the website right
> now), but that’s all I can do for now.

Thanks! Let me know if you need any help with anything. If I can help
from my end, I'd be glad to.

> It would be really great, if anybody has a chance to do some of the
> above work ( other ideas are always welcome)

I have been getting into Google Maps API v3 recently. I actually bought
a book on the topic which I thought would be useful, but in practice I
found that the code samples on Google's own site are most useful. For
me, just seeing how the code is supposed to be used (or was intended to
be used by the developer) is most useful. So perhaps some code samples
of the things you think each feature could be used for? There are lots
of things in Embperl that I don't use, but I'm sure you put them in
there for a reason. If you like, I could help with doing this too, at
least in English, if you can give me the outlines (we can do that
offline if you're up for it) and I can understand what you're talking
about, then I could do that as another article. It would really be most
natural on your website, but since you're busy I can certainly just post
it on my own site and have you link to it. Whatever works, I'm easy.

Thanks again, Gerald, I'm very grateful for all the work you have put
into Embperl over the years.

Neil

Re: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
It's been a while since I've looked at existing frameworks in Perl (I'm stuck in a long-term Python project right now). When I last did, I used Catalyst and replaced TT with Embperl. I also augmented Embperl with a few features (a [] construct that does *no* escaping, and a dynamic include capability that works well with the object model for giving you what pieces you need in the right order only and only once—it's been a while, so I can't really describe it well).

I'd be happy to contribute both of those, although neither are what I'd call polished.

The key issue I have is Frameworks, Frameworks, Frameworks. People expect more out of their tools than Embperl provides. I think that Embperl would have a much better chance of survival if it could be embedded in an existing Framework. It's way faster than the pure-perl solutions, and it's much better at managing cross-site scripting areas and form filling than any other system out there.
RE: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

[.apologies for the html format - I'm sending from a work webmail client]

> - Embperl is deleted from Debian testing (Wheezy, 7.0) and Ubuntu 12.04.
> Is there any hope that it will get back in Wheezy? I saw some discussion
> here about this issue, but could not figure out, if there is any hope.

I've just taken 2.5.0_1 from the tar.gz Gerald has posted months back and after some blood sweat and tears I've got the debianisations (patches etc) from earlier distributions either deleted, modified or merged across and can successfully build a debian package under wheezy.

Since this currently requires ignoring the (harmless) test failures its certainly not going to make it into debian as-is. However, when Gerald has had a chance to polish up the newer version of the codebase that he's working on I'll repeat the process and, if successful, pass it on to the debian perl team (I'm not a Debian packager myself). It won't make it into wheezy but I'll be happy to maintain unofficial packages in the meantime.

Let me know if anyone wants to beat on it and I'll send it via email or post a link to the list. I haven't had a chance to do any more than confirm it doesn't make Apache segfault when its actively loaded at this point so the more testing the better ;-)

> - In general: Is emperl still a living project or should i consider
> porting my project to some alternative? I liked embperl very much, would
> be sad to see it dying.

For my 2c we use it extensively here at work, currently all on slightly older Debian servers (we have a refresh project happening at the moment hence my work on getting a wheezy package up and running). It works out of the box for a reasonably large embperl::object website that forms the front end to our primary service offering so its certainly not going anywhere for us soon.

Its fast, reliable and its been years since we've had any WTF? moment with it in dev or production.

To be honest I don't know whether this is actually a biggish website or not any more but to give you an idea the web tree has just under 40k lines of embperl code - this count only includes non-comment embperl lines or blocks, not html JS CSS etc.

I'll certainly be continuing to support Embperl in whatever way I can.

Cheers,

Andrew
Re: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
Le 07/09/2012 19:26, Neil Gunton a écrit :
> richter@ecos.de wrote:
>> -Update the documentation (for example Embperl::Form is nearly
>> undocumented and I guess unused, also it’s very powerfull)
>
> This would be good too, I am sure you did lots of cool stuff in Embperl
> 2.0 but it's no use if nobody knows about it.

Embperl 2 is quite enough documented. What's missing, in my PoV, is,
here and there, what is specific to Embperl 1 and/or
obsolete/recommended in Embperl 2.

I'd also like a bigger faq/hints (wiki-based ?)

>> -Creating packages for the main linux distribution

> But it would definitely be nice if it was in Debian again, that is
> always a sign of the health and legitimacy of a project (for better or
> worse).

I'm always installing from Debian/Ubuntu. I'm not sure I could do the
job alone but I could help packaging it (I would start by marking
libembperl-perl as conflicting with apache2-mpm-worker ;-) )

> I am kind of weird, though,
> while I think I'm an ok programmer in some respects, in other respects I
> really don't know much at all. For example, whenever I start looking
> deeper into Perl itself, I realize that I pretty much skate
> superficially over some of the more powerful aspects of the language in
> my own use. I tend to write simple code, which is good, I guess, but
> because of that I'm probably not the best person to write about any
> gee-whiz super advanced stuff. That said, maybe I know more than I
> realize, I mean I've been developing with Embperl for over 10 years now,
> so I must know something. Maybe I've been doing some things wrong all
> this time, I don't know, but if you like I can try to write something.
> Just be prepared for some forehead slapping moments when you see how I
> use it! ;-)

Word for word, the same for me :-)

Thanks Gerald for your work and support.

RE: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

thanks for all the responses :-)

I have 2.5.0_2 nearly ready. Hopefully I can release it during next week.

After cleaning up the current web, I will setup a wiki on embperl.org, so everybody can easily contribute.

I like the idea of creating a kind of Cookbook with code snippets and examples.

Of course any other contribution, like spell checking etc. is very welcome.

2.5.0_2 will contain patches from Debian and additionals one I just received from Florian, so I think it would be the best to base any further work on the upcoming 2.5.0_2 release

Gerald

Re: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
I think the wiki idea is a great one. I can help with translations to
Portuguese if you guys think it'd be useful. (Assuming a multi-lingual
Wiki?)

> I like the idea of creating a kind of Cookbook with code snippets and
examples.

This IMO would really drive users into it. Supported and, with whatever
time allows me to do, I'd love to help.

Jose

Re: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
I would second Kee's point.

At $work, (a very large company which has been a heavy user of EmbPerl for years), they are considering switching away (from both Embperl and even Perl).

One of the biggest things that was a problem was a lack of a good MVC framework - we had to roll our own, slow and clumsy ones.

If I could show people how to plug our existing EP code as a view layer into Catalyst, it would go a long way to convince the $powers that Embperl is worth looking at.

RE: Status of Embperl? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

we have a project that uses Embperl inside of Catlyst. That’s no problem. I am not the who maintains it, but I will get the necessary modules and post it here. Just give me a few days.

Gerald