Mailing List Archive

Very simple drop-in replacement for basic Embperl functionality.
First, please let me say THANK YOU to Gerald and everyone who has worked on Embperl and contributed to the forum! I have been a long-time user of Embperl and appreciate everyone's contribution. For years, Embperl has provided the only sensible templating structure (as agreed upon in the other realms of jsp, asp, php, etc.)

Second, the replacement I've found covers only the basic exec functionality with templates that look like:
<htm>[* code *]variable: [+ $var +]</html>

Ok, in case you are still interested....
Given:
As a long-time user of Emperl, we were using Embperl for all of our template needs, which is to say A LOT. However, we have found that unless we are building an entire website on top of Embperl, which uses caching, form processing, etc., that all we really need is the basic asp, jsp, php style template handling as in the above.

Problem:
Embperl has a ton of great features, but as such, it has also become a bit of a complex beast. We have hit some very hard to debug compilation and run-time bugs. It has also been non-trivial to train people to use it correctly and consistently.

Solution:
http://search.cpan.org/~taiy/Text-ScriptTemplate-0.08/ScriptTemplate.pm

It is a one-file pure-perl package. We changed the delimiters to [* *], and ran a small script to convert the [+ +] tags to [*= +]. We may be a bit of a special case though because I enforced that every one only use those two delimiters.

I'm happy to say that we still have a project that uses Embperl. However, we don't use it anymore if all we want is a template engine.

I'm attaching the full implementation of our wrapper. We did some special things to get the specific behavior that we wanted.

Thanks,

-Carl