Our implementation of "which" should not search
for a program in the elements of PATH when program
already contains a path. [rjung]

Fix hash generation when the openssl command
was overwritten with the environment variable
"APACHE_TEST_OPENSSL_CMD". [rjung]

Add new config option limitrequestline needed
when the local directory paths are long. [rjung]
Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Test-1.43 RC1 [ In reply to ]
On Oct 15, 2021, at 4:26 AM, Steve Hay <stevehay@apache.org> wrote:
> As a preliminary to making a new mod_perl release, I am updating Apache-Test.
>
> Please download, test, and report back on this Apache-Test 1.43 release candidate.
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/perl/Apache-Test-1.43-rc1.tar.gz

INSTALL says to "perl Makefile.PL -httpd /path/to/your/apache/bin/httpd", but I found I had to

perl Makefile.PL -httpd /path/to/your/apache/bin/httpd -apxs /path/to/your/apache/bin/apxs

or else "make test" reported a lot of "APXS (/usr/sbin/apxs) query for SBINDIR failed" errors.

Obviously, /usr/sbin/apxs != /path/to/your/apache/bin/apxs for my httpd installation.

Well, after I "perl Makefile.PL -httpd /path/to/your/apache/bin/httpd -apxs /path/to/your/apache/bin/apxs", I encountered the following:

waiting 60 seconds for server to start: .AH00526: Syntax error on line 12 of /path/to/tests/Apache-Test-1.43-rc1/t/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'User', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
[ error]
server has died with status 255 (t/logs/error_log wasn't created, start the server in the debug mode)
sh: line 1: 39154 Terminated /path/to/perl /path/to/tests/Apache-Test-1.43-rc1/t/TEST -bugreport -verbose=0

The first non-comment lines in t/conf/httpd.conf are

User "<my_userid>"
Group "<my_primary_group>"

I'm using Apache 2.4.41. If I try to edit t/conf/httpd.conf to comment out these lines or to add "LoadModule unixd_module modules/mod_unixd.so" so that the httpd.conf will work, my changes just get destroyed the next time I "make test". Frustrating.

Also, It would be nice if Apache::Test would skip trying to "ulimit -c unlimited" if $LOGNAME != "root" in order to avoid the following message:

sh: line 0: ulimit: core file size: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted

If only root should "make test", then the INSTALL instructions should say to use sudo or something.

Thanks for all your efforts, Steve. I appreciate them.

Regards,
Ed

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Test-1.43 RC1 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 at 21:33, Edward J. Sabol <edwardjsabol@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2021, at 4:26 AM, Steve Hay <stevehay@apache.org> wrote:
> > As a preliminary to making a new mod_perl release, I am updating
> Apache-Test.
> >
> > Please download, test, and report back on this Apache-Test 1.43 release
> candidate.
> >
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/perl/Apache-Test-1.43-rc1.tar.gz
>
> INSTALL says to "perl Makefile.PL -httpd /path/to/your/apache/bin/httpd",
> but I found I had to
>
> perl Makefile.PL -httpd /path/to/your/apache/bin/httpd -apxs
> /path/to/your/apache/bin/apxs
>
> or else "make test" reported a lot of "APXS (/usr/sbin/apxs) query for
> SBINDIR failed" errors.
>
> Obviously, /usr/sbin/apxs != /path/to/your/apache/bin/apxs for my httpd
> installation.
>
> Well, after I "perl Makefile.PL -httpd /path/to/your/apache/bin/httpd
> -apxs /path/to/your/apache/bin/apxs", I encountered the following:
>
> waiting 60 seconds for server to start: .AH00526: Syntax error on line 12
> of /path/to/tests/Apache-Test-1.43-rc1/t/conf/httpd.conf:
> Invalid command 'User', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not
> included in the server configuration
> [ error]
> server has died with status 255 (t/logs/error_log wasn't created, start
> the server in the debug mode)
> sh: line 1: 39154 Terminated /path/to/perl
> /path/to/tests/Apache-Test-1.43-rc1/t/TEST -bugreport -verbose=0
>
> The first non-comment lines in t/conf/httpd.conf are
>
> User "<my_userid>"
> Group "<my_primary_group>"
>
> I'm using Apache 2.4.41. If I try to edit t/conf/httpd.conf to comment out
> these lines or to add "LoadModule unixd_module modules/mod_unixd.so" so
> that the httpd.conf will work, my changes just get destroyed the next time
> I "make test". Frustrating.
>
> Also, It would be nice if Apache::Test would skip trying to "ulimit -c
> unlimited" if $LOGNAME != "root" in order to avoid the following message:
>
> sh: line 0: ulimit: core file size: cannot modify limit: Operation not
> permitted
>
> If only root should "make test", then the INSTALL instructions should say
> to use sudo or something.

Thanks for testing, and apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about building Apache/mod_perl on *nix
systems, and was hoping that someone else might step in with some answers
here.

Do you get the same behaviour with Apache-Test-1.42, or are these new
problems in 1.43-rc1?

If the problems are not new then I'm inclined to leave them for now
(assuming I can get some +1s from voters on releasing this) and look at
addressing them for the next release. The purpose of this release was
really just to update Apache-Test in mod_perl to the current version before
making a long-overdue release of that.
Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Test-1.43 RC1 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 26 Oct 2021 at 08:28, Steve Hay <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> sh: line 0: ulimit: core file size: cannot modify limit: Operation not
>> permitted
>>
>> If only root should "make test", then the INSTALL instructions should say
>> to use sudo or something.
>>

> Thanks for testing, and apologies for not getting back to you sooner.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know anything about building Apache/mod_perl on
> *nix systems, and was hoping that someone else might step in with some
> answers here.
>
> Do you get the same behaviour with Apache-Test-1.42, or are these new
> problems in 1.43-rc1?
>
> If the problems are not new then I'm inclined to leave them for now
> (assuming I can get some +1s from voters on releasing this) and look at
> addressing them for the next release. The purpose of this release was
> really just to update Apache-Test in mod_perl to the current version before

+1 from me, using VS2019 (v16.9.4) x64 on Windows 10, Perl 5.34.0, Apache
httpd 2.4.51, mod_perl from SVN (r1894283), libapreq2-2.16, with and
without LWP installed.

(For me the build works just doing "perl Makefile.PL && nmake &&
nmake test" after setting my perl.exe and httpd.exe folders in the %PATH%.)

Still looking for more +1s...
Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Test-1.43 RC1 [ In reply to ]
On Oct 26, 2021, at 3:28 AM, Steve Hay <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for testing, and apologies for not getting back to you sooner.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know anything about building Apache/mod_perl on *nix systems, and was hoping that someone else might step in with some answers here.

Oh.

> Do you get the same behaviour with Apache-Test-1.42, or are these new problems in 1.43-rc1?

Yes, I get the same behavior with 1.42. At a minimum, I need to

ln -s /path/to/my/apache/modules

inside the Apache-Test-1.43-rc1 directory and create a t/conf/httpd.conf.in file (as suggested by the README) with a bunch of LoadModule commands in it to get the httpd server to start up in any kind of useful state.

The resulting "make test" output still skips the tests of mod_cgi, mod_perl, etc., even though I explicitly load them in t/conf/httpd.conf.in. I think I've tracked down the reason for this to Apache::TestConfig's modules hash doesn't include all of the modules that are actually loaded. I haven't been able to figure out why though. I suspect it's parsing the wrong httpd.conf file. If I hack Apache::Test's need_module to always return 1, all tests pass, so these modules are loaded. This seems to be a long-standing problem for some (but not most) people, as evidenced by this thread from 2006:

https://www.mail-archive.com/test-dev@perl.apache.org/msg00321.html

> If the problems are not new then I'm inclined to leave them for now (assuming I can get some +1s from voters on releasing this) and look at addressing them for the next release. The purpose of this release was really just to update Apache-Test in mod_perl to the current version before making a long-overdue release of that.

Do you have a link that shows the changes from 1.42 to 1.43-rc1? Or just send me the diffs? That's probably a better way for me to evaluate the changes.

Thanks,
Ed

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Test-1.43 RC1 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 3 Nov 2021 at 03:44, Edward J. Sabol <edwardjsabol@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2021, at 3:28 AM, Steve Hay <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Do you get the same behaviour with Apache-Test-1.42, or are these new
> problems in 1.43-rc1?
>
> Yes, I get the same behavior with 1.42. At a minimum, I need to
>
> ln -s /path/to/my/apache/modules
>
> inside the Apache-Test-1.43-rc1 directory and create a t/conf/
> httpd.conf.in file (as suggested by the README) with a bunch of
> LoadModule commands in it to get the httpd server to start up in any kind
> of useful state.
>
> The resulting "make test" output still skips the tests of mod_cgi,
> mod_perl, etc., even though I explicitly load them in t/conf/httpd.conf.in.
> I think I've tracked down the reason for this to Apache::TestConfig's
> modules hash doesn't include all of the modules that are actually loaded. I
> haven't been able to figure out why though. I suspect it's parsing the
> wrong httpd.conf file. If I hack Apache::Test's need_module to always
> return 1, all tests pass, so these modules are loaded. This seems to be a
> long-standing problem for some (but not most) people, as evidenced by this
> thread from 2006:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/test-dev@perl.apache.org/msg00321.html
>
> > If the problems are not new then I'm inclined to leave them for now
> (assuming I can get some +1s from voters on releasing this) and look at
> addressing them for the next release. The purpose of this release was
> really just to update Apache-Test in mod_perl to the current version before
> making a long-overdue release of that.
>
> Do you have a link that shows the changes from 1.42 to 1.43-rc1? Or just
> send me the diffs? That's probably a better way for me to evaluate the
> changes.

Let's come back to the existing problems you've raised for the next
release, otherwise this will hold up the mod_perl release.

I've attached a diff of the changes from 1.42 to 1.43-rc1.
Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Test-1.43 RC1 [ In reply to ]
> Let's come back to the existing problems you've raised for the next release, otherwise this will hold up the mod_perl release.

Sure, I get that.

> I've attached a diff of the changes from 1.42 to 1.43-rc1.
> <diffs.txt>

Thanks. (I wish Apache used GitHub. It would be a lot easier to track development....)

Anyway, these are pretty minor changes, but I don't think this change is quite correct:

+ # No need to search PATH components
+ # if $program already contains a path
+ return $program if !OSX and !WINFU and
+ $program =~ /\// and -f $program and -x $program;
+

OSX uses slashes for path separators and supports "-f" and "-x". I feel the "!OSX and " should be removed here, but I can't test it as all of my Apache httpd systems are on Linux.

return $program if !WINFU and

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Test-1.43 RC1 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 01:54, Edward J. Sabol <edwardjsabol@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, these are pretty minor changes, but I don't think this change is
> quite correct:
>
> + # No need to search PATH components
> + # if $program already contains a path
> + return $program if !OSX and !WINFU and
> + $program =~ /\// and -f $program and -x $program;
> +
>
> OSX uses slashes for path separators and supports "-f" and "-x". I feel
> the "!OSX and " should be removed here, but I can't test it as all of my
> Apache httpd systems are on Linux.
>
> return $program if !WINFU and
> $program =~ /\// and -f $program and -x $program;

Unfortunately I can't test OSX either. Is anyone here able to?

The change in question is this:

https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1880585

Rainer, did you include that "!OSX" for a specific reason? Do you know if
Ed is correct that it can be dropped as he suggests?
Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Test-1.43 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Am 05.11.2021 um 10:07 schrieb Steve Hay:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 01:54, Edward J. Sabol <edwardjsabol@gmail.com
> <mailto:edwardjsabol@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Anyway, these are pretty minor changes, but I don't think this
> change is quite correct:
>
> +    # No need to search PATH components
> +    # if $program already contains a path
> +    return $program if !OSX and !WINFU and
> +        $program =~ /\// and -f $program and -x $program;
> +
>
> OSX uses slashes for path separators and supports "-f" and "-x". I
> feel the "!OSX and " should be removed here, but I can't test it as
> all of my Apache httpd systems are on Linux.
>
>     return $program if !WINFU and
>         $program =~ /\// and -f $program and -x $program;
>

> Unfortunately I can't test OSX either. Is anyone here able to?
>
> The change in question is this:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1880585
> <https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1880585>
>
> Rainer, did you include that "!OSX" for a specific reason? Do you know
> if Ed is correct that it can be dropped as he suggests?

I can't test OSX either and I think that was the only reason for the !OSX.

Best regards,

Rainer

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Test-1.43 RC1 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 09:25, Rainer Jung <rainer.jung@kippdata.de> wrote:

> Am 05.11.2021 um 10:07 schrieb Steve Hay:
> > On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 01:54, Edward J. Sabol <edwardjsabol@gmail.com
> > <mailto:edwardjsabol@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, these are pretty minor changes, but I don't think this
> > change is quite correct:
> >
> > + # No need to search PATH components
> > + # if $program already contains a path
> > + return $program if !OSX and !WINFU and
> > + $program =~ /\// and -f $program and -x $program;
> > +
> >
> > OSX uses slashes for path separators and supports "-f" and "-x". I
> > feel the "!OSX and " should be removed here, but I can't test it as
> > all of my Apache httpd systems are on Linux.
> >
> > return $program if !WINFU and
> > $program =~ /\// and -f $program and -x $program;
> >

> > Unfortunately I can't test OSX either. Is anyone here able to?
> >
> > The change in question is this:
> >
> > https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1880585
> > <https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1880585>
> >
> > Rainer, did you include that "!OSX" for a specific reason? Do you know
> > if Ed is correct that it can be dropped as he suggests?
>
> I can't test OSX either and I think that was the only reason for the !OSX.

Ok, thanks.

I will wait a few more days in case anyone is able to test on OSX, but if
not then I will go ahead and release this as-is, i.e. with the !OSX since
it makes sense to retain it if nobody can test on that platform.
Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Test-1.43 RC1 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 3:04 AM Steve Hay
<steve.m.hay@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> I will wait a few more days in case anyone is able to test on OSX, but if not then I will go ahead and release this as-is, i.e. with the !OSX since it makes sense to retain it if nobody can test on that platform.

+1 (been a while since I've done that here, feels good!)

[ info] adding source lib /Users/phred/dev/Apache-Test-1.43-rc1/lib to @INC
t/alltest/all.t .......... skipped: testing all.t
t/alltest2/all.t ......... skipped: testing more than one all.t
t/bad_coding.t ........... ok
t/cookies.t .............. skipped: cannot find one of cgi.c or cgid.c
t/import.t ............... ok
t/log_watch.t ............ ok
t/more/all.t ............. skipped: cannot find module 'mod_perl.c'
t/next_available_port.t .. skipped: cannot find one of cgi.c or cgid.c
t/ping.t ................. ok
t/redirect.t ............. ok
t/request.t .............. ok
t/sok.t .................. ok
All tests successful.
Files=12, Tests=85, 7 wallclock secs ( 0.07 usr 0.07 sys + 4.08
cusr 2.69 csys = 6.91 CPU)
Result: PASS
[warning] server localhost:8529 shutdown

phred@thor ~/dev/Apache-Test-1.43-rc1 $ uname -rv
21.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 21.1.0: Wed Oct 13 17:33:23 PDT 2021;
root:xnu-8019.41.5~1/RELEASE_X86_64

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Test-1.43 RC1 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 at 01:24, Fred Moyer <fred@redhotpenguin.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 3:04 AM Steve Hay
> <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I will wait a few more days in case anyone is able to test on OSX, but if not then I will go ahead and release this as-is, i.e. with the !OSX since it makes sense to retain it if nobody can test on that platform.
>
> +1 (been a while since I've done that here, feels good!)

Thanks to everyone for testing/reviewing/voting. The release is now up
on CPAN :-)

I will make an rc1 for mod_perl shortly, and then return to the
Apache-Test issues that Ed raised above.