Mailing List Archive

Apache::ASP Mod_perl
Trying to get apache with asp and mod perl working.

seems to be all installed.. although when I put in the test.asp page(see
below) I get this error in the logs.

[asp] [1349] [error] error compiling test.asp: Can't modify constant item in
scalar assignment at /var/www/site/test.asp line 16, at EOF <--> ,
/usr/share/perl5/Apache/ASP.pm line 1466

Been digging around and can't see to find any direction to go ... any debug
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Cris

<%@ Language="VBScript" %>

<% Option Explicit %>

<!--- This page should display "ASP is working!" --->

<!--- if ASP is available to you. --->

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<TITLE>ASP Test Page</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<% Dim TestString %>

<% TestString = "ASP is Working!" %>

<H1>

<% Response.Write TestString %>

</H1>

</BODY>

</HTML>

Re: Apache::ASP Mod_perl [ In reply to ]
On Jul 17, 2015, at 1:16 PM, Cris Boisvert <Cris@usai.net> wrote:

> Trying to get apache with asp and mod perl working.

On what platform? Specifically, which versions of Apache, mod_perl, and Perl are you using?

> I get this error in the logs.
>
> [asp] [1349] [error] error compiling test.asp: Can't modify constant item in scalar assignment at /var/www/site/test.asp line 16, at EOF <--> , /usr/share/perl5/Apache/ASP.pm line 1466

I’ve never seen that one. It means Apache::ASP couldn’t compile an *.asp or *.inc file, but I couldn’t say why.

What I can tell you is that Apache::ASP really hasn’t been updated significantly since the days when mod_perl was the standard way to deploy Perl web apps, which hasn’t been true for quite some time now. The Perl world has moved on to Plack/PSGI and FastCGI instead, and mod_perl has been left to bit-rot. It’s gotten to the point that RHEL 7 and its derivatives no longer even include mod_perl.

While all of this can be worked around, I can’t recommend going to the trouble if you don’t have a legacy code base to get working again, and not even then in most cases.

We ported our web app to Dancer. It was quite a bit of work, but we’re very happy with the new framework.

I wrote a longish review of Dancer as compared to Apache::ASP here on this list about a year back: http://goo.gl/kDQB5b
Re: Apache::ASP Mod_perl [ In reply to ]
I have created a branch of apache::asp to work on Plack/PSGI
It worked nicely and is in repository .
I just didn't have a time to document it but i will be back to it once i do.
And i an actually looking for testers .

And ASP have it pluses ,like page based navigation (and not MVC) if that's
what you want.

Anyway it seems like Cris is trying to run VB using this module and it will
not work,

Cris,
this is a module for running perl in ASP like fashion .VB will not work

Evgeny

Re: Apache::ASP Mod_perl [ In reply to ]
(resend due to my sending it originally from an address not subscribed
to the list)

On 17/07/2015 10:16 PM, Cris Boisvert wrote:

> Trying to get apache with asp and mod perl working.
>
> seems to be all installed.. although when I put in the test.asp
> page(see below) I get this error in the logs.
>
> [asp] [1349] [error] error compiling test.asp: Can't modify constant
> item in scalar assignment at /var/www/site/test.asp line 16, at EOF
> <--> , /usr/share/perl5/Apache/ASP.pm line 1466
>
> Been digging around and can't see to find any direction to go ... any
> debug advice would be greatly appreciated.

Since you've installed mod_perl and Apache::ASP, you should try writing
some perl code. I've modified your code below but obviously there is
much to be done differently in Perl vs VBScript.
> Thanx
>
> Cris

Best Regards,
Thanos Chatziathanassiou