We use perl + Apache::ASP extensively .
I guess there are others out there in our position.
Also, It looks like there is a need for at least one patch being applied .
So ,maybe the original authors want to take the maintenance back?
Or is there anybody with write permissions on the module in CPAN?
We don't want any changes etc... just to make sure that everything works.
Thanks
Evgeny
Re: apache::asp maintenance ,again [ In reply to ]
On 14/08/2011 10:43 πμ, Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
> Hi all.
> Yes ,we are still using the apache::asp ,it is a great peace of software
> after all.
> And we want to thank the original authors for the work they have done.
> Anyway ,it looks like there is not a lot of going on with the module now.
> Still, we are maintaining a very big application that uses it.
> We use perl + Apache::ASP extensively .
> I guess there are others out there in our position.
> Also, It looks like there is a need for at least one patch being applied .
> So ,maybe the original authors want to take the maintenance back?
> Or is there anybody with write permissions on the module in CPAN?
> We don't want any changes etc... just to make sure that everything works.
> Thanks
> Evgeny

I have numerous fixes for Apache::ASP including the one mentioned here.
I'd gladly pick up maintenance for Apache::ASP if Josh is willing to let
me have it and is actually following this list.
Truth is I haven't heard from him since 20090328 when we were discussing
a generic Apache::Session interface for state management.
I have this thing working in-house but numerous requests for comments on
this very list went unanswered.
I naturally thought Apache::ASP is dead (at least for the rest of the
world) and went along happily using our in-house version.
Said patch is rather large and (at the moment) ugly, but seems to work
just fine.
I also have a patch for geany (version 0.18 sadly) to work with perl
powered asp pages and a wordlist for ultraedit to do the same thing.
So:
- Josh, if you're listening and feel like it, would you please resume
maintaining Apache::ASP ?
- If you are listening but don't care, would you give co-maintainer
status to someone ?
- If neither is happening, we'll either need to fork off some other
namespace or have an unofficial distribution. I did the second one by
accident once and it's not overly complicated, though instead of ``perl
-MCPAN -e'install Apache::ASP''', one would need ``perl -MCPAN
-e'install authors/W/WHOEVER/Apache-ASP-X.Y.Z''' or some such. It's
certainly not the best solution, but it is workable.

Best Regards,
Thanos Chatziathanassiou

Re: apache::asp maintenance ,again [ In reply to ]
I had volunteered a while back but then Josh released an update and things continued. I'd like to see Apache::ASP continue as well.

Has anyone heard from josh?

Re: apache::asp maintenance ,again [ In reply to ]
How about creating a patch and sending it to the list. For the short term it lets the fixes get out. Perhaps we'll hear from Josh or can make other arrangements. What do you think?

Greg

Re: apache::asp maintenance ,again [ In reply to ]
On 8/14/2011 2:40 PM, Gregory Youngblood wrote:
> How about creating a patch and sending it to the list. For the short term it lets the fixes get out. Perhaps we'll hear from Josh or can make other arrangements. What do you think?
>
> Greg

Thanos, Greg, I am happy to go into co-maintainer on this. I can look at patches
or integrations when they come in for peer review, and can publish to web site still,
which is simply built off of the perldoc from ASP.pm.

Obviously not been highly engaged here, so great if others run with it!

@Thanos, I think you had the biggest bundle of work that needed to get out there
in terms of new db layer overhaul, so if you have any special considerations
or interest here would love to hear it.

Happy if some one hosts this in a reasonable open source repository, github,
sourceforge type of gig. I guess I would be partial to something with svn offered
and SourceForge seems to but no strong opinions here if it works and folks can
collaborate, spin off trial forks, etc.

Regards,

Josh

Re: apache::asp maintenance ,again [ In reply to ]
I tend to selfhost things but can put on sourceforge just as easily. I also prefer svn. I'd be glad to host it, as well as the SVN sample site if that would help. Just let me know.

Re: apache::asp maintenance ,again [ In reply to ]
Nice to hear that there are others interested as well !
I will be happy to provide any help needed .

@Gregory I think public repository is probably better idea ,this way you
will neither
be a bottleneck .Other then that anything that you ,Thanos & Josh prefer
will be fine.
I am personally is much more comfortable with svn then git ,but git have
nice branch
features .

Seems like the module can live in Josh's directory on CPAN and this is
great.
Thanks
Evgeny

Re: apache::asp maintenance ,again [ In reply to ]
On 15/08/2011 09:38 πμ, Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
> Nice to hear that there are others interested as well !
> I will be happy to provide any help needed .
>
> @Gregory I think public repository is probably better idea ,this way you
> will neither
> be a bottleneck .Other then that anything that you ,Thanos & Josh prefer
> will be fine.
> I am personally is much more comfortable with svn then git ,but git have
> nice branch
> features .

Ok, so we're all old-school ;)
I also prefer subversion to git mostly because I'm still figuring git out.
Let's set up a sourceforge project and be done with it (?)
I wouldn't mind github too.
I think I can start posting rudimentary stuff to the list for
comments/inclusion on Wednesday or Thursday when I'll be back from holidays.

Re: apache::asp maintenance ,again [ In reply to ]
Hah. I've used git before. It's good, merging and branching are really good as long as you get all the details right. To really use it effectively though I ended up creating a cookbook file of sorts with recipes for many of the more interesting uses. There were seemingly simple things that could have many unexpected consequences, such as forgetting one cli arg and your merge goes in as individual commits instead of as a single transaction. Have fun rolling that back if you need to. :)

I'm setting up Apache-ASP in SF. I'm using SVN for the rcs.

Josh, would you be open to providing an svn dump so we can maintain historical log on the check ins (assuming I can get that imported into SF).

Thanks
Greg

Re: apache::asp maintenance ,again [ In reply to ]
Apache-ASP initial setup on source forge done. Still have some project pages and content to fill in, I'll work on that over the next couple of days. Also need the code. I can import the revisions in CPAN, but I'd rather get a full svnadmin dump so I can hopefully maintain the history in the migration to sf.

Do you have sf user accounts? If so, please send me (private email probably better) your sourceforge usernames.

Thanks
Greg
Re: apache::asp maintenance ,again [ In reply to ]
Hi folks,

just wanted to raise my hand, as I am still using apache::asp in some middle
size projects to and would love to keep it

using in the future if the necessary changes will be made. I have been
already injecting a minor change that has been

included by Josh in one of the last releases and would also be willing to
work with others on the project, if possible.

In the past I came across some problems with UTF8 and FormFill when it comes
to german "Umlaute" for which I had to

find a solution on my own.

So lets try to keep it running :)

Uwe Riehm
Re: apache::asp maintenance ,again [ In reply to ]
Hello!

Is fork of Apache::ASP dead? Greg hasn't replied to my email. Maybe someone else should start project?

Regards

Re: apache::asp maintenance ,again [ In reply to ]
I'm pretty sure I replied. I'll try to find the message and resend it. if not I apologize. Work has taken all of my time while we are preparing for a production launch of a large project. I'm sure most can understand how that can have an impact on time to work on other things.

Thanks
Greg

Re: apache::asp maintenance ,again [ In reply to ]
I found the email, and I had not replied. My apologies, I did think I had replied. What I had done is mark it to follow up when I circled back around and got caught up on things (see previous email).

I also noticed you sent it barely 2 days ago. You know, sometimes people are not able reply right away for any number of reasons. A little patience can go a long way.