From: susie@apache.org
To: pmcs@apache.org
Cc: prc@apache.org
Subject: How to work with the PRC to issue Press Releases
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:13:37 -0700 (PDT)

How to work with the PRC to issue a press release. We are here to
help the PMCs, but in order for us to help you effectively, we would
like you to follow these general guidelines.

Audience: Any PMC who wants to issue a press release or generate media
coverage of a newsworthy event.

Overall Steps / Timeline:

1. In order to maximize the impact and effectiveness of press
announcements (also called "return on investment") the PRC normally
requires a MINIMUM of 2 weeks notice prior to each announcement. This
time is used to carry out all of the groundwork required to achieve as
large an impact as possible from a release. This means that from the
date you begin working with us, the PRC, to the date that you want
your release to hit the wire, we need a 2 week window. If the release
addresses urgent information (e.g a security problem and related patch
or release) then the PRC can arrange such releases on a much quicker
schedule. Also, if your PMC decides to independently complete any of
the steps on its own (such as Step 5, the most time consuming step),
then our PRC turnaround time will be correlatively shorter.

2. For a successful release, try to think of your announcement in
terms of telling a story (also called "a pitch"). Like any truly
compelling story, it should have certain key elements to grab and keep
your audience's attention. To help you order your thoughts and allow
the PRC to help in this process, the Press Release Questionnaire has
been created. This should be filled out and emailed to prc@apache.org
<mailto:prc@apache.org> . You can solicit the PRC's assistance in
devising the overall "pitch" or story for your release. Just let us
know how much help you will need and we can brainstorm story ideas
with you.

3. The PRC can work with you to create a press release, to whatever
extent necessary. For example, the PRC is happy to help you write the
first draft, structure your ideas, or just edit your drafts. The PRC
can also contact people and garner quotes suitable for inclusion if
this is required. Draft versions of releases can be submitted with
the Press Release Questionnaire.

4. The PRC will promote your release to the media by initiating
dialogue with contacts in the media, whether supplied by your group,
known to the PRC, or both. The intent is to allow the contacts to
prepare stories (also called "seeding stories"), talk to the release
contacts (typically ASF representatives) and carry out any background
research so that when the release hits the wire it will prompt a
number of fast, knowledgeable responses and/or stories. This is the
longest stage of the entire process and can be omitted if the release
is urgent. However, this is the most valuable stage of the process, as
it allows us to generate interest in your story prior to the issue of
a release. The more time we can spend on generating pre-release
interest, the more media impact and coverage your story will have on
the actual date of the release. Also, this step plays an important
role in building better relationships with media and analyst contacts,
a step that is critical in strengthening the ASF brand.

5. The PRC has access to a range of news bureaus (also called "wire
services") and will choose the most appropriate venues for your
release. If your group has specific requests or resources available
then details should be provided to the PRC so these can be
used. Additionally the announcement will be sent to all relevant
announcement mailing lists known to the PRC and your PR will be linked
to from the PRC or ASF home page. If there is extraordinary (national,
international, or otherwise significant) news coverage of your PR
event, the PRC would also like to link to those news articles from our
(home) page.

Press Release Questionnaire:

1. What do you need from the PRC? Be specific. Do you need help
coming up with ideas for a story? Do you need help drafting the
release? Help with generating pre-release interest from the media?
Help putting the release on the wire?

2. What are you trying to accomplish with this release? Announce a
new product? Make a position statement? Why will the public care about
what you have to say? Think about this carefully - because this will
impact what content we present and how we present it. Answer the
following for us (as clearly and without jargon as possible).

a. My release is important because:

i. X
ii. Y
iii. Z

b. Reasons why people will care about this release:

i. A
ii. B
iii. C

3. Who is the audience? Who are you trying to communicate with?
After all, a press release is a codified method of communicating with
a large audience. Are you targeting business media? Business decision
makers? End Users? Tech Developers? Answering this question as
thoroughly as you can is important because it will help us tailor the
appropriate message for your target audience. What are your metrics
for judging the success of this release? (I.e. If 3 major tech
websites pick this up, it will be successful. If 2 major business
papers pick this up it will be successful. If our web page hits go up
by 50%, etc.)

4. What timeframe are you looking at? Is there an absolutely rigid
date? (I.e. Coinciding with a conference, or a release date) If so,
please let us know. If your timeframe is more flexible, inform us of
that as well. In fact, if you have a release idea that is very
'general' and not tied to any fixed event (i.e. A general position
statement on the state of your industry/category), we're still happy
to work with you.

5. Are there quotes you would like to have represented in the
release? We can help you contact the people you would want to have
quoted, and work on drafting these quotes.

6. Has your PMC talked with press in the past that were interested
in your project? Give us a list of these names, if available, and we
will contact them for you.

7. Finally, who do you want to be the primary contacts for this
release? There may be media who want to ask follow up
questions. Please provide us with name, title, short bio, email, and
phone number.

--
Susan Wu
PRC Committee

Re: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 17:30 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
> So if someone could volunteer to lead the
> effort of satisfying the listed below requirements and prepare the press
> release, that would be really helpful.

I'll take care of it.

I'm assuming we won't be doing the release until January. Has anyone
thought about whether we should do it on the actual release date or a
day or two later? I would vote for doing it the next day, to make sure
there are no problems with CPAN propagation, etc.

- Perrin

Re: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:45:13 -0500
Perrin Harkins <perrin@elem.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 17:30 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > So if someone could volunteer to lead the
> > effort of satisfying the listed below requirements and prepare the
> > press release, that would be really helpful.
>
> I'll take care of it.
>
> I'm assuming we won't be doing the release until January. Has anyone
> thought about whether we should do it on the actual release date or a
> day or two later? I would vote for doing it the next day, to make
> sure there are no problems with CPAN propagation, etc.

I second that! Should we use one of the press release blasting
services to send it out? I'd be willing to chip in some $$$ for it
if everyone agrees that it would be useful.

Re: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Frank Wiles wrote:

> I second that! Should we use one of the press release blasting
> services to send it out? I'd be willing to chip in some $$$ for it
> if everyone agrees that it would be useful.

I'd be willing to make a contribution too. Shouldn't we be able to use
some Perl Foundation monies for that? If so, then people could make
donations to the Perl Foundation earmarked for promotion of mod_perl.

Larry

Re: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 14:16 -0600, Frank Wiles wrote:
> Should we use one of the press release blasting
> services to send it out?

I think that the ASF is going to handle that part for us. Thanks for
the offer though, Frank.

- Perrin

Re: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 17:30 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>So if someone could volunteer to lead the
>>effort of satisfying the listed below requirements and prepare the press
>>release, that would be really helpful.
>

> I'll take care of it.

yay, perrin++

> I'm assuming we won't be doing the release until January.

I believe so. but you never know.

> Has anyone
> thought about whether we should do it on the actual release date or a
> day or two later? I would vote for doing it the next day, to make sure
> there are no problems with CPAN propagation, etc.

Will there be a problem if the press release is done a week or 2 weeks
after the release? what difference does it make?

Re: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
Frank Wiles wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:45:13 -0500
> Perrin Harkins <perrin@elem.com> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 17:30 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
>>
>>>So if someone could volunteer to lead the
>>>effort of satisfying the listed below requirements and prepare the
>>>press release, that would be really helpful.
>>
>>I'll take care of it.
>>
>>I'm assuming we won't be doing the release until January. Has anyone
>>thought about whether we should do it on the actual release date or a
>>day or two later? I would vote for doing it the next day, to make
>>sure there are no problems with CPAN propagation, etc.
>

> I second that! Should we use one of the press release blasting
> services to send it out? I'd be willing to chip in some $$$ for it
> if everyone agrees that it would be useful.

Can we collect enough for a NY Times ad? :)
http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=5781

Re: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 17:15 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Will there be a problem if the press release is done a week or 2 weeks
> after the release? what difference does it make?

No difference at all, as far as I'm concerned.

- Perrin

Re: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 17:15 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Will there be a problem if the press release is done a week or 2 weeks
>>after the release? what difference does it make?
>

> No difference at all, as far as I'm concerned.

Same here, in fact I think it's even better to make it later to make two
waves (the first wave coming from the usual announcement).

Re: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:15:14 -0500
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> wrote:

> Will there be a problem if the press release is done a week or 2 weeks
> after the release? what difference does it make?

I would say we want the press release to be as close to the real
release date as possible. I would be afraid of /. picking up on
the release via the list or the website and it getting around the
Internet and then having a press release about it 2 weeks later.

If other sites get the word out in too much of advance of the
press release then their words are what spread and not ours. It
would also water down the effect, if a news organization slightly
covered the release after reading about it somewhere online they
aren't likely to cover it again when they receive the release.

Re: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
Frank Wiles wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:15:14 -0500
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> wrote:
>

>>Will there be a problem if the press release is done a week or 2 weeks
>>after the release? what difference does it make?
>

> I would say we want the press release to be as close to the real
> release date as possible. I would be afraid of /. picking up on
> the release via the list or the website and it getting around the
> Internet and then having a press release about it 2 weeks later.
>
> If other sites get the word out in too much of advance of the
> press release then their words are what spread and not ours. It
> would also water down the effect, if a news organization slightly
> covered the release after reading about it somewhere online they
> aren't likely to cover it again when they receive the release.

OK, that makes sense to me. Thanks Frank.

RE: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
> Can we collect enough for a NY Times ad? :)
> http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=5781

Making the NY Times is one thing. However, I think that one thing you guys
should keep your eyes on whilst doing this press release is search engine
penetration - how high up will the article get when someone types in the
most common keywords (mod_perl, perl apache, perl, apache, php or perl,
etc).

The reason I say this is that, when I first started researching mod_perl,
about 1.5 short years ago, search engines often led me to very helpful
articles on how to install/configure mod_perl, but these were frequently
emblazoned with the alarming qualifier "DO NOT USE MOD_PERL 2 IN A
PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT" or words to that effect.

and lest you've forgotten:
http://web.archive.org/web/20030604112031/http://beaucox.com/mason/mason-wit
h-apmp2-mini-HOWTO.htm

The problem is that these articles are all still around, and in particular
they are associated with otherwise otherwise highly marketable software like
Mason and Embperl.

IMHO, these qualifiers play a fairly significant role in the decline in
mod_perl usage stats we've been seeing in the last few months.

Tom.

Re: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
Tom Gazzini wrote:
>>Can we collect enough for a NY Times ad? :)
>>http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=5781
>

> Making the NY Times is one thing. However, I think that one thing you guys
> should keep your eyes on whilst doing this press release is search engine
> penetration - how high up will the article get when someone types in the
> most common keywords (mod_perl, perl apache, perl, apache, php or perl,
> etc).
>
> The reason I say this is that, when I first started researching mod_perl,
> about 1.5 short years ago, search engines often led me to very helpful
> articles on how to install/configure mod_perl, but these were frequently
> emblazoned with the alarming qualifier "DO NOT USE MOD_PERL 2 IN A
> PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT" or words to that effect.
>
> and lest you've forgotten:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20030604112031/http://beaucox.com/mason/mason-wit
> h-apmp2-mini-HOWTO.htm
>
> The problem is that these articles are all still around, and in particular
> they are associated with otherwise otherwise highly marketable software like
> Mason and Embperl.
>
> IMHO, these qualifiers play a fairly significant role in the decline in
> mod_perl usage stats we've been seeing in the last few months.

Any ideas how to fix that situation? go after the old articles and ask to
change them?

> >>Can we collect enough for a NY Times ad? :)
> >>http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=5781
> >

> > Making the NY Times is one thing. However, I think that one thing you
> guys
> > should keep your eyes on whilst doing this press release is search
> engine
> > penetration - how high up will the article get when someone types in the
> > most common keywords (mod_perl, perl apache, perl, apache, php or perl,
> > etc).
> >
> > The reason I say this is that, when I first started researching
> mod_perl,
> > about 1.5 short years ago, search engines often led me to very helpful
> > articles on how to install/configure mod_perl, but these were frequently
> > emblazoned with the alarming qualifier "DO NOT USE MOD_PERL 2 IN A
> > PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT" or words to that effect.
> >
> > and lest you've forgotten:
> >
> http://web.archive.org/web/20030604112031/http://beaucox.com/mason/mason-
> wit
> > h-apmp2-mini-HOWTO.htm
> >
> > The problem is that these articles are all still around, and in
> particular
> > they are associated with otherwise otherwise highly marketable software
> like
> > Mason and Embperl.
> >
> > IMHO, these qualifiers play a fairly significant role in the decline in
> > mod_perl usage stats we've been seeing in the last few months.
>
> Any ideas how to fix that situation? go after the old articles and ask to
> change them?

I wouldn't recommend that method (sorry, can't tell if you're being
sarcastic on email). I was involved in a similar media push a while ago, and
trying to get webmasters to update article content is like trying to cut off
a hydra's heads. There's so many mirrored and cached site abounding they
just keep cropping up everywhere. If you do it this way, expect it to take
about a year before you come close to cleaning everything up.

An alternative way would be to push out articles on the internet that
promote the READINESS of mod_perl2 for production envs. (If indeed, it is
ready - is it?). By judicious use of keywords in these articles, you can try
and ensure that they get to the top of search engine listings. So make sure
that any press releases you do get links to high profile sites, and contain
good keywords.

Otherwise, I fear that as more people move to apache2, the "mod_perl2 is not
ready" articles will increasingly push people towards the competition.

Tom.

RE: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 23:25 +0000, Tom Gazzini wrote:
> The reason I say this is that, when I first started researching mod_perl,
> about 1.5 short years ago, search engines often led me to very helpful
> articles on how to install/configure mod_perl, but these were frequently
> emblazoned with the alarming qualifier "DO NOT USE MOD_PERL 2 IN A
> PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT" or words to that effect.

Those were necessary warnings, in my opinion, since Red Hat was shipping
alpha code as their only mod_perl offering.

They also all say that it's not released yet, so all we have to do is
make sure people hear that it's released.

> IMHO, these qualifiers play a fairly significant role in the decline in
> mod_perl usage stats we've been seeing in the last few months.

I don't really think so. PHP has all the same qualifiers about use with
Apache 2.

- Perrin

Re: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
Tom Gazzini wrote:
[...]
>>Any ideas how to fix that situation? go after the old articles and ask to
>>change them?
>

> I wouldn't recommend that method (sorry, can't tell if you're being
> sarcastic on email).

I'm not sure myself. But every time I say/hear 'rewrite the history' I
think "1984". So I prefer to think that it was a sarcastic suggestion.

> I was involved in a similar media push a while ago, and
> trying to get webmasters to update article content is like trying to cut off
> a hydra's heads. There's so many mirrored and cached site abounding they
> just keep cropping up everywhere. If you do it this way, expect it to take
> about a year before you come close to cleaning everything up.
>
> An alternative way would be to push out articles on the internet that
> promote the READINESS of mod_perl2 for production envs. (If indeed, it is
> ready - is it?).

I'm not using it myself in production, since I don't have one at the
moment. But based on other people's comments on the users list it
definitely is.

> By judicious use of keywords in these articles, you can try
> and ensure that they get to the top of search engine listings. So make sure
> that any press releases you do get links to high profile sites, and contain
> good keywords.
>
> Otherwise, I fear that as more people move to apache2, the "mod_perl2 is not
> ready" articles will increasingly push people towards the competition.

Sure, writing new articles is a good idea.

Re: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
Stas Bekman wrote:

> Tom Gazzini wrote:
>
>> By judicious use of keywords in these articles, you can try
>> and ensure that they get to the top of search engine listings. So
>> make sure
>> that any press releases you do get links to high profile sites, and
>> contain
>> good keywords.
>>
>> Otherwise, I fear that as more people move to apache2, the "mod_perl2
>> is not
>> ready" articles will increasingly push people towards the competition.
>

> Sure, writing new articles is a good idea.

Blogs is the effective way to boost web pages search ranks, due to its
highly cross-hyperlinking nature and like contents. RSS feeds have also
been the most efficient means to spread the meme[1] across the online
communities.

Not only that, regularly updated blogs will definitely move those
related but static outdated articles on the web down and off the google
search result pages.

I would suggest that, if possible, guys here start writing blogs,
talking about modperl once a while, and have your RSS feeds registered
to sites like pubsub, artima.com, technorati, etc. The result will very
sure be apparent before long.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

Re: making the Press Release [ In reply to ]
Perrin,

I think this is a nice summary of libapreq2 Joe just posted that can be
included in the PR as an incentive to upgrade to mp2.