Mailing List Archive

FAQ (WAS: misc advocacy ideas)
Quoting Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org>:

> > what i had in mind was a very very quick faq of perhaps 10 questions,
> > perhaps only 5 or 2. the important thing is that it is concise and only
> > updated when really needed (ie when people post the same question over
> > and over again - which btw is also a sort of redundancy ;) )
> > so let us just start with questions that _really_ are mod_perl faq's.
> > here's one that spring to mind
>
> But we have exactly that already: http://perl.apache.org/start/index.html

hmm, i seems can't really explain what i would like this FAQ to acomplish.
Probably because i don't have a clear idea myself :)

i imagine a lot of diferent kind of people asking diffenrent kind of questions:
from non-perl programmers thru expert mod_perl programmers to project managers.

i see the current perl.apache.org as mostly a documentaion site for web
developers who happens to like perl, but personally i would like it more to be
for anyone who happened to come by.

(so, when i think about it i don't see the FAQ as "best of" from the mailing
list.)
if there a 3-4 categories of people viewing the FAQ it could contain something
like this :

* do i need to learn perl ?
* can i use mod_perl on Windows ?
* can i access a MySql database via mod_perl
* can i use mod_perl and PHP on the same time
* does mod_perl run on MicroSoft IIS
* is mod_perl faster than jsp-pages
* we need a CMS - where can i download one and use
* we need a search engine - where can i download one and use
* we need a shoping cart - where can i download one and use
* is mod_perl object orientated ?

* how much converting of my cgi scripts do i need to do in order to shift to
mod_perl ?
* why doesn't my changes show up after i refresh my page ?
* do i really have to restart apache for every single change i made ?
* can i compile mod_perl with the apxs tool ?

* how much does mod_perl cost ?
* where can wwe get support ?
* the software is broken and we can't sue anyone. what do we do ?
* perl is dead, right - so why go with mod_perl ?
* we heard apache is insecure - is this true ?
* can we integrate mod_perl with our Economy systems

etc.

./allan

Re: FAQ (WAS: misc advocacy ideas) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 08:10 +0100, allan juul wrote:
> * do i need to learn perl ?
> * can i use mod_perl on Windows ?
> * can i access a MySql database via mod_perl
> * can i use mod_perl and PHP on the same time
> * does mod_perl run on MicroSoft IIS
> * is mod_perl faster than jsp-pages
> * we need a CMS - where can i download one and use
> * we need a search engine - where can i download one and use
> * we need a shoping cart - where can i download one and use
> * is mod_perl object orientated ?
>
> * how much converting of my cgi scripts do i need to do in order to shift to
> mod_perl ?
> * why doesn't my changes show up after i refresh my page ?
> * do i really have to restart apache for every single change i made ?
> * can i compile mod_perl with the apxs tool ?
>
> * how much does mod_perl cost ?
> * where can wwe get support ?
> * the software is broken and we can't sue anyone. what do we do ?
> * perl is dead, right - so why go with mod_perl ?
> * we heard apache is insecure - is this true ?
> * can we integrate mod_perl with our Economy systems

While I agree with Stas that I've never felt the desire to point people
to a FAQ instead of to a specific place in the docs, I do like your
selection of questions. Maybe there could be a place for this, as a
sort of "first stop" for newbies. I still think it would mostly point
to things in the docs, rather than contain new information, but that's
okay.

- Perrin

Re: FAQ (WAS: misc advocacy ideas) [ In reply to ]
>> * how much does mod_perl cost ?
>> * where can wwe get support ?
>> * the software is broken and we can't sue anyone. what do we do ?
>> * perl is dead, right - so why go with mod_perl ?
>> * we heard apache is insecure - is this true ?
>> * can we integrate mod_perl with our Economy systems
>
> While I agree with Stas that I've never felt the desire to point people
> to a FAQ instead of to a specific place in the docs, I do like your
> selection of questions. Maybe there could be a place for this, as a
> sort of "first stop" for newbies. I still think it would mostly point
> to things in the docs, rather than contain new information, but that's
> okay.

Sounds like a Wiki might be useful for this type of content.

Re: FAQ (WAS: misc advocacy ideas) [ In reply to ]
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 08:10 +0100, allan juul wrote:
>
>>* do i need to learn perl ?
>>* can i use mod_perl on Windows ?
>>* can i access a MySql database via mod_perl
>>* can i use mod_perl and PHP on the same time
>>* does mod_perl run on MicroSoft IIS
>>* is mod_perl faster than jsp-pages
>>* we need a CMS - where can i download one and use
>>* we need a search engine - where can i download one and use
>>* we need a shoping cart - where can i download one and use
>>* is mod_perl object orientated ?
>>
>>* how much converting of my cgi scripts do i need to do in order to shift to
>>mod_perl ?
>>* why doesn't my changes show up after i refresh my page ?
>>* do i really have to restart apache for every single change i made ?
>>* can i compile mod_perl with the apxs tool ?
>>
>>* how much does mod_perl cost ?
>>* where can wwe get support ?
>>* the software is broken and we can't sue anyone. what do we do ?
>>* perl is dead, right - so why go with mod_perl ?
>>* we heard apache is insecure - is this true ?
>>* can we integrate mod_perl with our Economy systems
>

> While I agree with Stas that I've never felt the desire to point people
> to a FAQ instead of to a specific place in the docs, I do like your
> selection of questions. Maybe there could be a place for this, as a
> sort of "first stop" for newbies. I still think it would mostly point
> to things in the docs, rather than contain new information, but that's
> okay.

Shouldn't this belong to: http://perl.apache.org/start/index.html
It was created mainly by Bill Moseley a few years ago, who came with the
same ambition as Allan today. I think if you want to extend/reshape it,
that would be great.

Re: FAQ (WAS: misc advocacy ideas) [ In reply to ]
Quoting Perrin Harkins <perrin@elem.com>:

> While I agree with Stas that I've never felt the desire to point people
> to a FAQ instead of to a specific place in the docs, I do like your
> selection of questions. Maybe there could be a place for this, as a
> sort of "first stop" for newbies. I still think it would mostly point
> to things in the docs, rather than contain new information, but that's
> okay.

exactly!

the FAQ answers could perhaps just be the first 100 words or so followed by a
hyperlink to the docs answer "..." it doesn't have to be that extensive at all.
like:

---
..
..
5) Sometimes My Script Works, Sometimes It Does Not - why is that ?

in a situation where a script seems to work, but sometimes it screws up ... <a
href="http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#Sometimes_it_Works__Som
etimes_it_Doesn_t">Click here elaborate answer</a></p>

./allan

Re: FAQ (WAS: misc advocacy ideas) [ In reply to ]
allan juul wrote:
> Quoting Perrin Harkins <perrin@elem.com>:
>

>>While I agree with Stas that I've never felt the desire to point people
>>to a FAQ instead of to a specific place in the docs, I do like your
>>selection of questions. Maybe there could be a place for this, as a
>>sort of "first stop" for newbies. I still think it would mostly point
>>to things in the docs, rather than contain new information, but that's
>>okay.
>

> exactly!
>
> the FAQ answers could perhaps just be the first 100 words or so followed by a
> hyperlink to the docs answer "..." it doesn't have to be that extensive at all.
> like:

> ---
> ..
> ..
> 5) Sometimes My Script Works, Sometimes It Does Not - why is that ?

> in a situation where a script seems to work, but sometimes it screws up ... <a
> href="http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#Sometimes_it_Works__Som
> etimes_it_Doesn_t">Click here elaborate answer</a></p>

I think you are talking about something like that:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/frequent.html

Re: FAQ (WAS: misc advocacy ideas) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 14:38 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
> I think you are talking about something like that:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/frequent.html

That's a pretty short page. Maybe we could fill it out with some of the
other FAQs that Allan listed and just re-title it as the FAQ.

Allan, if you want to take a shot at it, I'll edit it for you and put it
up. We can put it up somewhere else for review first if that makes
people more comfortable with it.

- Perrin

Re: FAQ (WAS: misc advocacy ideas) [ In reply to ]
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 14:38 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>I think you are talking about something like that:
>>http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/frequent.html
>

> That's a pretty short page. Maybe we could fill it out with some of the
> other FAQs that Allan listed and just re-title it as the FAQ.

Yes, all I was trying to say that someone has suggested a similar idea
before and that's how that page was started. As you can see it didn't
quite get off the ground. But I think this is exactly what Allan has on
his mind.

> Allan, if you want to take a shot at it, I'll edit it for you and put it
> up. We can put it up somewhere else for review first if that makes
> people more comfortable with it.

Not really, just start adding those things, no need to slow the progress
on that mini-project. And it shouldn't be too hard to give Allan commit
access if there are many patches from Allan.

Re: FAQ (WAS: misc advocacy ideas) [ In reply to ]
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Perrin Harkins wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 14:38 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
>>
>>> I think you are talking about something like that:
>>> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/frequent.html
>>

>> That's a pretty short page. Maybe we could fill it out with some of the
>> other FAQs that Allan listed and just re-title it as the FAQ.
>

> Yes, all I was trying to say that someone has suggested a similar idea
> before and that's how that page was started. As you can see it didn't
> quite get off the ground. But I think this is exactly what Allan has on
> his mind.
>
>> Allan, if you want to take a shot at it, I'll edit it for you and put it
>> up. We can put it up somewhere else for review first if that makes
>> people more comfortable with it.
>

> Not really, just start adding those things, no need to slow the progress
> on that mini-project. And it shouldn't be too hard to give Allan commit
> access if there are many patches from Allan.

i will take a shot at producing a FAQ list then as soon as i find the
time in between deadline hell (;

since i probably don't know some/many of the answers it's a good idea if
Perrin could edit it (even if the FAQ answers are just excerpts of text
from the real docs)

./allan