Mailing List Archive

re: posting news on perl.apache.org
[.moving this into a different thread. let's keep the PR thread focused
just on that: publishing PR]

> * news flash on frontpage on perl.apache.org
>
> one thing (and a thing which constantly annoys me from a PR point of
> view) is the fact that the mod_perl website's frontpage doesn't have a
> news section. it's no-one's fault but even that it's updated frequently,
> there aren't really any news on the frontpage. on that note i like the
> idea the way they do it on perl.org - probably some rss feeds (?)

Replying here to Allan and Perrin at once.

No news is better than stale news. So I'm really -0 on starting any news
sections. We tried this before, it never worked. The only way I can see
this working if someone volunteers to keep it up2date and really does the
work, and not for the first week.

> i think we should at least do a news flash somwhere on the slightly too
> informative (IMO) frontpage.

perl.apache.org is really a documentation site, it's not a news site.
Perhaps someone could start /.org style modperl news site, in which case
it should be much easier to keep it alive, by just letting others post
stories. perl.apache.org could link to it and have RSS feed to it.

re: posting news on perl.apache.org [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 16:29 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
> No news is better than stale news. So I'm really -0 on starting any news
> sections. We tried this before, it never worked.

Really? I don't remember that. On the old site? Updates were kind of
difficult back then.

> The only way I can see
> this working if someone volunteers to keep it up2date and really does the
> work, and not for the first week.

I volunteered for this, and I will keep it going.

> perl.apache.org is really a documentation site, it's not a news site.
> Perhaps someone could start /.org style modperl news site, in which case
> it should be much easier to keep it alive, by just letting others post
> stories. perl.apache.org could link to it and have RSS feed to it.

I will work on providing an RSS feed later, but I think it's important
to have news on the front page, like php.net and most others do.

- Perrin

Re: posting news on perl.apache.org [ In reply to ]
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 16:29 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>No news is better than stale news. So I'm really -0 on starting any news
>>sections. We tried this before, it never worked.
>

> Really? I don't remember that. On the old site? Updates were kind of
> difficult back then.

Correct, the old site.

>>The only way I can see
>>this working if someone volunteers to keep it up2date and really does the
>>work, and not for the first week.
>

> I volunteered for this, and I will keep it going.

perrin++. I guess in the worst case if things stale down, we can always
remove it later.

>>perl.apache.org is really a documentation site, it's not a news site.
>>Perhaps someone could start /.org style modperl news site, in which case
>>it should be much easier to keep it alive, by just letting others post
>>stories. perl.apache.org could link to it and have RSS feed to it.
>
> I will work on providing an RSS feed later, but I think it's important
> to have news on the front page, like php.net and most others do.

But RSS feed to what? Or do you mean RSS feed of perl.apache.org to other
sites? I was thinking to have something like modperl.use.perl.org or
elsewhere where there will be news posted and just have perl.apache.org
include RSS to that site. So one doesn't change anything on perl.apache.org.

Re: posting news on perl.apache.org [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 17:02 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
> But RSS feed to what? Or do you mean RSS feed of perl.apache.org to other
> sites?

That is what I meant.

> I was thinking to have something like modperl.use.perl.org or
> elsewhere where there will be news posted and just have perl.apache.org
> include RSS to that site.

We need to get this going in a hurry. I think I can do something quick
that will be fine for our current intended use. If people want to do
something fancier later, we can.

- Perrin

Re: posting news on perl.apache.org [ In reply to ]
Didn't take23.org attempt to do this a couple of years ago? What ever
happened to that?

adam

Re: posting news on perl.apache.org [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 10:22 -0500, Adam Prime wrote:
> Didn't take23.org attempt to do this a couple of years ago? What ever
> happened to that?

It was Matt's personal project, hosted on a DSL line.

My idea is that anyone with access to the docs repository can update the
news, and that we pull news from the list, assuming that the target
audience for news is not on it.

- Perrin