really soon now (my guess another 3-4 weeks, but could happen earlier
too). So it's time to start thinking about preparing a PR that was
discussed here before. Any takers to lead this effort?

Re: PR release for mp2.0.0? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 11:05 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
> For those who haven't noticed mp2-RC1 was released and we should get 2.0
> really soon now (my guess another 3-4 weeks, but could happen earlier
> too). So it's time to start thinking about preparing a PR that was
> discussed here before. Any takers to lead this effort?

I'm going to take another stab at getting a news section integrated into
the front page of the site. I will ask for feedback when I have
something working to show. Meanwhile, it's probably worth changing the
front page to reflect RC1 being out. I need to get the site building
stuff set up in order to work on this. I think I'll have time for that
tomorrow night.

- Perrin

Re: PR release for mp2.0.0? [ In reply to ]
Stas Bekman wrote:
> For those who haven't noticed mp2-RC1 was released and we should get 2.0
> really soon now (my guess another 3-4 weeks, but could happen earlier
> too). So it's time to start thinking about preparing a PR that was
> discussed here before. Any takers to lead this effort?

hi

not taking the lead, but here a few thoughts to what could help the PR:

* news flash on frontpage on perl.apache.org

one thing (and a thing which constantly annoys me from a PR point of
view) is the fact that the mod_perl website's frontpage doesn't have a
news section. it's no-one's fault but even that it's updated frequently,
there aren't really any news on the frontpage. on that note i like the
idea the way they do it on perl.org - probably some rss feeds (?)

i think we should at least do a news flash somwhere on the slightly too
informative (IMO) frontpage.

* bullet list of perhaps 5 major reasons to upgrade

can someone tell joe public in very few sentences what i gain by
upgrading to mod_perl 2?

* faq

this is such a web thing for both developers and project managers and
directors. couldn't we write a perl program that scans the total mail on
the mailing list extract the 50 most used words. seriously, it would be
great to have someone to write a faq - someone with the time to do it.

* what does a banner ad cost on perl.com, could we get one cheapish ?

a banner on perl.com should in theory really be free since they run
mod_perl themselves and get articles i belive by the mod_perl community.
banners elsewhere - dont we know people uses this great software who may
want to support it back by other means that mouth to mouth ?

* timing - is 3-4 weeks a good date or does the news drown in
forgetfulness (xmas and new years hollidays). maybe it's even better to
wait to january ?

proper PR is probaly always well-planned. to me it looks like a very bad
idea to release in the middle of xmas fever (altought it's a very nice
christmas gift of course). it should also co-incide with the above
suggest of a possible banner of course

* merchandise - geek.com ?

does mod_perl_1 merchandise even exists ?
we might wanna ask people if they can help on the mod_perl list

* how about a good slogan competition ?

not kidding. the slogan should probably preferably reflect above wanted
bullet list.

* how about a possible list of comany users of mod_perl2 [if any
notable]

* lastly, don't know if this has been discused before, i really think
that we should appoint 1-2 people responsible for the pr of this
software. [people who can afford the time envolved]

./allan

Re: PR release for mp2.0.0? [ In reply to ]
Stas Bekman wrote:
> For those who haven't noticed mp2-RC1 was released and we should get 2.0
> really soon now (my guess another 3-4 weeks, but could happen earlier
> too). So it's time to start thinking about preparing a PR that was
> discussed here before. Any takers to lead this effort?

A little clarification: by posting this I've meant to first of all figure
out how we post a PR (via ASF/TPF/TicketMaster/etc), not what we post
inside a PR. Both should be discussed, but if we don't have the "how" part
resolved, there is no point discussing what should be posted.

Re: PR release for mp2.0.0? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 16:34 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
> A little clarification: by posting this I've meant to first of all figure
> out how we post a PR (via ASF/TPF/TicketMaster/etc), not what we post
> inside a PR.

Acronym overload. I thought you meant "public relations", not "press
release." If a press release is what you have in mind, it should come
from the ASF (Apache, in case anyone didn't know). They are the most
respected name in free software these days outside of Linux itself.
Want to post a follow-up question about how to do it on the members
list?

- Perrin

Re: PR release for mp2.0.0? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 13 December 2004 09:05 am, Stas Bekman wrote:
> For those who haven't noticed mp2-RC1 was released and we should get 2.0
> really soon now (my guess another 3-4 weeks, but could happen earlier
> too). So it's time to start thinking about preparing a PR that was
> discussed here before. Any takers to lead this effort?

Anybody Submitted this to slashdot yet? Seems like a good place to get the
word out to geeks. Especially those that have been fretting about not using
mp2 until it's 'released'.

--
Jayce^
Re: PR release for mp2.0.0? [ In reply to ]
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 16:34 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>A little clarification: by posting this I've meant to first of all figure
>>out how we post a PR (via ASF/TPF/TicketMaster/etc), not what we post
>>inside a PR.
>

> Acronym overload. I thought you meant "public relations", not "press
> release."

Yes, sorry. I just thought that folks have remember this thread:
http://gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/advocacy/71984

> If a press release is what you have in mind, it should come
> from the ASF (Apache, in case anyone didn't know). They are the most
> respected name in free software these days outside of Linux itself.
> Want to post a follow-up question about how to do it on the members
> list?

Good idea. I'll do that. But it won't hurt to check other channels. Does
it have to be one press release?

Re: PR release for mp2.0.0? [ In reply to ]
Jayce^ wrote:
> On Monday 13 December 2004 09:05 am, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>For those who haven't noticed mp2-RC1 was released and we should get 2.0
>>really soon now (my guess another 3-4 weeks, but could happen earlier
>>too). So it's time to start thinking about preparing a PR that was
>>discussed here before. Any takers to lead this effort?
>

> Anybody Submitted this to slashdot yet? Seems like a good place to get the
> word out to geeks. Especially those that have been fretting about not using
> mp2 until it's 'released'.

This is planned. We are trying to find someone who can raise the chances
to get this submitted by /.org. Do you know a /.org insider?