Mailing List Archive

New User Inquiry
Based on the archives, no one has posted on this advocacy list since
April, 2009. First and foremost would be some assurance that this list
(and underlying technology) is still active.

I have been using mod_perl since its release and the author of the CPAN
module Apache::ChildExit. IMHO Apache::ChildExit fixes a shortcoming in
Apache::Registry that made it unusable. I am also an adovcate of 2 tier
server architecture which I've implemented as BerkeleyDB::Lite on CPAN.
Probably I imagined a bias against 2 tier architecture that caused me to
stupidly ignore the mod_perl community for years.

Mea Culpa. My life is in shambles. For the past 2 or 3 years I've
subsisted by building free (or nearly free) websites. In the last 6
months, I can't even find opportunities to work for nothing.

As it ever was, eventually every technology merges into a dominent
product. Web development remained independent through MS-ASP,
Java/Struts, Adobe Flash/DreamWeaver. But now, whether I am pitching web
sites to end-customers, sub-contracting to web-site designers, or
interviewing for a job, the universal response is that knowledge of Drupal
equates to knowledge of website development and implementation. So I am
hopelessly unqualified.

After 20 years of Perl, the shift to Drupal is too fundamental:
Considering the obstacles, I might as well pursue a career writing IPhone
apps, or dentistry for that matter. And I still manage a few
sophisticated mod_perl implementations ( http://www.outdoorathlete.com/ ).
The obvious decision is to port these sites to Drupal and conquer the
learning curve. But if there's even a nascent effort to promote mod_perl
as an alternative, I would prefer to participate.

FWIW, if I get a chance to post another, I will stop the belly-aching.

Thanks!

-Jim

Re: New User Inquiry [ In reply to ]
Please see the increasingly active mod_perl users list:

http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html

Re: New User Inquiry [ In reply to ]
Jim Schueler said:

> After 20 years of Perl, the shift to Drupal is too fundamental:
> Considering the obstacles, I might as well pursue a career writing
> IPhone apps, or dentistry for that matter. And I still manage a few
> sophisticated mod_perl implementations (
> http://www.outdoorathlete.com/ ). The obvious decision is to port
> these sites to Drupal and conquer the learning curve. But if
> there's even a nascent effort to promote mod_perl as an alternative,
> I would prefer to participate.
>
> FWIW, if I get a chance to post another, I will stop the belly-aching.
>
> Thanks!

One option is to join the marketing mailing list at the Perl
Foundation. That's a low traffic list too (although not as slow as
this one :-P) but it has a couple people in there that have the
intention of making a difference when it comes to the visibility of
all things Perl.

I think it would be great to have a couple people there willing to the
raise mod_perl's banner. Here are the relevant list headers:

Also, there's an events mailing list at TPF, and Enlightened Perl
Organization have some lists where matters like these are discussed.

To me, it seems Gabor Szabo is one of the more prolific ones, but he
(and the rest of the people that care about awareness/visibility) need
any help they can get. Feel free to sign up and make yourself known!
:)

- Salve

--
#!/usr/bin/perl
sub AUTOLOAD{$AUTOLOAD=~/.*::(\d+)/;seek(DATA,$1,0);print# Salve Joshua Nilsen