I've found nothing on the market that can replace this machine. small,
pocket-sized, root access, text shell, precise stylus.

-- hendrik

Re: My N800 is dying [ In reply to ]
Hendrik Boom wrote at 2015-11-26 18:18 -0600:
> My N800 is dying -- one crucial part is failing.

:( Sorry

> If I lock the screen, I need to press two buttons to wake it up again, a
> bar-shaped one, and then a square one. The square button on my N800 no
> longer works. The only way I've found to turn it on again is to take the
> battery out and put it back again and to reboot.
>
> Is there some other way to get it out of screen-lock mode? Can I perhaps
> change some configuration to get it to wake up with a different procedure?

I am not familiar with the N800, so may not be able to help much.

There may be a command to unlock the display, which could be bound to
a custom key or key combination, though some of the keys are probably
ignored when the display is locked.

https://wiki.maemo.org/Phone_control#Securing
http://maemo.org/community/maemo-developers/command_to_turn_on_the_screen_led-maemo_n810/
http://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/stuff/n800/keyboard/
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46862
https://wiki.maemo.org/Remapping_keyboard/user_vis_awesome_kbdmapping

> Is there a way to replace the square button? Or to repair it?

Have you considered opening the device and cleaning the button?

> Does anyone know of a plausible replacement?
>
> I've found nothing on the market that can replace this machine. small,
> pocket-sized, root access, text shell, precise stylus.

No, there are few devices as useful as these tablets. The N900 is
basically also obsolete now. You could look at the Neo900, but it is
not available yet I think.